Sign in to follow this  
Steeler

Hello community! Let me introduce myself.

Hello community,

My nickname is Steeler - a name chosen at a time when I wasn‘t even sure whether that was a proper English word or name. So yes, that puts us back into the „golden time of PC flight sims“, or actually even before that!

My first „serious“ flight simulator was probably (memory is a bit foggy here) Microprose Gunship on the C64, but I faintly remember having played Flight Simulator II.

Other „big names“ - all fondly remebered - and a new Amiga computer followed: Interceptor, Falcon, Flight Simulator IV, Their Finest Hour, Chuck Yeager‘s Advanced Flight Trainer… gosh, how I remember when AFT was supposed to be released and I walked from computer store to computer store, until I actually found a copy in a tiny game store! And I couldn‘t actually play it for another couple of days, as I was on christmas holidays or so with my grandmom - that is, „away from computer“!

Oh and I fondly remember the first „online“ battles with Falcon 3.0 when friends and I connected your computers (still Amigas, IIRC, but later PCs for sure) with a „null modem cable“.

In the mid 90ies I basically stopped playing computer games almost completely, so it wasn‘t until FS2020 came along that I made a „return“ to flight simulators. Well, „return“ is probably a little too big as a word: I simply enjoy the beautiful graphics and especially the gorgeous cloud rendering! That‘s what we have been dreaming of as kids!

As such I don‘t mind too much low(er) framerates or the occasional stutters, or that the stock aircrafts do not behave 100% „like the real world“ (I couldn‘t tell the difference myself anyway). But they all have a distinct flight model, and they make me feel as if they were „the real thing“. That‘s all really I personally expect from a PC flight simulator.

Oh, and I am so enthusiastic that I developed my own flight replay tool (open source) and I am now the proud owner of a HOTAS stick and throttle 😉

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Welcome to Avsim. 🙂

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Welcome to Avsim, we do have a very active MSFS forum.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

5 hours ago, stans said:

Welcome to Avsim, we do have a very active MSFS forum.

Yes, so I have noticed 🙂 I'll first go through existing posts and "get the general feel" for this forum, and then I try to contribute with answers as much as possible - and maybe occasionaly also a question of my own of two 😉

See you in the skies!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Steeler said:

Yes, so I have noticed 🙂 I'll first go through existing posts and "get the general feel" for this forum, and then I try to contribute with answers as much as possible - and maybe occasionaly also a question of my own of two 😉

See you in the skies!

Great! And welcome!

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere