Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Impresive what you can do on a phone these days.

44 minutes ago, JRBarrett said:

Screen touch sensors work on capacitance. Apparently, you have a low dielectric constant!

True, and if he has calluses on his fingers that can have an impact. 

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

What is the make and model? 

I don't really know.  It has an Apple symbol on it.  The Model # is MQCT2LL/A.  I bought it at the Sprint Store to replace my flip phone.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

20 minutes ago, birdguy said:

I don't really know.  It has an Apple symbol on it.  The Model # is MQCT2LL/A.  I bought it at the Sprint Store to replace my flip phone.

Noel

It's an Apple iPhone X. 

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2017/09/the-future-is-here-iphone-x/

About 4 years old now.

If ever in doubt, Google is our best friend. 🙂 

Edited by martin-w

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

True, and if he has calluses on his fingers that can have an impact. 

No calluses here! My fingertips are as smooth as a baby's tuccus!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This morning I charged up my flip-phone.  It seems to work OK.  All of my phone numbers are still in it.  All I gotta do is take it to the Sprint Store nd have my phone number changed from the iPhone to the flip phone and see if I can sell the iPhone.

Another thing I like about the flip phone is I can hear it ring.  I have a hard time hearing the iPhone ring when it is on my desk in the next room.  I can hear my wife's flip-phone ring in the next room clearly.

And the flip phone is not a drag on my shirt pocket.  It's a Samsung and is actually a phone and nothing else.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

11 hours ago, birdguy said:

Another thing I like about the flip phone is I can hear it ring.  I have a hard time hearing the iPhone ring when it is on my desk in the next room.  I can hear my wife's flip-phone ring in the next room clearly.

Haha! I know exactly how that feels.  My hearing is extremely bad.  When I finally had to ditch my flip phone a few years ago for an Apple SE, I thought "How the hell am I going to answer the phone if it's in my pocket & I can't hear it?" 

First I went to a website that had Foley sound effects for sale.  I checked out fog horns & ship horns, but they weren't quite right.  Then I came upon a submarine dive horn (AAAH-OOOO-GAAAH, AAAH-OOOO-GAAAH!!), which was PERFECT.  Loud as hell!!  I looked up online on how to convert it to ringtone format.  The fun part was being out in public & when my phone rang, people would stop & look around with a "offensive initials not allowed?" (edit: What the ****) expression on their faces.   

But my hearing continued to deteriorate, so I didn't always hear it.  I found something called Ditto, which is a tiny device you can clip onto yourself (i.e., t-shirt) that connects to the phone via Bluetooth & vibrates when your phone rings. It worked, but it eventually quit working.  I tried to order another one, but they no longer were in business.

I searched for similar items, but they all seemed to no longer be made.  I don't like to traffic in conspiracy theories, but I bet Apple had a hand in this in order to promote the Apple watch, which can be set to vibrate when your iPhone rings.  All these other devices needed apps on your phone, & they were no longer available in Apple's app store.

So I finally broke down, gave in & bought an Apple watch (Series 3, the cheapest one).  It actually works very well.  The extra benefit is with the increased shopping I do online in the last year, I have lots of deliveries, & USPS, UPS & FedEx no longer ring the doorbell when the leave something anymore (most of the time I can't hear it anyway).  But since they issue tracking numbers, you can have these services send you SMS updates on the package status.  When it's delivered, my watch vibrates, so I can retrieve the package immediately; often I can still see the truck driving away.

My hearing dilemma reminds me of a TV sketch with Rowan Atkinson I saw years ago:

Mike A.

Edited by Mike A