Sign in to follow this  
addman

Constant down pitching

51 minutes ago, TrafficPilot said:

Real airlines or Virtual Airlines? Where are you Chief Flying Instructor? Which airfield?

Oh I admire you effort to make it offensive as possible.  The best thing is to let it go. Unless you want to share something relevant to this topic

• Like 9

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I don't have any other controllers plugged in, only the joystick. Yes, trimming is always an option, however not in ultralights for example. I bought Asobos latest Top Rudder Solo 103 and even at full throttle I have to keep constant backpressure on the joystick otherwise it will nosedive in to the ground. Is this realistic behaviour? I thought sufficient airspeed+lift=positive attitude.

14 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

Oh I admire you effort to make it offensive as possible.  The best thing is to let it go. Unless you want to share something relevant to this topic

Not offensive I am just asking what actual qualifications you possess You claim you are a Chief Flying Instructor?

If you actually possess any flying qualifications PM me your license details then I'd be happy to discuss your findings with this game. Happy to share my license and log book back.

Otherwise stop posting nonsense about something you know nothing about.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

7 hours ago, addman said:

I don't have any other controllers plugged in, only the joystick. Yes, trimming is always an option, however not in ultralights for example. I bought Asobos latest Top Rudder Solo 103 and even at full throttle I have to keep constant backpressure on the joystick otherwise it will nosedive in to the ground. Is this realistic behaviour? I thought sufficient airspeed+lift=positive attitude.

It does sound like a calibration, or conflict issue to me. I have the same Top Rudder Solo 103, and don’t suffer that problem. I’m using a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS setup. I’d be tempted to systematically check input assignments to see if there is a conflict somewhere.

Edited by Bilbosmeggins

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

7 hours ago, addman said:

I don't have any other controllers plugged in, only the joystick. 

Be very certain in MSFS "Controls" menus that the stick is assigned elevator functions.

I too have the Top Rudder 103, along with a Thrustmaster T16000M stick.  I found that I had to make a controls profile just for the Top Rudder 103.  Otherwise, it was pitching down continuously, making it really difficult to fly.  Unlike you though, I have other controllers (a yoke, and a gampad, and rudder pedals) but I still think it's an avenue worth investigating.  It's not as handy as FSUIPC6 in P3D but it still only takes a few seconds to switch controller profiles if you fly something else.

Also when you're in there (in the MSFS Controls screens) make sure the sim is reading its inputs correctly (via the calibration and sensitivity screens).

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

29 minutes ago, TrafficPilot said:

Not offensive I am just asking what actual qualifications you possess You claim you are a Chief Flying Instructor?

If you actually possess any flying qualifications PM me your license details then I'd be happy to discuss your findings with this game. Happy to share my license and log book back.

What are you, some kind of FAA enforcement official. Where do you work, and what do you do there. Maybe post some of your references too/ 

• Like 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

21 hours ago, addman said:

I've been doing some testing tonight with the Top Rudder Solo 103 and my T16000M.   I think you said that's the controller you have as well.

You are correct, it does indeed like to pitch down with the default controller settings for the T16000M.  I have found that if you adjust the neutral zone on the Y axis, it will fly without needing constant backpressure.   You do this in the "Controls" menu, under sensitivity.  I'd suggest a value of +24% or so.   Be sure to save a settings profile (I call mine "Top Rudder Solo 103") for the T16000M.  This will, give or take, allow the Top Rudder Solo 103 to approximately fly at roughly 5900-6200 rpm in level flight.  I don't know what it's typical cruise rpm is, but that seems appropriate to me.  

Also, if you have a yoke like I do, you will want to make a separate profile for it...an empty profile (i.e. no axes assigned) or else you'll have controllers fighting each other.    I say empty profile, but I did assign one toggle switch on the yoke for sim rate up/down.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

19 hours ago, TrafficPilot said:

Where did he claim he was Chief Flying Instructor?

Edited by 2reds2whites

On 5/2/2021 at 1:36 AM, jimcarrel said:

Have you checked to see if the sim is set for "legacy" flight control, or "modern" as it should be.

addman, set the sim to the flight control "modern", as stated above, it is the solution!!!

Edited by OSM

On 5/2/2021 at 9:03 AM, addman said:

I don't have any other controllers plugged in, only the joystick. Yes, trimming is always an option,

I'm not sure if I understand this part correctly. Trimming is not only an option, it's a necessity in most aircraft, depending on the speed and attitude you intend to fly. It should be set to an aircraft's TO (takeoff) trim position before takeoff, then some backpressure is needed for liftoff. I tried it with the default Cessna 172 / G1000, and at TO setting with zero flaps, full throttle and mixture 100% it climbs at arount 90-92 knots IAS without any pressure on the joystick.

however not in ultralights for example. I bought Asobos latest Top Rudder Solo 103 and even at full throttle I have to keep constant backpressure on the joystick otherwise it will nosedive in to the ground. Is this realistic behaviour? I thought sufficient airspeed+lift=positive attitude.

In the Top Rudder solo 103 it's different, as there's no trim available in this ultralight. I noticed too that most of the time backpressure is needed, especially when flying it slow. However, at full throttle and close to sea level, I get it to climb slowly (around +200fpm) without touching the joystick, with a typical 7780-7790 rpm.

Have you tried calibrating your joystick in windows? Does the throttle lever cover 0-100% in MSFS? 

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

Somethng worth to check. Go to the old Windows Control Panel by typing control in the search field. Go to Printers and Devices. Select your joystick and go to properties. If it's a device that can be calibrated, then perform the calibration. Check if all control axis displays are at zero when you don't touch the stick.

If that's OK, go to the control settings in MSFS and click on Sensitivity. Check if all control axis behave normal and are at zero if you don't touch them. They should be. If needed, give them a few % of dead zone.

The airplane should not pitch down now in straight and level flight. If it does, something else is causing it. The most probable cause is another control that's interfering. You can do a search for the elevator to check if the joystick is the only one controlling it. Also check the elevator trim control.

Of course it could be a bug in MSFS, I can't tell what the likelyhood of that would be.

Edited by RudyB24

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

I'm not absolutely sure but I am guessing you might be able to create trim in the flight_model.cfg of any aircraft that does not already have trim. Trim as a flight model function is probably separate from actually having a physical trimmer both visually in the exterior and interior 3d model in MSFS - but I can't test this as I don't have an addon product that doesn't have trim by default.

Have a look in one of these 2 sections in the flight_model.cfg:

In the AERODYNAMICS section there is an entry for all aircraft that have a trim function:

elevator_trim_neutral = x (where x is the default value - usually positive but might occasionally be negative)

In the FLIGHT_TUNING section is this:

elevator_trim_effectiveness = x (where x is usually a positive value between typically 0.5 and 2.0

You could try inserting these entries and experiment with values. It might work - or might not!

If you are flying a mod or addon and it is permanently sinking even at cruise speeds but your other aircraft fly normally then I would guess that it is not connected with your controller but with the mod or addon itself.

It is possible that the addon's trim is poorly set, or not sufficiently powerful, or it could be that the C of G settings at the top section of the flight_model.cfg are also not ideal. Longitudinal C of G values are extremely sensitive to value changes. Even a decimal point change can sometimes make the aircraft do very strange things, so -

BEFORE YOU TRY ANY TWEAKS, make sure you make a backup copy of all flies you are editing.

Hope this is useful.

Cheers,

Robert

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Mace -thanks for that tip re sensitivity settings

It certainly improved matters for me

xxd09