Sign in to follow this  
Guest Peter Wilding

Stutters, who has a solution ?

Hi,I saw many treads about stutters on FSX, sometime quite confusing, and I wanted to know if someone has been able to get rid of the stutters when taxiing with FSX.After months of tweaking, I have been able to find a good FPS compromise (always 18-25fps - good weather, 12-22 other weathers) with FSX, even at large airports.My current settings are:Graffics: Anisotropic, global option maxed, 1024x768x32 (I used 1280x1024x32 but more stutters and far less fps),Aircraft: Just the landing lightsScenery: All maxed, except: no autogen, mesh complexity 10m, texture resolution 1m, water details high 1x.Wheather: Detailed clouds 60miles, thin,Traffic: No traffic, except airport groundI do not use resized texture (never see any added value when tried, even more stutters), my only FSX.cfg tweaks are:Fiber frame: 0.25Texture bandwith: 800 (seem to work better than 400 or lower)Poolsize: 10 mioI choosed no autogen as I feel that quality ground texture available in FSX is more realistic, and sim much more smooth without autogen. So far by reducing (as above) mesh complexity and texture resolution, I have been able to get rid of most taxy stutters when on spot view, but still experience strong stutters when on window view.System specs: AMD Athlon Dual Core 64x2 4400+HD: 2X130gb, 7200RPMGraffic: NVIDIA 6500, 256MB, Drivers 93.71Installation:C Drive (NTFS): FS9+OS+Page fileD Drive (FAT32) FSX+system init filesNote: Installing FSX on D helped a lot for fps (no page file) Many thanks for your time and suggestionsPatrick JorandGeneva, Switzerland

Have your tried the default for Fiber frame? .33You have to move some sliders to the left.

Guest Redvan

how much RAM do you have? I have 1gig and I stutter, using memstatus, it says I'm using 98% of my RAM, and only about 40% of my video memory. I am getting 2gig in the mail today, will install and let you know if that helps, I'm guessing it will.

Guest Peter Wilding

This is a very interesting post as it way my understanding that the top of the range AMD's did not suffer this memory leak issue?I'm assuming this is the memory leak issue associated with FSX?Have you tried to monitor your RAM usage during flight?Assuming 2gb of RAM on my system it creeps up over time and then I get the stutters.I've got an Intel Core 2 duo 6600 which is a known problem cup for the RAM memory leak.To monitor your ram you can use a program such as MemStatus which is Freeware by Kevin ReemsMy ram starts out at around 60% RAM in use and gradually gets up to over 93% and then the program FSX can crap out or lock or report memroy out message. Always very big stutters once the RAM gets near full.Peter

I forgot to mention that I run under Window Media Center OS with 2gig ram (4x512 DDR2 533MHZ) and a target fps at 25.FPS has never been a problem with FSX, provided that I shut down ai traffic and autogen and maintain water setting at 1xhigh, a 18-25 fps all time is for me quite acceptable with fsx, considering that my system is medium end.My only problem with FSX is really those stutters on the ground, which seam to be connected with taxiway textures (mostly taxiway marks) and airport buildings, and only on wing view (are wing views based on 3d panel, I fly with 2d when on cockpit view)I saw that there is a 64x2 dual core optimiser file file in the AMD side, has anyone tried it with success in term of stutters or fps ?Sorry to insist on the stutter issue, but it seem that it is our main problem with FSX, far over fps, and there should be a solution somewhere and exchanging our experience could help to find it.Regards,PatrickGeneva

Guest The Wizard of Oz

PatickDo you have Anti-aliasing checked ON internally in FSX in Settings -Display menu? If so what happens when you turn it OFF.?Re WOZ

I think your BufferPools is too high.When I set my BufferPools to 10 million, I got all kinds of stutters.I also think your TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT is too high. When I set TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT to 400 or anything higher, I got all sorts of stutters.I presently run BufferPools at 2500000 andTEXTURE_BANDWIDTH at 100.Everything is nice and smooth.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Peter Wilding

Just been talking to our advsisor Michael Greenbaltt, and he's got some thoughts to help you guys.He's helped even us "developers" get more than a few extra frames.He really is the top cosultant to use for advice on these issues.Pleaes feel free to contact him on ramsa329@msn.com

Guest FxF3

What Mace said is true for me also when I set the BufferPools well to any setting. I got micro stutters. I removed the setting from the cfg file.

Thanks for all your comments.To answer your two questions first:a) I am running fsx with AA off in the game, just anisotropic on in the game (AF seem more efficient via FSX that GC).:( Will try to reduce or eliminate buffer poolsize and reduce texture bandwith tonight and will let you know the impact. (FYI Have tried bandwith at 100 in the past without success, so might be a combination of both lower poolsize+bandwith)However, what wonders me, and I wish to point this out, is that I never had any stutter while in flight, anywhere, it really seem to be linked with airport buildings and taxiways, may be something to check with the way those specific textures are checked by fsx (multiple queries ?, wrong programing of texture format ?, texture loading problem ?), I feel certain that we should find something in those areas (sorry if my english is not perfect).The reason I am insisting is that I tried nearly all possible settings either in FSX setting display, or through various values in FSX.cfg (poolsize, bandwith, fiber frame fraction) and have never been able to get rid on these ground stutters, which are definitly stronger when wingviewed. This is another point, it never happened on cockpit view, just a bit a spot view, but it become quite strong when on wing view. Is that anything to check with 3d panel ?(probably the one used for wing view). Another interesting point, i never had any stutter while flying, anywhere, even in dense areas since I fly with autogen off, everything is perfectly smooth with a constant 25fps. When I used to have a normal autogen, even sparse, stuttering happened on landing (over mountain or large cities), even with a good 20+ fps, and were linked to trees and buildings loading, since I cutted autogen off, no more stutters in flight or landing.Another interesting example, when I take off and try a wing view, stuttering will continue just until airport buildings and airport taxiways are visible, after that, no more stutters at all ! Conclusion, stutters in FSX seem to be heavily linked to certain part of scenery/autogen loading: airport buildings and taxiways, taxiway marks for scenery, trees and buildings for autogen.Note: I have my autogen default.xml renamed to bak since the beginning. This bring us back to this post where one of us (dont' remember the name sorry) had monitored the way FSX checks texture files for loading, with multiple requests. I am not sure, but I feel something important is there, and there might be a way to sort this out, finally.I hope that like me, most of you are wishing to get rid of the fsx stutters which are a really anoying, and I would really wish to continue the discussion until we find THE SOLUTION.On my side, am ready to participate to another discussion on fps, as my current settings (mentioned on top post)brought me a very acceptable fps (18-25 all time) with quite a medium end system.Hope those comments will bring something to the debate. Kind regardsPatrick JorandGeneva

New observation:Just tried putting poolsize at 2mio, then 1mio, and texture bandwith at 100, no change, still stutters, even when trying to unchek ground texture details.CheersPatrick

Guest Xiderpunk

After installing VFR Gen-X photo scenery I found I had terrible stuttering, this was with the 1m texture resolution. I changed it to 7cm and bingo.. only very rare stutters! There is something very weird about it but I don't have an explanation only that setting 7cm cures the stuttering, 1m causes problems.Try changing your texture resolution slider to 7cm and see if it helps.

>>:( Will try to reduce or eliminate buffer poolsize and reduce>texture bandwith tonight and will let you know the impact.>(FYI Have tried bandwith at 100 in the past without success,>so might be a combination of both lower poolsize+bandwith)>For me it was a combination. If I ran TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH at 400and PoolSize of 2.5 mil, it was stutter-fest.But if I ran TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH at 100and PoolSize of 2.5 mil, it was A-OK.I am sure you have done more experimentation than I have though.For me, it seems that TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH has the most impact on stutters. The BufferPools setting is only the megs of video memory to allocate to (gauges/VC's/panels??). I.E. 10000000 = 10 megs vid mem.On a 256 meg sys I'd say 10 million is too high. speaking off-the-cuff, of course.>However, what wonders me, and I wish to point this out, is>that I never had any stutter while in flight, anywhere, it>really seem to be linked with airport buildings and taxiways,>may be something to check with the way those specific textures>are checked by fsx (multiple queries ?, wrong programing of>texture format ?, texture loading problem ?), I feel certain>that we should find something in those areas (sorry if my>english is not perfect).>Some rigs appear to have problems with the SPECULAR TEXTURES present on many airport buildings. Were you aware of that? I'd do some research on the specular textures here in the forum.>When I used to have a normal autogen, even sparse, stuttering>happened on landing (over mountain or large cities), even with>a good 20+ fps, and were linked to trees and buildings>loading, since I cutted autogen off, no more stutters in>flight or landing.>Well then I'd say your gfx card cannot handle that much autogen.Not sure what a 6500 is, maybe you meant 6600 when you posted your specs.>Another interesting example, when I take off and try a wing>view, stuttering will continue just until airport buildings>and airport taxiways are visible, after that, no more stutters>at all ! >I'd guess that specular textures are overwhelming your vid card.>This bring us back to this post where one of us (dont'>remember the name sorry) had monitored the way FSX checks>texture files for loading, with multiple requests. I am not>sure, but I feel something important is there, and there might>be a way to sort this out, finally.>I agree, I do feel that cpu-stealing file lookups are a problem with FSX. That too is probably an issue here. I think though, essentially you can "hardware-away" that problem. The 6600 doesn't like the graphic settings you are trying to run.>I hope that like me, most of you are wishing to get rid of the>fsx stutters which are a really anoying, and I would really>wish to continue the discussion until we find THE SOLUTION.>I do not have any regular stutters on my system. Oh sure, if I pan around super-fast in spot view at a big airport, then yes, it will buck around and stick up. But by and large taxiing around, flying around, no stutters.>Patrick Jorand>Geneva>Ah, Switzerland. I have been to the Bernese Oberland and also Zurich. I saw lake Geneva from the air but didn't go to Geneva. Went to Bern, Thun, Interlaken too. Went up to the Schilthorn of James Bond fame. Skiied up there. It's called "off piste" or something like that I believe.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Hi Patrick,I sometimes get stuttering while taxiing or while flying in dense scenery areas. I have most scenery sliders at max as well as autogen, but I've limited autogen with one of the many tweaks available.I've found that I can almost eliminate stuttering by increasing the zoom factor (+ key) to about 100%. Since I don't always like the view at 100%, I eventually bring it back to about 70 or 80 after I've left the dense scenery area. Since it's only a matter of pressing + or - it works very quickly and seems to be a reasonable method until another good tweak is available. I hope this helps.I have installed a dual core optimizer which I believe came from AMD. I can't really tell what good it has done, but I'm relatively happy with FSX on machine so I'll guess that it helped. Maybe that's wishful thinking.I notice that you live in Switzerland and I was wondering if you tried using "Suisse 2004" in FSX? It's excellent in FS2004 and looks great in FSX except that Gerish Gray's trees do not display properly. They display as white or gray rectangles or other blank square objects without any texture. I've tried putting Gerish's textures and tree bgl file in various folders but it doesn't help.Have you tried Suisse 2004 in FSX?Did you have any problem with trees etc.Also, if it did work, where did you put the tree bgl and texture files.I'd appreciate any help as Suisse 2004 is one my favorite scenery addons.Have a good day....