Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Touch Portal: MSFS

So I bumped into a little app called Touch Portal and it immediately appealed to both my inner nerd and my flight sim techyness.

Essentially, it uses your phone or tablet as an input device into your sim or program.

Its seems interesting and useful enough to me that I persevered for the few minutes needed to figure out how to set it up, and it seemed like the kind of thing others here might like as well:

There are a few things an interested party will need, to get started, so I have included some links so people who wish to try this are subjected to less wandering the web looking for relevant links.

Touch Portal App

Touch-Portal-MSFS/MSFSTouchPortalPlugin (Allows the App to connect with MSFS)

Icon Packs for your own creations

SETUP TUTORIALhttps://youtu.be/2XHeVysZziM

User-Made Panel for FlyByWire A320 + CJ4

Uses this configuration: https://flightsim.to/file/7451/a320neo-custom-camera-views

2TX1E8.jpg

User-Made General Aviation Panel

WVYpRU.jpg

User-Made General Aviation Panel (I really like this one)

FpYsHx.jpg

User-Made Ga Touch Panel (camera specific)\

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

*Hmph* How about them apples.. Bookmarked. My next days offf I'm all over this..

• Like 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I've been meaning to give this a go for ages but never got around to it as it looked a bit too fiddly for the amount of spare time I had available.  Your post has maybe spurred me on to take another look.

I do have a couple of spare Android phones lying around which have now been replaced that I could use along with my usual phone if it is possible to connect more than one device.

I did see somebody using this to control a full size B737-500 P3d based cockpit simulator using a tablet a while ago which was impressive.

Edited by cianpars
  • Like 2

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

It is capable to recreate a fully working FbW A320 overhead panel?

6 minutes ago, zalox said:

It is capable to recreate a fully working FbW A320 overhead panel?

You probably can if you can find the correct keypress/command for each button

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

7 hours ago, cianpars said:

I do have a couple of spare Android phones lying around which have now been replaced that I could use along with my usual phone if it is possible to connect more than one device.

2e000669186e0baad34b54b7436d3667264bd8b4

• Like 1

Devons rig

Looks great!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

So I finally tried this.

Conclusion: Handy but needs work in areas.

Vanilla. IE: No plugins. It's fine. Simply virtual hotkey front end.

Once you start adding in plugins for MSFS.. Ehhhh. No. It's buggy as all heck because for the panel to work it needs a connection to MSFS (airspeed etc), and if it doesn't get it the rest of the panel doesn't work. The connection to MSFS is hit or miss and more miss than hit.

I'll check back with this but for now.. It's a big no from me dawg

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I find one advantage of using Touch Portal (TP) 'simply' as a hotkey front end is you can assign an 'awkward' key combination, that may not be convenient to use with a regular keyboard while flying, to a single TP button, e.g, pushing a single TP button can send CTRL+SHIFT+F6 (just made that up) to the sim. With a regular keyboard that would likely take two hands. Since you can conveniently assign these awkward key combinations to TP buttons, that frees up the easy to use key combinations for your regular keyboard. You can also make one TP button conditional on the On/Off state of another button, etc. And TP buttons can also be easily programmed to act either as regular On/Off buttons, or as Toggle buttons, or as 3-way buttons, or to call programs, etc. The programming logic capability in TP is quite useful.  I use FSUIPC, and TP is handy for assigning buttons to activate FSUIPC functions, or FSUIPC Lua scripts. None of this requires a TP MSFS plugin of any kind.

Just FYI.

Al

Edited by ark

MSFS Touch Portal Plugin new URL/repo/maintainer and many new features:  https://github.com/mpaperno/MSFSTouchPortalPlugin

Supports multiple Touch Portal devices, WASM integration, any and all Sim Vars and Key Events.  Certainly not just a "hotkey" front end.  Solid and reliable Sim connection with status display, logging, and a lot more.

If anyone can actually cause MSFS to crash from just using this plugin (or even my WASM module), please provide a reproducible scenario and I'd be more than happy to look into it and fix. Stability and performance are key.

Cheers,
-Max

I never remove my HMD in VR so I don't have a real use for it.

Really cool for 2D folks though...especially having controls access through smartphones.

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2