Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

Occulus Quest questions

Hello everybody,

I am finally able to bite the financial bullet and purchase the Occulus Quest or Rift S.

My system is AMD 3900 CPU, 32GB RAM and a GTX1080ti.

My intention is to use this exclusively with FightSim (P3D4.5 and 5.1), XPlane11 and MSFS2020 (hoping that their VR improves shortly) However, I would like some confirmations please.

1. Which is the better buy Quest 2 264gb or the Rift S with Flightsim in mind.

2. Hand tracking is essential for me and I believe that Quest 2 has it incorporated but Rift S does not have it Is this true?

3. If Quest 2 does have it, do I need to use the controllers.  If it does not include hand tracking where can I purchase it.?

4. I see no attached headphones or ear pieces.  I have a headset (blue tooth Sennheiser 950) and am wondering if these are practical to use with either the Quest or the Rift S.

5. If I get the Quest 2, is the Cable Link an advisable accessory. It will only be used in my flight chair which the cable can be cable tied to.

6. Portability is not a huge factor and the Rift S is approximately AUD200 cheaper.  Quest 2 is nearly AUD700.00 after exchange rate and delivery fees. Is there a really viable alternative at AUD700.00 for these two.

I do not think I can go wrong with either purchase but I want the best one for FlightSim 

Any helpful suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

21 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

My intention is to use this exclusively with FightSim (P3D4.5 and 5.1), XPlane11 and MSFS2020 (hoping that their VR improves shortly)

as no one has answered, Tony, here goes...

as you are looking for PCVR flight sim only - why not seriously consider the Rift S?

you will save $s & the Rift S is the most super simple HMD to set up & with excellent software - a good match for your 1080Ti & system - a great VR start for you...

(& if you now use glasses for distance - a set of available custom prescription adapters would be highly recommended).

craigeaglefire,

Thank you so much for your response.

As stated, I am wanting a hand tracker and as far as I know, Rift S has not got it.  I am unsure about the Quest2 but I think I have read somewhere that it is included.

This is a huge feature/requirement for me as I want to be able to hand control things like altitude up and down, vs up and down and to be able to click on things with my hand in the Zibo 737 etc instead of using the hand controllers.  I do have a yoke, rudder pedals, 3x throttle quadrants and a trim wheel which, using muscle memory, will be fully functional. As this is my first foray into VR, I am not even sure that this concept is practical or achievable.  I do want to be able to click on anything clickable in the cockpit with my hand in lieu of the Hand Controllers.

I do not use glasses having had lens replacement surgery so that is not applicable.  

Everything I have seen in Videos seem to offer the world but I remain somewhat sceptical. 

As I have said, I am sure that both the Quest 2 and the Rift S will be a great start into VR for me but I really would prefer to go the Hand Tracking route.

I just do not really know what I am doing after so much research

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I’ll try to help you, Tony

yes, the Quest has had some rudimentary native hand tracking for the interface & a few specially designed apps that use this feature - a glimpse of the future!

this feature does not currently work in any flight sim as they have not been designed to support it (btw, for extra research you can investigate Magic Leap - which I have only heard about),

the good news is that I have used the hand controllers that come with the Rift S & Quest with Aerofly FS2 - which was a good early VR experience...

I also believe that some are using the controllers in XP11...

tbh, I just use mouse, keyboard, joystick, throttle & rudder pedals - it quickly became second nature (& also it becomes very natural to slightly lift the HMD & have a look when required)...

this arrangement has given me many hours of pure flight sim enjoyment in a wide range of sims, scenery & aircraft - a whole other world of experiences...

personally, I started on the Rift S, then added Quest 1 & now Q2 (which I have fully optioned up with all VR Cover accessories & finally official Oculus Link cable but any quality cable will do)...

you may need a powered USB hub - as mobo USB ports vary widely & sometimes have problems working...

again, the Rift S is rock solid reliable - by far the least hassle & pretty good results for 2yo tech,

the Quest 2 of course is the current wireless champion - & now offers tethered USB option or there is an experimental AirLink option (for which you need a high quality home network),

the Quest 2 can be temperamental & frustrating - & also can give brilliant flight sim PCVR results - I am a happy owner that often uses it with apps in its native standalone mode, such as multiplayer table tennis...

of course, this is personal opinion based on using 2080Ti rig,

you are most welcome to ask any further questions - PM me if you would prefer.

craig

Hello Craig,

I have to say that your news regarding hand tracking in sims was not the greatest.

Magic Leap ... what can I say.  I googled them but for the life of me, I cannot find out where to buy hand-tracking now what the price is. They may have a magic product but getting information is difficult to say the least.  At any rate, it is difficult to justify at any price, if the sims do not use it.  

I think at this stage, that I am going to opt for the Quest2 with link cable, particularly as my daughter is putting up the difference in price between Rift S and the Quest2.   I will also be investing in some extra rechargeable batteries, I think.

I am also thinking that if you (with your current experience regarding both) had a choice today, that you would opt for the Quest2. Would that be right? 

Thank you so much for your help and advice so far.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

Hi Tony,

remember that with the Quest 2 (&Rift S) is that there is a refund policy available,

the batteries in the Quest 2 controllers last a lot longer than in the Rift S ones,

when the Quest 2 behaves - it is a dream - there are so many hardware/software moving parts,

if you go the Quest 2 - which lately has greatly improved software - remember you may be foregoing the absolute simplicity of the Rift S - but the Q2 is also more versatile,

i have even commented (i hope sensibly) that the Rift S/Q2 combo - for the price - has offered me a full VR experience

1 hour ago, himmelhorse said:

particularly as my daughter is putting up the difference in price between Rift S and the Quest2

wow, Tony, that is so neat - & look forward to hearing your first VR experiences - VR certainly shows the very talented flight sim developers' work in an exciting new light - the modelling is frankly amazing in VR...

cheers

• Like 1

Thanks mate,

Order goes to Amazon.au Thursday.

I am looking forward to it and probably more than you LOL

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Tony Chilcott.

I just got my Quest 2 and found it to be a bit temperamental, but only due to my own inexperience in proper care and feeding, coupled with my attempt to be a cheapskate and not purchase a proper super-duper link cable, thinking that a cheapo Walmart one phone charger one would be adequate.

No its not, and if you try and chintz out, you will end up with stuttering, lag, possible sonic issues etc, which you will almost certainly think is due to the headset, when its really not.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5