Sign in to follow this  
Mogster

Real world weather not representative of local conditions.

Weather in NW England today has been very heavy rain, winds 20-30kts 180°. Local airports are reporting similar.

Real world weather has imported correct wind speeds but from 256°, high overcast but no rain all day. I’m aware that the imported weather represents a forecast but is everyone seeing this sort of disparity?

Come to think about it I can’t remember seeing rain imported ever 🤨

This is one of MSFS’ primary shortcomings. As long as it does not depict real weather accurately, including winds aloft, it cannot really be a whole world simulation. They are part and parcel of any location.

Asobo continues to dogmatically keep this bit closed off… so we are left in limbo. Metoblue is a RW aviation resource, but Asobo’s implementation is currently rubbish.

Fingers x’ed!

C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

55 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Weather in NW England today has been very heavy rain, winds 20-30kts 180°. Local airports are reporting similar.

Real world weather has imported correct wind speeds but from 256°, high overcast but no rain all day. I’m aware that the imported weather represents a forecast but is everyone seeing this sort of disparity?

Come to think about it I can’t remember seeing rain imported ever 🤨

This has been a great issue since initial release, especially in the USA.  Sometimes it is on the money, but mostly not for me.  I use the REX Weather Force.  It is not perfect, but significantly better and more reliable in producing timely conditions.  I say that, but I do need to add here that for the past 90 days or so all of my MSFS flying is in VFR/Clear Skies in order to enjoy the scenery.  I do fly a fantasy schedule based on particular sports teams and when I do I fly realtime with realtime weather.  This if often in IFR conditions somewhere in the route.  I do that flying in FSX SE with addons that produce much better aircraft, avionics, weather, and weather textures.  In those conditons I am seeing the cloud textures (REX) and not always seeing the ground scenery  anyway.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

It's been like this from beginning of times. On the bright side Asobo aware of it and it's on the list of fixes

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

That’s a shame. I’ve been away in DCS land for a few months and hoped things had improved, there was a workaround or a nicely integrated 3rd party solution. It seems not.

Such a waste, the terrain, lighting and environmental effects are all very nicely done. There seems to be no excuse for not having accurate in game weather where there’s real time uploading of data, airports are one of those places. I can understand things getting a bit sketchy if there’s a large gap between stations or if the station stops reporting but actually at an airport that’s reporting accurate weather constantly, there’s no reason to not have accurate weather in 2021...

How does the Rex Weather work, is it worth getting?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Flew in the UK yesterday and got tons of heavy rain and high winds - certainly made things interesting.  Also, it seemed to match my preflight metar reports.

Randall Rocke

It's hit or miss, I once flew to a place that rarely gets snow that had just gotten the largest blizzard in 50 years. It had 2 feet of snow in the middle of a desert (record), well the sim did depict some of the snow, but it was a very small area, wherein the real world the snow extended out about 80-120 miles, the Sim had depicted it to an area of about 30 miles.

Another time, there was a mix of rain and snow at this one airport, so I decided to take off there. The SIM had it exactly right, showing rain mixing with snow, that was impressive.

Generally speaking, in the past it didn't show rain enough, now it seems to have been altered and shows too much rain and too dense clouds where there shouldn't be. It seems like they adjusted it, but who knows.

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

How does the Rex Weather work, is it worth getting?

It can be if accurate aerodrome weather is important, as it’s METAR based. You’ll loose some of the dynamic effects of default weather though, and I found the rather abrupt transitions between METARs to be too distracting. Haven’t used it in a while though, it might have improved. 

This post over the MSFS’ forums sums it up quite succinctly: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/rex-weather-force-out/285728/438

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

I live about 20 miles west of DFW and we have thunderstorms moving into our area. I fired up the FBW A320 and took off from DFW and headed this way. The weather at DFW was scattered clouds. As I turned west the radar showed the thunder storm cells and lightning was visible. For once it was pretty accurate. As has been stated, it can be hit or miss.

NAX669.png

Does the SIM depict hail or sleet, a hail add-on would be pretty funny if all the planes had dents in them at the airport.

15 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Does the SIM depict hail or sleet, a hail add-on would be pretty funny if all the planes had dents in them at the airport.

Especially if the damage was recorded permanently (JF Arrow style) and you had to buy a replacement aircraft from the marketplace to fix it.

2 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Especially if the damage was recorded permanently (JF Arrow style) and you had to buy a replacement aircraft from the marketplace to fix it.

Yah, it's a nightmare at airports when it happens. Seen it on the news before all these jets they didn't get them into the hangar in time. Cannot imagine the repair bills or the fight with the insurance company. It was some airport in Wyoming if I recall, softball to even larger near watermelon sized hail.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

So can someone explain how ASOBO WX works? Does it start with an initial condition and then use physics to play out the rest in real time?

And if so, is it even possible to make such a model match the real world?

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

The point to me is that when you spawn at an airport reporting weather with real world weather set the in game, the weather loaded should match what the station is reporting.

I don’t see why that’s not possible. Apps like flight radar have the information.