Sign in to follow this  
rfelger

Bloom Setting

Does anyone have thoughts on the Bloom setting as far as smoothness when its off vs on? I'm interested in seeing of anyone has benefited from it being off. I do like the glint effects it provides but if it makes the sim smoother when off, I'm not sure.

Thanks guys...

UPS123.png

You will get differing viewpoints on this. I personally prefer it on.....better looking sun, night lighting at airports and beacon lights.  I don't notice any hit to my fps with it on and my system is only mid range.

• Upvote 1

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

I'd rather have it on Off
But the sun is really ugly without the bloom ...
I don't know if there is a solution to have the bloom off but to have the sun with the glare?

And at home I lose fluidity with the bloom activated

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Tried turning it off to see the difference. Did not like it one bit, so it went back on. By turning bloom off, you lose on many effects that in my opinion make the whole sim look flat and drab. Bloom makes a big difference. I did not see any noticeable change to FPS on my very average system so unless you are a FPS hunter, leave it on is what i say.

• Like 3

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

1080Ti at 4k, 70% scaling, high / ultra settings - Bloom on or off made no significant difference that I could measure.

I tested this due to a recent performance loss, especially when at low speed on the runway.  Some said bloom might be the cause.

However, I finally traced the issue to shadows, which I had set at 4096 in the user config file.  When I put them back to 2048, I got my frames back!

This seems to be new issue though, as I never had this drop off until recently, so maybe something has changed with the shadow rendering.  It's a bit of a strange one.
It only happened below about 20 knots on the runway.  At speed and in the air, performance was, and still is excellent!

EDIT:  Just to add.  I am also on the latest Nvidia driver (466.27) and I find no problems with it.  The FPS / GPU 100% on runway issue was with the old 457.30 and the new driver, so not a driver issue.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

TLDR?  Bloom ON;  updated driver -- good performance and good looks.

For me the issue is more complex than I care to explore at the moment.  I had had bad performance at airports that seemed to be tied to runways and one day, after flying from Palm Springs to LAX 24R, while doing other testing using the developer FPS counter,  I found that Bloom made a major difference and it only seemed to be a problem when right near the runway.

The issue got more complicated when I wondered if grass runways with lights would cause the same problem for me and they didnt and then I went back to a runway that did have issues but now did not so then I went back to KLAX 24R and it suddenly did not have that Bloom issue but then I repeated the Palm Springs to KLAX flight and again, yes, Bloom on was a problem.

I then decided 'to heck with this nonsense' and turned the frames counter off and shortly after that I updated to driver 466.11 (I think) which has been wonderful ever since and I just dont care to explore the inner workers of this strange sim...Id rather fly... so Bloom ON, in short.

• Like 2

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.