Sign in to follow this  
regis9

Carenado Seneca Released

5 hours ago, SAS443 said:

I've seen some very contradicting reviews of this one. Ranging from top notch to awful. Acquaintance of mine (flew the Seneca for his CPL, granted it was 20 years ago) gave it a 2/5 rating, mostly due to how engine-out (yaw/ airspeed decay / cross control) was portraited. Engine parameters like oil temp/pressures were off aswell.

Yup, it seems to divide people a bit, but what we also have to consider that it's a bit like when people say 'I've flown a PA28'; this could mean having flown anything from a fixed gear Piper Dakota to a retractable Turbo Arrow. There are a lot of different PA28s. Hell I've flown three of the exact same variant and even those were different from one another lol!

And it's no different for the PA34; it's been in and out of production for 55 years over five different variants, so that'd be different engines, different ailerons, different wing profiles, different MTOWS, different avionics and so on. I suspect that's why opinions are varying so much on whether it is good or bad.

• Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Maybe if Carenado give this a decent discount in a sale I'll grab it (like the Seminole and Mooney last year), but otherwise I'll be waiting for the Milviz C310

Edited by Matchstick
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Matchstick said:

Maybe if Carenado give this a decent discount in a sale I'll grab it (like the Seminole and Mooney last year), but otherwise I'll be waiting for the Milviz C310

I guess that depends on what Milviz end up charging for their 310. I suspect it might not be 25 quid like this thing is.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

8 minutes ago, Chock said:

Yup, it seems to divide people a bit, but what we also have to consider that it's a bit like when people say 'I've flown a PA28'; this could mean having flown anything from a fixed gear Piper Dakota to a retractable Turbo Arrow. There are a lot of different PA28s. Hell I've flown three of the exact same variant and even those were different from one another lol!

And it's no different for the PA34; it's been in and out of production for 55 years over five different variants, so that'd be different engines, different ailerons, different wing profiles, different MTOWS, different avionics and so on. I suspect that's why opinions are varying so much on whether it is good or bad.

Nice review, I'll have to finish watching tomorrow as I got caught up in too many detailed forum posts today. Think I posted more today than I usually do in a month. I may get it, but wish it were $15 instead, $30 seems kind of high. I'm not sure but a few things may distract me like the glare shield thing.

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

8 minutes ago, Chock said:

I guess that depends on what Milviz end up charging for their 310. I suspect it might not be 25 quid like this thing is.

That'd be right... More like the same price as the one in P3D...  (maybe even more considering what's going into it...)

Also, the Corsair does prop feathering (albeit backwards right now... fixed in SP)

Edited by Milviz
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

16 minutes ago, Chock said:

The issue for me is less the cost (thought obviously that is part of if) but just not having the time to fly everything.

Ultimately I'm hoping the C310 will end up offering a deeper and more rewarding experience for my investment in time.... (and in the meantime I have a Bell 47 to crash, I mean fly)

Edited by Matchstick
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

I'm not sure but a few things may distract me like the glare shield thing.

I was wondering what that is?  I assume you’re referring to the square thing on the windscreen.

I’m not sure about buying this.  I quite enjoy the Seminole so if this is of similar quality but faster I’ll probably be satisfied.  The other thing is that a pretty good looking helicopter has just been released for a similar price so that may be where my money goes for something completely different...

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

16 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

The issue for me is less the cost (thought obviously that is part of if) but just not having the time to fly everything.

Ultimately I'm hoping the C310 will end up offering a deeper and more rewarding experience for my investment in time.... (and in the meantime I have a Bell 47 to crash, I mean fly)

Makes sense, for me I just don't want to get into the habit of buying everything like i did in P3D and FSX, and then at the end of the year I realize I have $10,000 worth of toy planes I don't even fly anymore. It's like a trigger, I gotta watch myself.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

Just now, Matchstick said:

Ultimately I'm hoping the C310 will end up offering a deeper and more rewarding experience for my investment in time....

I should think there's very little doubt that the Milviz aeroplane will be more groovy for sure, but in fairness to Carenado, this new one from them is pretty nice for the money and I suspect I will fly it a fair bit in air Hauler, although a 310 is a good alternative to a Seneca for sure, as is a Baron in fact.

Alan Bradbury

Curious about a couple of aspects of this Carenado release:

Does the aircraft de-icing work?

Use of Cowl Flaps - When in use do the cylinder head temps reduce?

T45

This bird is really sweet!

Just took her out for her first flight and this is a real winner......highly recommend. Best Carenado offering to date after the Mooney. Many great features here Check it out!

50 minutes ago, regis9 said:

was wondering what that is?  I assume you’re referring to the square thing on the windscreen.

They are commonly known as 'hot plates'. Electrically heated windshield.

Edited by SAS443
  • Like 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

13 hours ago, CombatCustard said:

good grief you people are insufferable.

Yep, and also I'm a screaming hypocrite as I've just purchased it.

I guess that makes me utterly intolerable in the extreme for which I apologise.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Treetops45 said:

Curious about a couple of aspects of this Carenado release:

Does the aircraft de-icing work?

Use of Cowl Flaps - When in use do the cylinder head temps reduce?

T45

The answer is, yes, and yes. Here's some piccies for you:

Starboard CHT reading is dropping with the cowl flap open:

NGPyuum.png

Icing conditions with nothing turned on and losing altitude fairly rapidly:

wtuTfGv.png

Icing conditions with boots turned on, windscreen heater and prop heaters on, now able to climb:

WjNLYOl.png

So in other words, that stuff works and makes it a decent aeroplane for use in IMC.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

29 minutes ago, Chock said:

The answer is, yes, and yes. Here's some piccies for you:

Starboard CHT reading is dropping with the cowl flap open:

NGPyuum.png

Icing conditions with nothing turned on and losing altitude fairly rapidly:

wtuTfGv.png

Icing conditions with boots turned on, windscreen heater and prop heaters on, now able to climb:

WjNLYOl.png

So in other words, that stuff works and makes it a decent aeroplane for use in IMC.

Excellent.

Thank you.

Re Cowl flap usage - I've read that different variants of this aircraft have different guidelines, [some being difficult to ascertain from their literature]. 

What CF settings would you use for: Engine run up; Take Off, Climb; Cruise at say 18,000'; Descent; Landing & then Taxi/Shutdown??

T45