Sign in to follow this  
captain420

What rudder pedals do you use with your honeycomb?

On 5/4/2021 at 4:28 PM, fakeflyer737 said:

The TPRs have the same action real rudder pedals do, the MFGs move more side to side and in my opinion look odd.

My MFG Crosswind pedals don't move side to side... nor do they "twist" as a previous poster claimed... they travel straight back and forward.  I agree they look a bit unusual; but they're high quality, accurate, and act like real rudder pedals.  I'm sure the TPRs are great pedals (haven't had a chance to try them out myself); but they're also a good bit more expensive.

This is a review from a guy that has MFG and talks about the twist/rotating v straight back. 

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

3 hours ago, MadDog said:

My MFG Crosswind pedals don't move side to side... nor do they "twist" as a previous poster claimed... they travel straight back and forward.  I agree they look a bit unusual; but they're high quality, accurate, and act like real rudder pedals.  I'm sure the TPRs are great pedals (haven't had a chance to try them out myself); but they're also a good bit more expensive.

fakeflyer might be meaning that with the MFG's, the pedals move closer / further apart throughout their travel (here at about 4:30), which might not be realistic. At least it keeps it a simple design which I think is nice

Edited by dogmanbird
  • Like 1

VKB, $215, fast ship, always in stock. Lightyears ahead of say the old Saitek or CH, all metal.

They don't have toebrakes which for some is deal breaker. Not for me, I have other controllers for those.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

So the honeycomb does not come with dual twist grips ?  You could use one for rudder and the other for proportional braking 😄

Nyxx, Dogmanbird,

Thanks for the video references, I think they're both very accurate assessments.  From my own experience, I just want to emphasize that although the design of the Crosswind pedals results in a very slight inward shift when pushed, the effect is barely noticeable and the orientation of the pedals does not change in the slightest (there really is no "twist" or obvious offset).

I do agree with one criticism that Robert very gracefully pointed out in his video... the further you push the Crosswind pedals, the more effort it requires.  Depending on the amount of tension dialed in, this can get a little tiring, especially when dealing with the overblown impact of crosswinds on the ground in MSFS.  Fortunately, the need to apply copious amounts of rudder tends to be pretty short-lived and the new damper option for the MFG should help to resolve that minor issue.  I've ordered the damper for my v2 pedals and look forward to trying it out.

Bottom line, the TPRs look very impressive and would probably be the best choice if money wasn't an object; but the MFGs also do a fantastic job and they're well over $200 cheaper.

Edited by MadDog
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, MadDog said:

Bottom line, the TPRs look very impressive and would probably be the best choice if money wasn't an object

If money was not an object at all ... a set of these FFS Level D approved FFB ones ...

https://www.brunner-innovation.swiss/product/cls-p-rudder-with-toe-brakes/

The BRUNNER CLS-P Active Force Feedback Rudder meets the highest demands in professional flight simulation. As a top level element in our Control Loading System portfolio of leading drop-in devices, the CLS-P Rudder with proportional Toe Brakes integrates perfectly into many new or existing FNPT I, as well as an FNPT II MCC or even FFS Level D Fixed Wing cockpit environments.

CLS-P-Rudder.jpg

Price ?

Well, if you need to ask you cannot afford them.

I do NOT own a set.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog said:

I do agree with one criticism that Robert very gracefully pointed out in his video... the further you push the Crosswind pedals, the more effort it requires.

But surely this is by design? Milan has produced a very carefully-engineered choice of physical cams that can be swapped in and out to modify the mechanical feel of the pedals. For example, the standard CAM4 is said to offer a less-realistic but more-usable compromise for flying GA aircraft, specifically because it is softer out towards the extremes. (The optional CAM5 is said to be more realistic but is stiffer at the extremes.)

1 hour ago, MadDog said:

the overblown impact of crosswinds on the ground in MSFS

This confused me until I realised you mean crosswinds rather than Crosswinds 😉

• Like 2

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

5 hours ago, MadDog said:

Nyxx, Dogmanbird,

Thanks for the video references, I think they're both very accurate assessments.  From my own experience, I just want to emphasize that although the design of the Crosswind pedals results in a very slight inward shift when pushed, the effect is barely noticeable and the orientation of the pedals does not change in the slightest (there really is no "twist" or obvious offset).

I've always liked the style of them. They look like they could be built with minimal slop and appear to be rugged. They're certainly more elegant than what I'm using.

just to lower the standards a bit - I'm at revision 3 of my now $68 "poverty pedals". I've moved the hall sensor to beneath one of the arms and tried to simplify the switching from centering to non-centering without disconnecting anything

https://i.imgur.com/VMGkmuV.mp4

Edited by dogmanbird

Ultimately people will set themselves a budget and I think we have all covered the options. 🙂

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip