Sign in to follow this  
Chock

FlyInside Bell 47G for MSFS released

If you've seen trainees trying to hover  those little R22's, then you know what your going to get. I love it. Even in Vietnam war pilots bio's, I've read them mention to new pilots "just think about the movements". There is no such thing as "ham-fisting" the controls in a light copter, and this little Bell will prove it to you. Self induced pendulum effect is easy to do (in realistic mode) if you over control. 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

1 minute ago, jimcarrel said:

If you've seen trainees trying to hover  those little R22's, then you know what your going to get. I love it. Even in Vietnam war pilots bio's, I've read them mention to new pilots "just think about the movements". There is no such thing as "ham-fisting" the controls in a light copter, and this little Bell will prove it to you. Self induced pendulum effect is easy to do (in realistic mode) if you over control. 

In talking to a Heli CFI he said a typical training for a new student was to let them take one control at a time. First the rudder only , then, the collective only , then the cyclic only , . Then two at a time. He said the first time they tried all three at once, he made sure he was really high, because he said that Heli would be all over the sky. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Dunno, I've not tried that 135

you havent tried the H135 based on the popularity of this helo and the fact it is free?  I'm shocked to be honest

• Like 2

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

23 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

In talking to a Heli CFI he said a typical training for a new student was to let them take one control at a time. First the rudder only , then, the collective only , then the cyclic only , . Then two at a time. He said the first time they tried all three at once, he made sure he was really high, because he said that Heli would be all over the sky. 

We have one CFI that is rated in both fixed and rotary winds. He told me: in R22 you think where you want to fly and helicopter moves. But if you move you hand and think it will fly there it will be all over the place LOL

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

9 minutes ago, karlz said:

Chock, you need to fly the H135 now in comparison.  

And make sure you select advanced mode. I am going to have flown over 200 miles this morning alone in the H 135. After flying some of the default and a couple of payware aircraft in MSFS 2020, this H 135 is a pleasure to fly. Everything works as it should. The AP, the GPS, engine operation, lighting, everything. Amazing. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Just finished a 57NM FSE trip from EGCC to EGCS and I'm shaking.

That was intense !

2 hours ago, Chock said:

Yes there is, video quick preview/review in approximately 1-2 hours. Just editing it now

I thought there must be. Cheers .

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

56 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

When I first started flying RC copters, I had a RC pilot that helped me, and he used to demo RC copters. I practiced hovering for literally weeks before I felt comfortable hovering nose in and side views. You make one mistake, and that thing comes at you, and you better duck or pray. Those 60 size engines and long blades make a Lethal  weapon. To see what it is like, launch a Heli in MSFS, get in front of it so are looking at the nose, and try hovering. 

This happend at park I was at. Had just left. https://www.myplainview.com/news/article/Man-killed-in-radio-controlled-helicopter-accident-9076441.php

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Dunno, I've not tried that 135

The 135 is really good, and getting better with each update...

As a rated helicopter pilot with 1300 hours in turbines, some 300 so in piston, I was a bit interested in checking out the flight dynamics of the Bell 47.  Never really liked flying it in real life, too slow, even compared to the R22.  Had a autorotation, closer to the Jetranger with the higher inertia blades.. but I preferred the Robinson R44 for piston work..  

35.00 US dollars,  thats a bit steep for the Bat Copter.  Sidelining this one..

Edited by karlz
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, frieone said:

My friend knew that instructor. Sometimes at the field I flew in Atlanta, families would come down with their kids to watch. I would always pack up and go home when I saw that. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, karlz said:

The 135 is really good, and getting better with each update...

As a rated helicopter pilot with 1300 hours in turbines, some 300 so in piston, I was a bit interested in checking out he dynamics of the Bell 47.  Never really liked flying it in real life too slow, even compared to the R22.  Had a autorotation, closer to the Jetranger with the higher inertia blades.. Much preferred the R44 over it.

But for 35.00 US dollars,  thats a bit steep for the Bat Copter.

For some reason the exchange rate gods are smiling on Brits again as we get it for £25 including 20% VAT.

4 hours ago, Chock said:

LMAO, you beat me to it, I was going to be the first flight simmer to do the preposterous  traditional whining about stuff on this one. 🤣

You’re welcome 😉 

Can anyone who has flown both, compare this to the DCS Huey in terms of flight model believability?  I love the Huey. Bucket loads of character.

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

The DCS Huey is heavier and is easier to control, This Bell is  way lighter and much more "touchy" with controls. After reading a lot of pilot memoirs of the Vietnam era, I'm thinking this rendition of the Bell 47 is maybe closer to reality than the DCS Huey. (no, I haven't personally piloted either one) and I am comparing control movements  between the two. Of course their is literally no way for either one to be perfect. I think (I'm going out on a limb here) this Bell 47 is about as accurate as the famous 206 of FSX, but I haven't yet tried some of the emergency flight maneuvers required. Mostly what I fly in DCS is the Huey, I love all choppers.

The Bell 47 - I started with the mode for "realistic" but with the auto governor setting, since then I've changed to auto governor off in the setup and in sim the governor switch on, on the cyclic stick. then created mixture controls. You can play with some of the temperatures with mixture control. (Don't forget, I am an old eccentric guy).   

• Like 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

I was chatting to the pilot of G-HUEY some time back - that's the Bell UH-1H Iroquois based in the UK - who also flies their OH-6 Cayuse (aka Loach) which was actually shot down once, knocking out its engine but it successfully autorotated, was recovered and repaired and was then with the DEA for a while after returning from the Vietnam War. He told me the Loach is very twitchy and maneuverable, whereas their Huey is ponderous and sluggish by comparison. So he said he much preferred flying the Huey as it was more forgiving of the odd incorrect control movement, whereas the Loach will be all over the place if you do that.

With regards to other choppers, I know the R-22 is somewhat twitchy - intentionally so for training, since it enforces the habit of subtle control inputs and that's replicated fairly well in Helicopter Simulator which I also reviewed on my youtube channel if anyone is curious about that.

The DCS Huey is good fun, but in light of what that pilot of G-HUEY told me, I'm inclined to think it's a bit more twitchy than the real thing, although I will admit most of my knowledge about the Huey is from books such as Robert Mason's Chickenhawk (highly recommended book) and a few other Vietnam War books and technical manuals for the UH-1 and such. So of course most of what I'm on about is more of an informed opinion than a fact based on real life experience, because I've literally only ever been at the controls of one helicopter (a Bell 206 JetRanger) and that was only for a very brief time, with predictably cack results as you can imagine, it wasn't awful, but it wasn't great either.

Anyway, given that this Bell-47 is approximately the same price as a Carenado Cessna, yet models engine stress and has many selectable and customisable options for how it flies and reacts to control inputs, all of which can be adjusted on the fly, I think 25 quid is not too bad a price. And it's not as if we're snowed under with choices for whirlybirds in MSFS, so it's a welcome addition.

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here