Sign in to follow this  
Alpine Scenery

Helicopters - My First Flights

Well, it's not exactly how I remember it in FSX, but still getting used to it.

It's fun though!

• Like 2

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

2nd short flight was much better, just a bit hard to change directions without losing control.

• Like 1

I don't quite know what to say.....

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Didn't really have issues with it in FSX or Xplane, but pretty out of practice with a helicopter to say the least. Probably just me.

It's amazingly good though, especially considering it was a free addon.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

In first vid it appeared as though you don't have pedals, what flight mode did you try? Basic? Xbox? or advanced? 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Yah, only a twist stick with a rudder. The first take-off I didn't have the right feel for it, I was trying to recover by throttling that's why it went all crazy. I left everything at defaults, I am flying ok at this point, just need to get the feel of it.

It's really easy to fly straight, but a little harder to fly sideways.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

I thought you could fly sideways without hardly trying.(in the vids)

7 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Yah, only a twist stick with a rudder. The first take-off I didn't have the right feel for it, I was trying to recover by throttling that's why it went all crazy. I left everything at defaults, I am flying ok at this point, just need to get the feel of it.

It's really easy to fly straight, but a little harder to fly sideways.

To me, flying a Helicopter with a twist stick rudder is like trying to drive a car with your feet. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

38 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

To me, flying a Helicopter with a twist stick rudder is like trying to drive a car with your feet. 

The fact that you can however, is what democratises flight simming in a very big way, and so I'm all in favour of it. Not everyone is in a position to be able to afford a 500 quid controller set up, and even when they are, these are not typically ideally suited to flying a chopper. The more options there are for people to be able to fly these things without it costing an arm and a leg, the more popular flight simming will be, and that can only be a good thing for everyone, whether they are a super-realism nerd or a casual dabbler.

It's worth giving some cheaper options a try with choppers, such as playstation-style style joypads, and another interesting one to try, is putting the throttle on the twist rudder function and making use of options to replicate friction locks if the simulated chopper offers them, particularly if you have a paddle rudder control on a throttle, or some rudder pedals.

Anyone who really wants decent realistic chopper controls, and not necessarily expensive ones either, would be well advised to try knocking a controller up for themselves with stuff from the likes of Leo Bodnar.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Cant stop laughing!

That landing using e-brake was epic, and the crawl walk in the first video is something to remember.

By the way, if you are able to fly a chopper in FX with your hardware, you wil be able to fly the Bell 47G

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

So like most tanks then?

• Like 1

Once again: Which flight model did you choose?

And no, my first attempts were not better. But with practice and more practice I start to have fun with my (now) couple of MSFS choppers. 

I find VR helps a lot. The image may not be as crisp as on a 2D screen but you get a more immediate feeling of the state you are in.

Kind regards, Michael

Edited by pmb

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11