Sign in to follow this  
Gary1124

What Looks Better Dressed Up?

What looks better dressed up? 

FSX with the best mods?

Prepar3d V4/5?

Same for both?

Thanks

Gary - as a long long time user of FSX(A) and sims before that. To my eye P3DV5 is way ahead. Yes in some respects it is the same system but it is not. The treatment of light, textures and colours is now very different to FSX the picture you see now has more depth and solidity and performance wise there is no comparison with 64 bit v 32 bit architecture. There are additional levels of the sim that were never present before, like real wave motion etc. Even bare bones that is, no addons, it looked much much better, the world earth data is now correct and yes it is basic but this sim thrives on addons and appears to be designed to function that way. Tricked up for me means high quality landclass and regions, airports are certainly more realistic to the eye as well. Aircraft performance wise there is no comparison. I wonder how I managed to put up with FSX for so long - the reason really was you need a fairly heavy duty PC and Video card to see the improvements but the investment was worth it. 

To also be honest in some areas you cannot tell the difference - say with older airport addons and models but that is a result of the limits or quality of the textures etc of those not the sim. Then again some older models (even from 2004) that would run on 64 bit systems have amazed me how word not allowed good they now look in a way they never did in FSX. I will also be honest and say I did go to MSFS as well and I think graphic wise it is brilliant BUT the game style distribution and heavy GB update online architecture is simply not worth the hassle for me. 

Best illustration would be the following two screenshots . This is 2004 model ported to FSX and now ported across to P3DV5. 

This was taken in FSX

R94kLYI.jpg

This is the same model now in P3DV5

dtbDnlu.jpg

• Like 1

Two more for interest this is the KBT Lockheed Electra both shots at Rekyavik Airport in Iceland. 

FSX

4ZSZq9Y.jpg

P3DV5

WbR7ovI.jpg

So in some aspects not much different but it is again qualitative and each simmers perspective will be different. The second but most important aspect is for me P3DV5 runs smooth as silk high graphic loads or scenery and complicated models together is no longer a fraught experience with lags and jitters. So if you are a serious simmer who wants fidelity and quality models with in depth systems then P3D is it without question at all. It will be years before MSFS gets to the same point unless you only want to drive around in a Cessna 172 then its fantastic!

Edited by coastaldriver
  • Like 1

Lighting and colour palette is better in P3D V5 than it is in FSX.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Can someone mention VRAM OOMs, please?

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

18 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

Can someone mention VRAM OOMs, please?

Yes they do occur if the system is not suited to take full advantage of this new version of Prepard3D. I haven't had any VRAM OOMs at all.

Okay. I was eyeballing version 4 because I already have a lot of stuff that will gaurenteed work with 4. 

Ultimate Terrain

GSX

Ultimate Traffic Live.

Numerous Carenado Aircraft.

I would need to spring for a new ASN copy, new RXP for P3d, and replace my great A2A planes with P3d versions.

My system is a Ryzen 5  3600, 32 gig DDR4 3000 mhz, and a RX 580 8 gig GPU.

Edited by Gary1124

Cannot really help you there. I jumped from FSX to P3DV5 due to EOL for my old PC. So after a lot of research I went for a new rig that met the system requirements and then some for V5 only. I have most of A2A's in V5 only a couple of Carenado's and only 1 PMDG and no Capt Sim. A heap of stuff has ported across to V5 without issues at all so basically in terms of my preferred simming all the aircraft I used in FSX have come across fine into V5. A lot of really good scenery has too but you may need to learn how to use ADE to fix up exclusion and elevation issues using older scenery. 

I could never get GSX to work for me in FSX so have not considered it since. I also am not a ATC or AI user (ATC in V5 is terrible and more torturous than useful). The AI issue for me is not AI per se but the fact that my old setup and AI models just do not cut it in V5 they are too crude and look like cheap models at best so I have not put them back in.

V5 has some issues but it is not the general performance but the user interfaces did not really get upgraded IMHO and some features well are best left until they can fix them. I like True Sky and EA but the cloud rendition is limited and you basically do not get high level cirrus and it also seems to me that EA kills the stars at night as well. Sim Director is a complete bust as is the pilot log book which just refuses to record anything for me anymore. I use ORBX extensively and it causes no issues either. I have been trying REX 5 and have a mixed view of it as well. The free FSWX does a good job for real time weather and works ok with True Sky as well. 

I think your CPU would handle V5 but I have my doubts about the Video card being really up to scratch V5 is really targeted at the latest NVIDIA cards it seems to me.

Edited by coastaldriver

P3d V 4.5 with TomatoShade or PTA.

Did try v5 but just did not do it for me ( strange haze issues , visibility etc. even with AS5).

EA not working well for me , just cannot get it looking right.

We should be on P3d v 5.3 at the moment , but with everybody working in  "remote land" and " new normal " everything is delayed . 

To share my experience with my setup. My setup is AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, 16 GB RAM, Radeon RX 5700 8 GB (latest drivers), latest WIN 10 + latest version of P3DV5. My addons AS, PFE, MCE, OrbX Global, UTX Europe, GSX with EA on. But yes - you have to find correct display setting for your PC to avoid OOMs. But as soon as I have "monitored" the memory usage and set my display settings "right" I do not experience them. And I have never had more fluent experience flying before. Almost every slider is set to high, dense, very dense. My resolution is 1920x1080. I am flying A320s (Aerosoft), Mj Dash 8, some Carenados and Tfdi 717. I do fly only to addon airports, not default. 

Hope this helps you a little.

I think I will gravitate to V4. Been out awhile. 

I had been out of simming 15 years as of last June. Not even a PC. Wanted to get back in so I bought a good mid range PC with upgrade room. I went from Win XP and FS9 to 10 and FSX.

I chose FSX-Steam as I reasoned it would be more familiar to me and steam makes it fairly easy. Now I want a better platform and most of my addons are already P3D v4 friendly. I am following a realistic pilot progression. Got hours on hifi GA with A2A. Next step is my modded Carenado PC-12. Then multi with my 421c which I have the mod FDE for. Then Flight 1a Super King Air. Then corporate jet and then airliner. Good with 421 so far but I love my A2A Bonanza with GTN.

You are probably making right choice by gravitating to v4 with your mid range PC. I run both v4 and v5 on my somewhat dated (4790K CPU, GTX 1070 video card, 16 GB ram) system, and both run quite well. It’s true that v5 moved to DX12, and this had effect of offloading some of the processing effort from the CPU to the GPU, with the result that v5 presents fewer stutters. But while v5 runs a bit smoother than v4, I prefer the look of v4 to v5. I’m hoping LM improves the look of v5 in later updates, but for now, the lighting effects in v5 just don’t cut it for me. The enhanced atmospherics work ok in some contexts, but not so well in others. For now, clouds are depicted better in v4 with weather add-ons such as REX and AS. And a real v5 downer for me is that the virtual cockpits are rendered far too dark, such that I can barely use some of my favored aircraft (e.g., the A2A Bonanza V-Tail). 
In my opinion, given the current state of v5’s development, v4 is the better choice. 

Well, my system crushes FSX-Steam and then some. My 32 gigabytes of DDR4 3000 are newly up from only 8 gigabytes. Day and night. And I have my Ryzen 5 and RX 580 moderately clocked up.

I was considering playing with MSFS 2020. Posted a question and a forum member, In2tech did a flyover of my region, (central PA) and posted screenies and a vid. Blew me away. But as much as I love touring the country side I love even more fairly correct aircraft operation and systems which MSFS has to fine tune yet. 

• Like 2

The P3D versions of your A2A aircraft are well worth the investment and will be great for you in P3D. And if you had the Real Air Duke in FSX, there are P3D installers for that classic as well. P3D really shines with the tube liners though.  Can highly recommend the PMDG 737 NGXu and either Aerosoft or Flight Sim Labs version of the Airbus A-320 and its siblings. 

6 hours ago, rlashier said:

The P3D versions of your A2A aircraft are well worth the investment and will be great for you in P3D. And if you had the Real Air Duke in FSX, there are P3D installers for that classic as well. P3D really shines with the tube liners though.  Can highly recommend the PMDG 737 NGXu and either Aerosoft or Flight Sim Labs version of the Airbus A-320 and its siblings. 

I really wish Realair would have sold DL rights to Flight1, Simmarket, or Aerosoft or someone when they went out.

Imagine had they worked a continued developement deal with A2A. What turbine twin we would have. I would love to have that plane. They could have even spun it off as freeware. I have considered iFly jets and PMDG 737 FSX. Aerosoft sells it. I would really like Capt. Sim 707. I like old planes and INS. Used CIVA in FS9 with HJG 707s.

I'm so busy though. Only get an hour or two a week to fly. That's why I like A2A planes.

Edited by Gary1124