Sign in to follow this  
BarbarianBlue

Getting Started with set up

Ignore the Barbarian, it was meant to be Bavarian! I’m setting this up for my airplane obsessed husband who is recovering from a brain tumor. I set up a new computer, bought Flight Simulator 2020 and a decent joystick. Updated the all the Windows stuff and am now downloading. We have a crippling slow speed of 8mb/sec which is ok, as I can wait and this set up is purely to motivate him. He’s ok, but very depressed etc. However unless I’m reading it wrong, it says the download is 160+GiB. Can that even be possible ?  Have I just spend a small fortune on an impossible download? Did I need a superduper computer. I‘m trying really hard to get this all set up as a present but so far have really not done so well! Any advice. ? 

Welcome to the AVSIM forums!  I could make an attempt to change your screen name to  BavarianBlue if you would like.  Also, yes the download for this Sim is VERY big and to run it with all of the updates coming and to see the world scenery as it is depicted, you will need a fast computer and Internet speed. 😃

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Welcome to Avsim. First up, best wishes to your partner for a recovery and what a lovely thing to do for him.

Yes it is a big download, but good things come to those who wait. Took me hours to download it too. Are you using a wireless connection, if so, a wired one might do better (i.e. plugging an actual wire into your computer and running it directly to the router, but if not, try seeing if you can tweak your download speed, for example, you can try clicking on the internet connection icon at the bottom right of the screen and see if you can remove a metered setting off the connection speed in the properties, or another thing to try is to disconnect the internet connection on that same icon and then reconnect it to unjam things, which sometimes works. sometimes the proximity of the computer to the router (if wireless) can affect things, so if you can move things nearer, that can sometimes help speed things up a bit.

Restarting your router can also sometimes achieve this, but don't try that too much as it can have negative effect if you do that too often. Also make sure there are no other tasks running which are using up bandwidth on your connection. Other than that, you may just have to let it go for a long time. It'll get there eventually. And don't worry about stopping the download for a computer restart or a router restart or whatever, if you restart the download, it will pick up where it left off.

Good luck, it's worth the wait and once again, best wishes to your husband. In the meantime, maybe you can point him to this forum where he can join in the fun. I'm sure he would enjoy getting into arguments with us all about stuff. 🤣

Take care. Oh, and whilst you are at it, here's guide I did to the sim which covers all its features, although keep in mind that watching this might affect how fast that download comes down the pipe, so maybe later or watch it on your phone or whatever:

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Had a quick look on the Internet and these are available as an alternative to downloading:

Have been thinking of getting them, as my monthly download allowance is nowhere near enough, plus the download speed is pathetic.

Just a thought. 

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 has a physical version with 10 discs

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

Welcome to Avsim, I hope your husband makes a speedy recovery.  As I understand it, MSFS is a massive download, but it is also available as a 10 disc set in Europe.  You will still need to download add on content and updates to the simulator.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.