Sign in to follow this  
SwissairMD11

Being poor because of Audi's

4 hours ago, WingZ said:

Those not yet in the know will not appreciate how an EV is so very different from the traditional ICE dealer business model. As invented by Tesla, it's a bit like owning a long life appliance. Service? What service, unless it breaks? And it shouldn't.

The Model 3 Performance is in a class of its own, you will not be disappointed.

But the avalanche of EV's for 2021/22 is a delight. Tesla better up its game because it's got everyone going.

Audi will make a stunning set of EV's next year

BMW sadly lost the plot and now make surely the ugliest range of cars available.
Partly because Kia snapped up the best European designers and will produce stuff like this.

Yeah, I am seeing lots of promising Evs these days and that EV6 is definitely on my list, however isn't that Audi more expensive than the Plaid+? The Plaid is one sweet looking car with utterly insane specs (0-6 in 2 seconds just about stomping everything out there).

One thing is for certain and that is I've lost just about all interest in ICE cars. Kind of never thought that'd happen. 😁

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Upright, I mean with that the complete hub. The pinch bolt was seized on my B7 and broke off. I tried everything and than I cracked the hub. (new one is on it's way)

I also orderd for my 1.8T a new upgraded K04 turbo, decat downpipe, all new gaskets and belts, a friend will pass by with a tune, than it will be running 230ish hp. My s4 runs at 400hp, pulls great lol

And for my S4 yes, I need to do some oil change and filter, but main focus now is on the 1.8T 

5 hours ago, Swe_Richard said:

The Plaid is one sweet looking car with utterly insane specs (0-6 in 2 seconds just about stomping everything out there).

Baffles me why we need 0 to 60 in 2 seconds. 😁 Downright dangerous. I guess its EV manufactures saying "look, we are now BETTER than most IC car's".

But yes, pretty sure my next car will be an EV. It just seems bonkers to choose an antiquated system with 10,000 moving parts. Rather than a 21st century electric car with a minimal number of moving parts, such that a service is pretty much just top up the windscreen washer bottle. 😁

4 hours ago, SwissairMD11 said:

My s4 runs at 400hp, pulls great lol

I think many would have thought from the thread title that this was a lament about Audi quality... turns out it's a testament to their strength! :)

40 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Baffles me why we need 0 to 60 in 2 seconds. 😁 Downright dangerous. I guess its EV manufactures saying "look, we are now BETTER than most IC car's".

Chris Harris from Top Gear shares this view: you would only EVER do that mad acceleration dash if there were some passenger needing to be impressed. In practice you seldom if ever need to do this as it genuinely makes you feel queasy. 
So the horsepower/performance race is essentially done with, all cars will be quick. How then, is my Ford better than your Chev? 
This is the real reason EV's will be so good: the features you can enable are startling.

From humble beginnings like preheating the car interior by a specified departure time (and fully charged by then too), to all the amazing tech enabled by the electrics on board, to the extra interior space enabled by the architecture...

The future for once, looks really good.  

I thought about an EV before buying the IC BMW.  However, I still think about "range anxiety" as being pretty real still.  Additionally, the availability of charging stations seems to be a concern, along with the speed of the charging itself when you are in a hurry to be somewhere.  I see Teslas parked outside a local restaurant for the better part of an hour charging while their owners are either "having" to eat at the restaurant or find a way to use the time constructively.

Until super fast charging, charging station availability, and range anxiety are overcome, I will stick with an IC vehicle.

Stan

50 minutes ago, WingZ said:

From humble beginnings like preheating the car interior by a specified departure time (and fully charged by then too), to all the amazing tech enabled by the electrics on board, to the extra interior space enabled by the architecture...

The future for once, looks really good. 

Yep, and with new battery tech like solid state almost here (some production lines active now) you are talking about double the range and super fast charging times. Not to mention the amazing supercapacitor breakthrough I mentioned in the other thread, from Kilowatt labs, and also the possibility of supercap/Lithium Ion hybrids. 

19 minutes ago, spilok said:

I thought about an EV before buying the IC BMW.  However, I still think about "range anxiety" as being pretty real still.  Additionally, the availability of charging stations seems to be a concern, along with the speed of the charging itself when you are in a hurry to be somewhere.  I see Teslas parked outside a local restaurant for the better part of an hour charging while their owners are either "having" to eat at the restaurant or find a way to use the time constructively.

Until super fast charging, charging station availability, and range anxiety are overcome, I will stick with an IC vehicle.

Stan

Currently for a Model S you are talking about 300 miles plus range. The Plaid is 400 miles.

I see Teslas parked outside a local restaurant for the better part of an hour charging while their owners are either "having" to eat at the restaurant or find a way to use the time constructively.

To be fair they should be after a long trip though. All of us should be getting out of our cars to use the bathroom or take a rest well under that 300 - 400 mile range, unhealthy not to.  But yes, range anxiety still puts people off. Ironically, many people still drive around in gas guzzling petrol sports cars with the equivariant range without complaint or range anxiety but I guess filing up with petrol is fast.

There are actually 100,000 charging outlets in the US.  

https://www.statista.com/statistics/416750/number-of-electric-vehicle-charging-stations-outlets-united-states/

Most people are doping short trips though of course, and most are charging at home while they sleep. 

Edited by martin-w

We've had 2 Lexus for nine years. Never been to the shop for repairs on either one. 129,000 mi on one and 112,000 the other,

Luck of the draw.

Bill W

21 minutes ago, BillW said:

We've had 2 Lexus for nine years. Never been to the shop for repairs on either one. 129,000 mi on one and 112,000 the other,

Luck of the draw.

Bill W

One of my favourite brands. Was it the Hybrid? 

1 minute ago, martin-w said:

One of my favourite brands. Was it the Hybrid? 

The one with 129,000 was an RX450h. The only reason we got rid of it is "battery fear". They really had shown no sign of weakening, but...... It had very quick acceleration because of the additional electric engine. We are considering another. I feel the car would probably outlast me.😄

7 hours ago, martin-w said:

But yes, pretty sure my next car will be an EV. It just seems bonkers to choose an antiquated system with 10,000 moving parts. Rather than a 21st century electric car with a minimal number of moving parts, such that a service is pretty much just top up the windscreen washer bottle. 😁

Yeah, I'd bet you'd get that nice feeling in the gut when being launched to 60 in two seconds flat! The Plaid+ is way more than I'd ever want to pay for a car though. Guess I'll have to settle with the abysmally slow 3 seconds of the Model 3 P.. 😉

Well, having had my Kona for about a year I highly doubt I'll ever have a petrol car again (I have, however, always wanted an air cooled 911) and can wholeheartedly recommend it.

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

22 minutes ago, Swe_Richard said:

Guess I'll have to settle with the abysmally slow 3 seconds of the Model 3 P.. 😉

Shudder the thought! 😁 Who could possibly live with a car so slow that it's only as fast as an F18 on a steam catapult.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillW said:

The one with 129,000 was an RX450h. The only reason we got rid of it is "battery fear". They really had shown no sign of weakening, but...... It had very quick acceleration because of the additional electric engine. We are considering another. I feel the car would probably outlast me.😄

I think Toyota/Lexus batteries are warrantied for 10 years. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, martin-w said:

We got rid of it after nine years. We're hoping for another tax credit is offered on a new one. Whenever that might happen.😄

On 5/4/2021 at 7:05 PM, martin-w said:

That's a pretty long time, they sure it will last as long as that with fast charging?