Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
captain420

I miss the realair lancair legacy so much

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

 

Sometimes you come across as a really bloody clever bloke and well done you  -  for getting in the nest that is MS - I did that about 20 years ago for about six years - sorry everyone - I worked on Vista - only on the Video Compression side of things but nevertheless for MS.

And sometimes you come across as a chap who is trying to cross the Andes by frog Mr Barnard - (Captain Snetterton, I presume)

Don't let it run away with you. Let's keep the metaphor firmly in the realms of piloting an aircraft - don't let this whole thing get too far ahead of you.

Or you'll end up in Room 12B - which is "Being Hit Over The Head Lessons" and you're better than that. As well you know. . .

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese
  • Like 1

Intel Devil's Canyon 4790K@4.6, EVGA 1080 Ti Gaming OC, 16 GB 2300Mhz and a bunch of SSD's to run it all. And wings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chock said:

Steve McQueen and Bullitt is all you need to know to understand why that's not a good analogy.

Doesn't matter, you clearly get my point. Your suggestion isn't great either. Why would I load up a legacy sim with inferior aesthetics such as graphics and visuals, etc just to fly a plane I like. Personally, to me, the visuals, make up a huge part of the immersion for me when it comes to VFR flying, which I solely choose the lancair legacy for. FSX/P3D doesn't really come close to that when compared to MSFS now does it? Even with a fully blown FSX/P3D with all the addons, it can't even compare to vanilla MSFS.

In the end, I rather fly a not-so-great plane in MSFS with great graphics and scenery rather than an awesome custom 3rd party plane in FSX/P3D with outdated scenery and graphics.


ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (20H2) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I rather fly a not-so-great plane in MSFS with great graphics and scenery rather than an awesome custom 3rd party plane in FSX/P3D with outdated scenery and graphics

That's your right and power to you.

I on the other hand I would prefer the other - slightly inferior aesthetics but high fidelity aircraft and avionics that perform as close as possible to reality.

May be one day soon we will get both.

  • Like 8

David Porrett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Doesn't matter, you clearly get my point. Your suggestion isn't great either. Why would I load up a legacy sim with inferior aesthetics such as graphics and visuals, etc just to fly a plane I like. Personally, to me, the visuals, make up a huge part of the immersion for me when it comes to VFR flying, which I solely choose the lancair legacy for. FSX/P3D doesn't really come close to that when compared to MSFS now does it? Even with a fully blown FSX/P3D with all the addons, it can't even compare to vanilla MSFS.

Clearly FSX/P3D must have come close to having been an enjoyable experience, or you wouldn't actually be missing that aeroplane now, would you? And it obviously did compare to MSFS and even surpass it if you felt so strongly about what it was able to do that you went to the extent of creating a topic on a forum about how much you miss the experience it gave you.

You could try flying the aeroplane you like at dusk or at night or in IMC if the terrain is such a deal-breaker in P3D. Sure the view can be nice, but there is more to flying aeroplane than what is going on out of the window. You might also try importing the aeroplane into MSFS too. Dunno if it would work, but I guess it is worth a shot.

  • Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, captain420 said:

Cause those are old and outdated sims and I deleted them a long time ago for MSFS. Plus how can you even go back to those sims after flying in MSFS? It's like driving a ferrari and then going back to a mustang. MSFS has spoiled me.

Outdated or not, not as pretty or not, they DO work 99% of the time.  This is a status not yet attained by MSFS. No doubt it will at some time achieve the greatness indicated by its potential.

There is not a lot NOT to love with P3D and Xplane, particularly if anyone has thrown a considerable amount of money at them.  

For me, I love them all and I aint not never ever going to delete them until MSFS is 80-90% consistently great.

Tony


Tony Chilcott.

 

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My personal connection with the Lancair was the plane. The scenery. Meh.. The plane sold me.. It had soul.

So much so it got me neck deep into repainting so much I churned out some of my best work ever repainting it and the cockpit

QD53i5B.jpg2Bktf85.jpgoUQOQRe.jpg

Edited by styckx
  • Like 2

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fppilot said:

Ferrari would never put an unfinished model out into the world. Without a finished set of gauges? A defective audio system (i.e. ATC, ATIS/AWOS).

Folks who say this never drove a late 70s to early 00s Ferrari. 😅 I still remember driving around a 512TR at work, RPM gauge bouncing everywhere, notchy metal H gate shifter that would catch if you shifted too fast, mirrors that were too small, leather dash that would curl up in the corners where the cardboard would get hot (even if you kept it out of the sun), a clutch pedal that was so crammed into the footwell that I had to take my shoes off, and the tinniest sounding "premium" radio you've ever heard. But it sure did look amazing, even if it was heavy. Just don't get a spider. They leak half the time and the other half the microswitches for the top need to be replaced.

I knew quite a few 348s, 355s, and 360s that had more shop miles than road miles. Oh, and your belts are shot after 5K, and the only way to do that service is to drop the whole engine down from the back.

Fun times, that era.

-Matt

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Matt Nischan
Architect | Lead Developer

ZF67cij.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, styckx said:

My personal connection with the Lancair was the plane. The scenery. Meh.. The plane sold me.. It had soul.

So much so it got me neck deep into repainting so much I churned out some of my best work ever repainting it and the cockpit

That looks really good, almost like the Ferrari of interior paint jobs. Speaking of such things, I never rode in a Ferrari as I'm not a car guy, though I did know a guy in college who took a loan out for medical school and used it to buy a $120,000 car. He then ran out of money to finish his schooling, so he had to go overseas (and then had to store the car), and I think sell it. Now this was in the early 1990's, so you can imagine the equivalent of how much such a car would cost today. I rode in his car a few times, I actually hated it. It was some type of Acura NSX, but it had been retrofitted with like $50,000 worth of specialty equipment. It was the most ridiculous, loudest, and silliest thing I'd ever been in.

I am still not sure if he ever finished school as I lost touch with him, but talk about the dumbest of dumb decisions. I don't know that he really used the school loan for the car (as they verify some of that, so not sure how he got away with it), but that was the STORY he told everyone anyhow (of how he afforded the car).

Edited by Alpine Scenery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alpine Scenery said:

That looks really good, almost like the Ferrari of interior paint jobs.

Thanks  I dumped an immense amount of time back in the day doing those cockpit repaints. That plane was my home for a long time.. I'm pretty sure that was the last aircraft repaint I ever did.. I didn't do many but the Lancair consumed about 90% of my aircraft repaint career.


ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No point in having a nice plane if the scenery can't be enjoyed by it. Especially when doing VFR flying in the lancair legacy. A nice plane like that deserves a sim capable of delivering the scenery to compliment it.


ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (20H2) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I never owned the Lancair, that was the one plane I never got around to buying, i think I had every other major plane (almost). I had all the Milviz stuff, the A2A, the Majestic Q400, 70% of the Carenados, and the PMDG stuff. I'm sure there were a few other major ones I missed, but I spent too much as it was, so I had to find a stopping point. So much money on Carenado for planes and Orbx for scenery.

My favorite was the Q400 overall, if I had to pick one, but I had many favorites. A2A had some amazing stuff, but I wasn't into GA as much back then because the graphics and what not, in FS2020 I do more GA than the old days.

 

Edited by Alpine Scenery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Chock said:

Clearly FSX/P3D must have come close to having been an enjoyable experience, or you wouldn't actually be missing that aeroplane now, would you? And it obviously did compare to MSFS and even surpass it if you felt so strongly about what it was able to do that you went to the extent of creating a topic on a forum about how much you miss the experience it gave you.

You could try flying the aeroplane you like at dusk or at night or in IMC if the terrain is such a deal-breaker in P3D. Sure the view can be nice, but there is more to flying aeroplane than what is going on out of the window. You might also try importing the aeroplane into MSFS too. Dunno if it would work, but I guess it is worth a shot.

This is avsim....no prior sim was ever enjoyable and attractive before MSFS.

Users installed, loaded and have flown FSX P3D and XP11 for years with huge frowns and depression.

No one actually enjoyed those sims at all and spending thousands of dollars in payware addons and hardware for them was done out of pure misery.

@MattNischan Yup the F355s costly "mandatory engine out" maintenance service intimidated tons of potential used market buyers.

Even after they have become more and more affordable to purchase outright, that has been the biggest turn off with the F355.

 @styckxGorgeous paintwork on the Legacy!🍻

  • Like 3

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It’s an awesome bird, one of my all time favorites. Let’s hope it arrives some day in MSFS.

Edit: and yeah, XP11 is an awful sim too, terrible scenery, totally worthless, wasted years of my life on that word not allowed. just appalling really. /sarcasm

To be honest, I’ve barely used XP since august last year. Not because it’s so bad. But because I find MSFS so much more enjoyable in so many ways. Is it perfect? Of course not. Not yet at least.
 

Wcvtoxk.jpg

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 5

i9-10900KF @ 5,2GHz w/ EK-Velocity | Asus ROG Strix OC RTX 3090 24GB w/ EK-Quantum Vector | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 64 GB 3466MHz DDR4 | 2x Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD 500GB in RAID0 | 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB 2.5" | Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA

Acer 37,5" 3840x1600 Curved IPS | Fractal Design Define R6 | 2x EK Coolstream SE 360 | 6x Corsair ML120 Pro RGB 120 mm | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | TrackIR 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

This is avsim....no prior sim was ever enjoyable and attractive before MSFS.

Users installed, loaded and have flown FSX P3D and XP11 for years with huge frowns and depression.

The TrueEarth series for the european countries came pretty close to FS 2020 quality, I remember there were some airports on some islands (maybe ENAL, I forget), but they were very well done and high-res looking, and the PR was close enough to FS 2020. The problem was every time you had to shell out the $40 to $70 for the area then another $20 to $30 per airport, man that got expensive fast. Add in the plane expenses, and it was seriously thousands of dollars.

The clouds, water, and trees couldn't come close to FS 2020 though. FS 2020 left them all in the dust on that one.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

The TrueEarth series for the european countries came pretty close to FS 2020 quality, I remember there were some airports on some islands (maybe ENAL, I forget), but they were very well done and high-res looking, and the PR was close enough to FS 2020. The problem was every time you had to shell out the $40 to $70 for the area then another $20 to $30 per airport, man that got expensive fast. Add in the plane expenses, and it was seriously thousands of dollars.

The clouds, water, and trees couldn't come close to FS 2020 though. FS 2020 left them all in the dust on that one.

There are still times in FSX/P3D for me that look better than MSFS.

There are also times/conditions where MSFS can look just as washed out and bland as XP11.

I still love the colors and atmospheric mood of FSX/P3D and imo MSFS doesn't replace any of the prior sims.

They are all just have a different character depending on what I'm in the mood for.

Indeed REX and ORBX products have shined the FSX/P3D platform up really nice over the past decade.

 


Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    48%
    $12,180.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...