Sign in to follow this  
Gary1124

Hard Drives And Controls

1 hour ago, in2tech said:

.. it is correct that you have to install SSD's inside your PC case directly to the motherboard, meaning an External SSD will not work? Also, does USB-C matter for that case. Just trying to get info in case I install a SATA SSD, or even a new PC purchase in the future.

A SATA SSD is inexpensive and fast.. easy choice for MSFS.

For the OS, an M2 drive might be the preferred route if building a new system.

Bert

I researched my mobo. Looks like it has two compatible psie sockets that might host an m2 drive. I will seek out videos concerning that. I have in mind a 500 gig m2 just for MSFS 2020. I suppose Win 10 would call it Drive E seeing as I have C and D already.

7 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

A SATA SSD is inexpensive and fast..

Nowadays SATA or nvme drives are at the same price level, so go for nvme if your MB allowes for it.

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

Upon further researching of my Asus Mobo I discovered that the M.2 socket is between the CPU pedestal and the GPU. I don't know if I can physically get there or not with fat hands until I pull my tower out, remove the side glass, and have a good look.

I already have 1 fairly large sim on my 2TB hard disk drive. Trainz 2019. Also with three addon routes and assets they require. Takes about 60 to 90 seconds to load. Had it on Drive C SSD before my Windows crash last november. Loaded a lot quicker but I wanted nothing but fsx related files after I recovered windows 10 so I created a Steam directory on my drive D.

Edited by Gary1124