Sign in to follow this  
Guest kingairvols

The largest FPS impact comes from....

either mesh resolution or mesh complexity. Possible texture resolution, but I've set that higher and it doesnt hurt me as bad as the above two.After viewing the nzone tips, I pulled my mesh down to 60%, and set the mesh res @ 152m. Sure ok, I lose a few vertices/points for mesh, but I can crank up my autogen now. I just finished a flight to jackson hole with 20FPS the entire way, a few 1-2 dips, but honestly, with dense autogen, mid-high traffic, and totally smooth flying, wow!!!Yeah yeah, large cities aren't great, but I was flying in NYC today average 9 FPS at that's with tons of scenery and planes, and detailed airports!! I was amazed!! I could actually enjoy it at 10, I was getting 6 and that was not enjoyable. but at 10 FPS, for the immense visual display - it was worth itTry it, set mesh percent @ 60, and terrain to 152m, and texture res to 5m, but if you MUSt have it higher, set it back to 1mSee if that helpsHere's an unpaused rolling screenie from jackson hole!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/164904.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

That's great. I suppose it all matters what YOU want in your sim. Some people want/need 100/100 mesh sliders--and they may have to make compromises.Others, like you, don't need 100/100 mesh, and so can turn up other things like autogen.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I wasn't saying, "hey my fsx is just the way I like it, " I'm saying based off my research mesh complexity and mesh resolution are the largest FPS hitters.... Just a suggestion to try, of all the sliders these two helped me gain FPS the most - no matter where/what I fly

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest stefanino

Hi and thanks for this tip!Is working very good on my rig,P4 3Ghz, ATI X1600 XT 256 Mg ram, 1 gig RAM.Now, with fps locked at 20, i can have almost 18/20 always, i fly only Cessna and not heavy metal..I have still some stutters, but i think it depend from the low ram i have.I have also setted fiber frame at.12, i think that this can help too...Thanks again! Stefano

Hmmm, Hey Geoff, which of those do you think affects you the most?It's just strange, (on my end I mean), cause sometimes I'll be flying around a big city, and changing from zero autogen to dense autogen does nothing with regards to FPS LOL!! I know, sounds weird, maybe my tweaks did something funny. But going from dense to extremely dense definitely hits my system.What video card do you have, and specs?With regards to water I once thought that I couldn't possible run 2x....well now I run 2x low and still get my plane reflections and those neat looking waves. As it turns out for my GPU, 2x low isn't much different than 1xhigh, of course if I add 2xmed I deinitely notice a FPS drop....weird!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

On my setup it is Autogen and AI.I have messed with the Mesh sliders and it did not affect frames nearly as much as Autogen or AI.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest kingairvols

Stefano I wanted to ask if you would be willing to post a screen shot of you settings as to make sure I adjust the correct things. I also fly most all the time props including the King Air, but mostly low and slow in the Maule or the like. Thus I thought your settings may be a good place to start.Thank you.Mark.System:OS:MS Windows XP Professional, Ver 2002 Service Pack 2 Hardware:Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 2.802.84 GHz, 3.00 GB of RAM Radeon X1600 Pro 512MB running a 21/19.6 Sony Flat Screen Tubed Monitorand a 17/16 NEC/Mitsubishi Tubed MonitorGeForce FX 5200 128MB running a NEC/Mitsubishi 18 Flat Panel

Guest stefanino

Hi Mark!I give you my actually setting:Graphic=FPS locked at 191280X1024 (native resolution of my 19 LCD screenGlobal texture resolution= Highno bloomAnimation and reflexes onScenery:Level of detail radius=MediumMesh complexity= 36 ( this is something i will chenge often to check about the results)Mesh resolution= 38mtTexture resolution= 2m /1m Water level= low 2xScenery complexity= very denseAutogen density= Sparse( I have the default autogen renamed)Special effect= mediumThese are the default setting that i have changed a little...Low AI traffic or none, it depend from where i fly.With these setting i get 17/19 with the Cessna, on VC, with the 2d Panel the fps go down of 2/3I have applied the tipical tweeks, and i am playing with the FIBER_FRAME, now is setted very low at 0.10.Ok the graphic is not the best, but for me is fine, i have to compromise with the performance and leave a little of graphic to have smoothness..Probably with your card and Ram, you can set it quiet higher, from 0.33 to 0.60 (try to put Fiber_frame to 1 and see the performance.Another thing is that i am more and more convinced that, on m y system, A and AF setted in the game give better performance, so i am thinking to leave actuvated inside the game..Hope this can help you, try and let me know ok?Cheers StefanoMy system:Pentium 4 3Ghz1G ramATI X1600 XT 256 Mg

>On my rig it is autogen , water, and ai/car traffic -mesh>doesn't seem to make much of a difference.>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgHere, it's mainly autogen/scenery complexity, and lastlythe density of the weather/clouds. Mesh settings don't effectmy box too much. Also, the res used does effect mine.. Naturally, 1600 ain't as fast as 1200 on my old 9800 pro.On my box, I have no issues at all unless I'm in a bigcity, or at a big dense airport. And in those cases, it'sthe autogen and complexity that effect the most for me.FSX runs pretty well on my box considering a P4/9800pro system is getting kinda aged..MK

Guest kingairvols

StefanoThanks man. Hey another question please, you mentioned "tipical tweeks" well the problem for me is that I am still learning quite a bit. Now if there are so manytweeks say in the config files then dont worry aboout it. Posibly another solution is to copy/past the tweeks here. But I will change my settings as you have and give it a go. From a low lever CPU tech person I appreciate your help.Thank you.Mark.System:OS:MS Windows XP Professional, Ver 2002 Service Pack 2 Hardware:Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 2.802.84 GHz, 3.00 GB of RAM Radeon X1600 Pro 512MB running a 21/19.6 Sony Flat Screen Tubed Monitorand a 17/16 NEC/Mitsubishi Tubed MonitorGeForce FX 5200 128MB running a NEC/Mitsubishi 18 Flat Panel

I've found scenery/autogen density makes the biggest difference. Selecting antialiasing in the settings also causes a big hit, but looks much nicer.scott s..

>On my rig it is autogen , water, and ai/car traffic -mesh>doesn't seem to make much of a difference.>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgsame.. i can crank up the textures and mesh all the way up but once actual airport buildings/cities and traffic (ground over 20% and any air) come into play, the sim dies. anti aliasing also has no effect.. ps. i used to get the best frames with the learjet.