Sign in to follow this  
fakeflyer737

Trim Speed

Any way to adjust Trim Speed if Im assiging it to a button? 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

You mean with AxisAndOhs? Did you try the three different speeds for "repeat"?

LORBY-SI

I'd like to ask the same question.
Using the trim wheel on the Honeycomb Bravo there is no button to hold down for repeat. I can set the trim wheel value (in the -16k/+16 range) via the K:ELEVATOR_TRIM_SET event, but I have not been able to get the current value of the trim wheel with RPN to increase it by, lets say, 100 per tick.

What I'm doing at the moment is with RPN

1·(>K:ELEV_TRIM_DN)·1·(>K:ELEV_TRIM_DN)·1·(>K:ELEV_TRIM_DN)·1·(>K:ELEV_TRIM_DN)·1·(>K:ELEV_TRIM_DN)

which kinda works but I don't really like it. Anyone knows if there is sim var to read the position of the trim wheel in the same range used to set the event?

Windows 10 Pro - Ryzen 3 5900X - nVidia Titan X (Pascal) - 32GB DDR4-3600 === Microsoft Flight Simulator

With the latest version of AAO you can do this in a script:

1·(>K:ELEV_TRIM_DN|n)

This will repeat the event n times.

1·(>K:ELEV_TRIM_DN|5) : elev trim down * 5

1·(>K:ELEV_TRIM_DN|10) : elev trim down * 10

As for the A - Vars there are several that contain information about the elevator trim position. But they have different values, and the same variable may even have different values in different sims. For advanced aircraft they may not contain any useful information, if the developer chose to use his own LVar instead.

In AAO go to: Scripting -> RPN Scripts Editor -> Insert sim var -> filter by "trim". Insert the variables and use the "Test" button to check their values when you move the trim in the plane. Then figure out a multiplier that will map that value on the -16K/+16K value range of the _SET event.

Something like this:

INC
(A:ELEVATOR·TRIM·INDICATOR,·Position)·16383·*·1000·+·(>K:ELEVATOR_TRIM_SET)

DEC
(A:ELEVATOR·TRIM·INDICATOR,·Position)·16383·*·1000·-·(>K:ELEVATOR_TRIM_SET)

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

11 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

As for the A - Vars there are several that contain information about the elevator trim position. But they have different values, and the same variable may even have different values in different sims. For advanced aircraft they may not contain any useful information, if the developer chose to use his own LVar instead.

In AAO go to: Scripting -> RPN Scripts Editor -> Insert sim var -> filter by "trim". Insert the variables and use the "Test" button to check their values when you move the trim in the plane. Then figure out a multiplier that will map that value on the -16K/+16K value range of the _SET event.

Something like this:

INC

DEC

So I am totally lost, can you just add a slider or something in the next update?

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Can someone help me here?

Im using the Alpha and Bravo. 

I'd like to speed the trim up with BOTH my buttons on the Yoke and the trim wheel on the Bravo.

I use both - for different airplanes - and the current set up is way to slow. 

Ron Hamilton

What simulator? What aircraft specifically?

Did you try the scripts that have been posted above?

Is this with all aircraft? Normally trim speed is determined by the aircraft, not the controller. With "repeat" on "fast", AAO will send the INC/DEC events with 18 Hz (=18 times per second). If and how the aircraft logic is processing them (=how big the change is for every event) is a property of the aircraft itself. What happens when you assign trim in the simulators internal controller logic? Is that any faster?

The scripts above speed up trim - by automatically sending even more events. This in itself causes another problem - if you do this, you can't make small changes anymore.

On 5/12/2021 at 4:24 AM, fakeflyer737 said:

can you just add a slider or something

Not unless I know what that "something" is supposed to do. I have no problems with trim speed on my end. A joystick button event is a joystick button event, no matter from what device it has been sent, so this sounds more like you may have an entirely different problem. Please post screenshots of the button assignments for trim up and trim down that you currently have.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

On 5/12/2021 at 4:24 AM, fakeflyer737 said:

can you just add a slider or something

I may have an idea about the "something". I will add a checkbox for "adaptive" repeat - so the events are automatically multiplied internally, the longer you keep the button pressed. That will help with pure buttons that you hold down for trim = those on the yoke. Not sure about the trim wheel, I don't have this hardware, and I don't have any idea what kind of imput event the trim wheel is sending. One button press per wheel "click"?

Please send an email with your proof of purchase to the address on the last page of the AAO manual. Then you can have the current devel version 2.10 to try out the implementation of adaptive repeat.

LORBY-SI

4 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

I may have an idea about the "something". I will add a checkbox for "adaptive" repeat - so the events are automatically multiplied internally, the longer you keep the button pressed. That will help with pure buttons that you hold down for trim = those on the yoke. Not sure about the trim wheel, I don't have this hardware, and I don't have any idea what kind of imput event the trim wheel is sending. One button press per wheel "click"?

Please send an email with your proof of purchase to the address on the last page of the AAO manual. Then you can have the current devel version 2.10 to try out the implementation of adaptive repeat.

Ok will do. The trim wheel isnt an axis its just a button too I think 

Ron Hamilton

11 hours ago, fakeflyer737 said:

The trim wheel isnt an axis its just a button too I think 

Exact - look in the default bravo throttle profile to see how it is managed by the Honeycomb driver (and perfectly for me).

Gérard

Edited by gaab

On 5/11/2021 at 4:38 PM, Lorby_SI said:

Something like this:

INC

DEC

Hi there,
in the documentation and also in your article there is talk of K-variables. I'm trying something with L variables right now.
"2.000 · (> L: GPS100_OFFON, · Number, | 5)" does not work in any case;)
The above variable also changes the brightness (this is a different variable). With the command 2.000 · (> L: GPS100_OFFON, · Number) the number changes ("0" is off and "1" is full brightness) by about 0.05. So I would like the command to be executed 20 times. (Or until the other variable has the value "1").
Unfortunately, the other variable cannot be changed directly.

15 minutes ago, FSH1HH said:

"2.000 · (> L: GPS100_OFFON, · Number, | 5)" does not work in any case;)

No, this isn't an "Event" that could be repeated, you are just setting the value of a variable.

I am pretty sure that if you do this 20 times in a row, you will still only get the change by 0.05, because the aircraft logic doesn't have time to catch up inbetween changes. Know what I mean? With these LVars, the code in the plane needs time to read the var, process the value, set it back to 0. So depending on how fast you are sending them, the logic will just overlook some of them.

One way to do this would be to wrap it into a script, and then call that with the |20 option.
Or you use the "Roll" parameter on the button assignment dialog.
But both options suffer from the same problem, as stated above. You may have to add a "WAIT" or "SPLIT" and hold it for 100ms or so before you send the next update.

Another option is to use an autoscript that listens to an LVar of your own - and you set that LVar with your button

Light on autoscript:
(L:myLvar) 1 == (L:lights_state, Number) 1 < and if{ ...increase light... } els{ 0 (>L:myLvar) }

Light off autoscript:
(L:myLvar) -1 == (L:lights_state, Number) 0 > and if{ ...decrease light... } els{ 0 (>L:myLvar) }

And you set (L:myLvar) to 1 or -1 accordingly with your buttons. And yes, myLvar is missing the ", Number" part, that is how it should be. This is an AAO local variable, that is not communicated to the sim.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI