Sign in to follow this  
SwissairMD11

Being poor because of Audi's

1 hour ago, SwissairMD11 said:

That's a pretty long time, they sure it will last as long as that with fast charging? 

Well apparently there are plenty of Tesla's around that have done over 100,000 miles on the first battery, uses by Taxi drivers. There were and are plenty of Prius driving around on the first battery too. 

Have an Audi A4 B5 1.8T that's low miles and has had its share of issues.  Biggest PITA is both side front door window regulators failed.  The problem is the window is held at the bottom by a couple of flimsy plastic pieces which inevitably break.  Online folks suggest there's a VW part using metal that will fit but I didn't pursue that option.  Also the over-engineered oil dipstick tube failed (VW has same problem).  It's one of those things you tell the counter guy at the auto parts store and he pulls one out from right under the counter saying "oh yes, you need one of these".  I do have a CEL that reads out "fuel trim lean" currently.  Haven't done anything about it, but I did pull a MAF sensor off a VW but my engine is an ATW and I think the VW an AMB or something like that and the part has a different dash number.  Not sure if it makes any difference but haven't experimented.

scott s.

• Like 1

Vorsprung durch Technik! (English: bye bye Porsche!).

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

On 5/5/2021 at 9:42 PM, scott967 said:

Have an Audi A4 B5 1.8T that's low miles and has had its share of issues.  Biggest PITA is both side front door window regulators failed.  The problem is the window is held at the bottom by a couple of flimsy plastic pieces which inevitably break.  Online folks suggest there's a VW part using metal that will fit but I didn't pursue that option.  Also the over-engineered oil dipstick tube failed (VW has same problem).  It's one of those things you tell the counter guy at the auto parts store and he pulls one out from right under the counter saying "oh yes, you need one of these".  I do have a CEL that reads out "fuel trim lean" currently.  Haven't done anything about it, but I did pull a MAF sensor off a VW but my engine is an ATW and I think the VW an AMB or something like that and the part has a different dash number.  Not sure if it makes any difference but haven't experimented.

scott s.

Same here. Now you said that I reminded again that I have also a stuck driver side window, I need to fix that too this weekend. 😃

Fuel trim lean, put vagcom on it. 409.1 will do just fine from china. I do owe the RossTech but it worked for years for me. Could be if you didn't tune it that a MAF sensor is bad indeed, or a fuel pressure regulator is shot. 1.8T has 2 types of FPR 3 and a 4 bar.

If you want to talk about sleepers I have a crossover that does 0-60 in sub 4.5 seconds with launch control.  Towing my race car I am about 6.8 seconds 0-60.  If you want to see someone REALLY look shocked you should see their face when the light goes green and the guy with the trailer smokes them off the line LOL... 6.8 isn't that quick but if you get a 1-2 second jump on them when the light changes there aren't a lot of cars that can make up that difference off the line.   Here is my old crossover embarrassing a number of sports cars on track...  Jalopnik and Rennlist actually did articles about it LOL. 

https://jalopnik.com/watching-this-porsche-macan-pass-all-manner-of-track-ca-1798538663

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

37 minutes ago, psolk said:

Here is my old crossover embarrassing a number of sports cars on track...  Jalopnik and Rennlist actually did articles about it LOL. 

They  let you pass. 😃 I can tell you are  a good driver because you wear sunglasses.

What tuning has been done to that Macan? 

Edited by martin-w

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

They  let you pass. 😃 I can tell you are  a good driver because you wear sunglasses.

What tuning has been done to that Macan? 

Macan was bone stock...  They are giving a point-by at a DE event because we were quicker...  2 seconds quicker than the fastest car in that groups lap times... The Macan is VERY capable.... 

Here is a lap of the car the Macan tows  🙂

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

2 hours ago, psolk said:

Macan was bone stock.

Impressive. Ive always fancied a Macan too be honest. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, psolk said:

Here is a lap of the car the Macan tows  🙂

150 at one point. I get scared at half that speed. 😃

52 minutes ago, martin-w said:

150 at one point. I get scared at half that speed. 😃

150 is easy, we've topped 180 at Daytona, it's those pesky walls and then having to brake in 200 feet while turning with a wall approaching as you come off the Apex.  You have to be very comfortable being uncomfortable in a race car.  I have a sticker on the back of the car that says it's not the speed you have to worry about it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you.   

As for the Macan, hands down the best all around daily driver out there in my opinion.  Handles and goes like a raised AWD Cayman, not a crossover, can tow the race car to the track then unhitch and go run laps!  The most amazing thing about Porsche is their brakes... I run stock calipers on the race car with upgraded pads/rotors and master cylinder without any issues racing and pushing them to 10/10's for hours on end and the Macan weighs 4,200 pounds and on stock brakes we never once got a soft pedal or brake fade in a crossover on track.  Not many cars can do that!

Edited by psolk
  • Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Has anyone here got or ordered one of the new generation Corvettes?

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

19 hours ago, psolk said:

If you want to talk about sleepers I have a crossover that does 0-60 in sub 4.5 seconds with launch control.  Towing my race car I am about 6.8 seconds 0-60.  If you want to see someone REALLY look shocked you should see their face when the light goes green and the guy with the trailer smokes them off the line LOL... 6.8 isn't that quick but if you get a 1-2 second jump on them when the light changes there aren't a lot of cars that can make up that difference off the line.   Here is my old crossover embarrassing a number of sports cars on track...  Jalopnik and Rennlist actually did articles about it LOL. 

https://jalopnik.com/watching-this-porsche-macan-pass-all-manner-of-track-ca-1798538663

That is very quick! I had with Draggy 4.2 sec 0-60. I haven't tried topping it, but the estimate will lay round 185mph. 😄

• Like 1

I know I'm off topic, but on another hobby forum I monitor, some guys are finding that prices they are offered online for their used cars is more than what they paid for it new! Although 80% for one 5 years old is more typical (but still a way up percentage compared to last year). Seems there are  serious issues holding inventories of new cars down.

Worth checking what you are offered online now for your seldom driven backups, because I think once the issues are resolved used car prices will tumble back down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fielder said:

I know I'm off topic, but on another hobby forum I monitor, some guys are finding that prices they are offered online for their used cars is more than what they paid for it new! Although 80% for one 5 years old is more typical (but still a way up percentage compared to last year). Seems there are  serious issues holding inventories of new cars down.

Worth checking what you are offered online now for your seldom driven backups, because I think once the issues are resolved used car prices will tumble back down.

My S4 has been more expensive than it will be worth. Buying + modes + upgrades + maintenance. But it's for me all about the fun I have with it. I rather be happy and have enjoyment than worry about how much I can make from it, and worry how much I drive it so the mileages stays low

• Like 1