Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Is reinstalling a good decision?

In the last two days, on approach I have had four screen freezes, and 2 CTDs and not one successful flight all the way to the arrival landing. I have emptied the Community folder except for the JF Arrow.  This always happens within about 25 miles of the arrival airport. The flight that just CTD , I was 10 miles from landing. Now I am thinking that maybe the only alternative , which I have never had to do with any sim I have flown, is to uninstall and reinstall it. Is this a wise decision, that's what I can't figure out. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

8 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

In the last two days, on approach I have had four screen freezes, and 2 CTDs and not one successful flight all the way to the arrival landing. I have emptied the Community folder except for the JF Arrow.  This always happens within about 25 miles of the arrival airport. The flight that just CTD , I was 10 miles from landing. Now I am thinking that maybe the only alternative , which I have never had to do with any sim I have flown, is to uninstall and reinstall it. Is this a wise decision, that's what I can't figure out. 

I was having freezes like that a while ago, but it hasnt happened in a long time. I didnt reinstall anything or really do anything different, other than lower my graphics settings from Ultra to High-End when flying demanding aircraft like the CRJ.

I suspected the freezes were due to too much demand on my system, so it might worth a try lowering your settings if you haven't done so already. Otherwise reinstalling couldnt hurt.

I understand how extremely frustrating it is since I constantly had CTDs and freezes on P3D, and nothing seemed to resolve them.

I've done two reinstalls already (one to move the sim to a new drive) and I can't say it fixed anything, but there's no real downside that I can see.  All my settings kept, and as long as your internet speed is good enough, I just let it run overnight.  Then just put everything back into the community folder.  I had taken screenshots of all my settings and controller assignments, but didn't need any of it. 

Again I won't promise it will help, but as far as I can tell the process is pretty easy and painless (provided you're not on a limited internet connection).

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

58 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I reinstalled MSFS twice. First time, I've been told uninstall beta and install release. However, second time I elected myself to do so because I had lot of problems CTDs, freezes and so on. It painfully long process but totally worth it in my case. There is guaranteed it will fix anything but it did work for me!

P.S. Make sure you backup yours community folder. And then reintroduce add ons later!

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I am installing it now. Even reinstalling it is confusing. I had the Premium deluxe version, so I clicked on that , it installs some files, Then MSFS  starts and I guess now it is installing the sim itself. Hopefully this will cure some of the problems I was having. otherwise, another hobby is in the works. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

8 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

I reinstalled MSFS twice. First time, I've been told uninstall beta and install release. However, second time I elected myself to do so because I had lot of problems CTDs, freezes and so on. It painfully long process but totally worth it in my case. There is guaranteed it will fix anything but it did work for me!

P.S. Make sure you backup yours community folder. And then reintroduce add ons later!

Yeah I forgot to back up community  folder, but all it had was the JF Arrow, and I still have the install for that. Question, after it installs, do you have to run the updates too, or are they part of the install?

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

Yeah I forgot to back up community  folder, but all it had was the JF Arrow, and I still have the install for that. Question, after it installs, do you have to run the updates too, or are they part of the install?

The simupdates are part of the install. It seems to download the original files (from August I guess) and all the updates since then. The Worldupdates, along with all other purchases from the marketplace can be downloaded from within the Content Manager.
The sim also remembers all your settings, including controllers. IMO that's a mixed bag since retaining the settings might mean retaining the issues as well.

If you suspect the CTD's are caused by the World Updates you could hold off installing them until you have flown some of the known CTD routes so you can compare before/after.

Good luck. This sim is a beauty when it works, and a butch when it doesn't.

Edited by orchestra_nl
something that wasn't allowed
  • Upvote 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

CTD after CTD after CTD, this is so FSX all over gain it's crazy.  Try this try that, update to fix one thing break 2 others, beyond ridiculous 

CTDs ususally point to user-generated problems. Review your system/software, etc. as a first step in trouble shooting. Many actual causes - overclocks, community folders that look like the insight of Dracula's castle, broken runtime libraries, messing around with core sim files without knowing what one is doing, etc. - have already been posted in the 4500 threads about these issues. Review your Windows Event Viewer log(s). Post the content into Google to see what comes up.

17 minutes ago, canuk22 said:

CTD after CTD after CTD, this is so FSX all over gain it's crazy.  Try this try that, update to fix one thing break 2 others, beyond ridiculous 

3 minutes ago, canuk22 said:

none of the above

And these 2 posts of yours are supposed to help the OP in which way ?

• Like 4

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

What do you want me to tell you, the sim was working and now it's not, ever since the hotfix.  The hotfix botch it, do these people ever test things?  They're chasing their tail!!!

2 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

CTDs ususally point to user-generated problems. Review your system/software, etc. as a first step in trouble shooting. Many actual causes - overclocks, community folders that look like the insight of Dracula's castle, broken runtime libraries, messing around with core sim files without knowing what one is doing, etc. - have already been posted in the 4500 threads about these issues. Review your Windows Event Viewer log(s). Post the content into Google to see what comes up.

Tried  everyone of those at least 2 dozen times. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 2

Reinstall went smooth. Got up this morning, already loading is much smoother, music doesn't drop out as it is loading. All settings are saved . I was surprised it even saved my logbook , all my hours are still there. I guess that proves that the hours are stored in the cloud, because after uninstalling, I had deleted anything that was in MSFS folders. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 2

I flew exactly 5 minutes and a CTD. So much for reinstalling.