Sign in to follow this  
MOD71

Britten-Norman BN-2 from Black Box Sim coming soon

Looks like a nice model. I'm very tempted to get it. I'll wait for Alan's review.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Just now, DJJose said:

Looks like a nice model. I'm very tempted to get it. I'll wait for Alan's review.

Won't have to wait long then. 🙂

• Like 10

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thanks for the review, Chock!

Alienware m15 R7: Intel Core i7-12700H, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, nVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8GB, Windows 11 Home.

MacBook Air: M1, 2020 (7-core GPU), 8GB unified memory, macOS Ventura

iMac: mid-2017, Core i5 3GHz, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon Pro 555 2GB, macOS Ventura.

Sims: MSFS, X-Plane 10, 11 & 12.

I really like this plane.  It does need some attention, but hopefully they will keep improving it like they did with the Cessna Bird Dog.

The sounds are obviously without the new 3-D system, but they sound good to me, just as I remember the BN-2, but it flies really nice, and is a good foundation for improving upon.

I took it out of Milford Sound, New Zealand, with the new Orbx mesh and I had a blast.

Later, I will see if it passes the St. Barths test! :biggrin:

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

13 minutes ago, Chock said:

Won't have to wait long then. 🙂

Thanks for the review and for saving me some money. As soon as I saw the vc textures I stopped watching.

Was pretty excited about this but the VC textures put me off so think I’ll wait for an update.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Nice review, and not too long. Bought this specifically for Neofly. Perfect for VFR puddle jumping.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Bought it earlier, and really like it, great for short hops between islands etc

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

1 hour ago, DJJose said:

Thanks for the review and for saving me some money. As soon as I saw the vc textures I stopped watching.

46 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

Was pretty excited about this but the VC textures put me off so think I’ll wait for an update.

This developer emphatically stated on his Birddog that it was not a FSX/P3d model port-over....but a built from scratch model for MSFS.

I'm sure he'll be quick to make the same claim for this one too (if he hasn't already).

Here is what he fails to understand about making that statement...it makes him look bad because....Either:

1. He's lying almost by the fact you can count the vertices on his "round" gauges and panel holes, that would support that this is an years-old product just ported over.

OR

2. He is a horrible 3d modeler when it comes to making round objects, and using all the advanced techniques Blender and other tools offer in this new medium.

Examples of GOOD modeling:

Default Cessna 172:

QxSFR9.jpg

Dino's gauges on the MB339

WRME24.jpg

Carenado's Mooney panel

pnBo3WfHj

I came to the same conclusion about this plane when I saw the panel.   Acceptable maybe for a $15 (max) add on.  For a $29 one...competing with the panels above....Hard Pass.  

I really want to like this plane and the Dev...but I can't stomach the completely sub-par modeling compared to the examples above with the same asking price (or free in the case of the 172).  This is my personal preference and I know some will enjoy this plane despite this sub-par craftsmanship...and that's cool.   

I only hope he gets feedback on it and tries to make if better for the folks who've already bought it...and it receives more attention than his company's AIrbus line. 🙄
He did regularly update the Birddog, so hope he does the same with this one.

Edited by Steve Dra
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

LOVE the plane so far. Not quite perfect, but so enjoyable. Congratulations, Blackbox. 

Peter

Of course one can judge airplanes in the sim just by their build quality (model and textures) or by their system depth only. But aircraft like the Islander have a soul and to me the pure fact it is available is more important than system depth or build quality, which are ~ok in my opinion.

However, I wouldn't say "no" to more build quality and system depth, if Black Box ever comes up with it.

Karl

• Like 1

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

There were some interesting variants of the BN2 about, most of which never made it into full production ...

avisland_03.jpg

avisland_06.jpg

Then of course there was the Trislander (which even had a rocket assisted takeoff variant) which probably failed to sell due to being butt ugly ... 

britten-norman-trislander-37789ecf-5cee-

Do you remember time when the payware aircrafts looked better than the deafult ones?

• Like 1

What's up @Steve Dra? I hope all is well.

I have a lot of experience with the F1 version.

I was hoping for a more modern & better looking model for MSFS. Even the X-Plane version, for me, is a better option.

Jose

Edited by DJJose

2 hours ago, kiki said:

Do you remember time when the payware aircrafts looked better than the deafult ones?

Personally, I'm more interested in the ones that fly better than the default ones.