Sign in to follow this  
captain420

What are some of your favorite scenic GA flight routes?

I am looking to take out the justflight piper arrow for a test flight but have no idea where to fly from and to. Could you guys share some of your favorite scenic flight routes? Trying to stay under 1 hour, and nothing more.

I will be flying with the GTN 750 and would like to test out the ILS capabilities of it.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

EDIT - I suggest Wrangell to PAKT if you want to do an ILS, PAKT has ILS, Wrangell does not.

Wrangell, Alaska (PAWG) and Petersburg, AK (PAPG), and not too far from PAKT. This has to be one of the most scenic flights in the entire game, but it will look a bit better with clouds. These are available to buy from DC Scenery Designs (only reason I found out about this area), but even without the Payware, the scenery is just the same.

There are a lot of mind blowing scenic flights in Norway as well, also there are some very scenic flights in the Appalachians in the East Coast. For the west coast, some of the best scenery is right along the water in southern Cali - San Diego area, but OR and WA aren't bad either.

Roanoke (KROA) to Yeager - WV (KCRW) is pretty interesting looking for a longer flight. The entire Appalachians area is very scenic from N Georgia all the way up to Virginia.

Shots from Wrangell, Alaska
KrI087B.png

ZDImicN.png

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

Wow, thanks for the great suggestions! 🙂 Will definitely give those routes a try!

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

NZQN to NZMF with the Milford Sound airport add on.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Naki18 said:

NZQN to NZMF with the Milford Sound airport add on.  

I'm going to try this one right now, haven't done that one in a while.

• Upvote 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

Perhaps you want to take a look at this thread since similar recommendations were made for short GA flights.

• Like 1

Take off from Manchester UK and fly E-SE to the Derwent Reservoirs in the Peak District. This is where 617 Squadron practiced their low level flying on the dams on the reservoirs in preparation for their famous 'Dambuster Raid' in WW2. It's beautiful scenery, but it's no wonder the place is notorious for having loads of WW2 wrecks still up on those hills which are still there even today, because when the cloud base drops, it's a dangerous place. But in a flight sim we can ignore the danger and see if we can fly our planes sixty feet above the water heading toward the dams and then pull up in time to avoid the surrounding hills. Try this and you'll gain an entirely new appreciation for what those young men pulled off in the Lancaster bombers back in WW2.

A fun airfield to depart from if doing this, is my old flying club field at Camphill, which is just a few miles from the reservoir. Strictly speaking it's a glider airfield, so you aren't really supposed to operate powered aeroplanes from it, but we don't have to worry about those kind of rules in a simulator. Just to the south of that field is some very pretty terrain with unusual colours of heather on the fields and hills. This is where the famous Eyam village is, where in a somewhat prescient incident given the current pandemic, the villagers of Eyam decided to sacrifice themselves by selflessly all staying in the village when the plague hit them in 1665, so as not to spread it to neighbouring communities.

Some of the highest waterfalls in the UK are located in that area, but you wont see many of them because a lot are underground in the caves which are all over the place in that area. But if that's your thing, if you instead turn north and head up to Scotland, you will find the highest above ground waterfall in the UK at Sutherland - this being Eas a’ Chual Aluinn - which drops nearly 700 feet; that's over three times the height of the drop at Niagara Falls and the terrain around there is spectacular although the cloud base is oft3en fairly low, so you might want to set the weather manually to a nice sunny day.

Another good one to the west of this, not very far away, is to take off from Liverpool UK and turn south toward Wales and the hills you will find. This is where the famous 'Mach Loop' is, and so if you like thundering down valleys at low level and racking your aeroplane around in tight turns, this is great fun and again, it is very beautiful scenery. Alternatively, you can hammer it around all the inlets down the west cost of the UK and that is a spectacularly pretty experience, and it is ideally suited to that little Top Rudder 103 Solo ultralight.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Canada and the Pacific North West is good. You could do two bit  under an hour flights using the Arrows ability to store its state between the two flights:

• Start south of Vancouver at Friday Harbor then head down to Seattle and land at Boeing Field
  • Leaving Boeing field head across to the coast and down to Portland in Oregon.

Or do it as a single 1.5 to 2 hour flight.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick