Sign in to follow this  
Guest nickw

RSS Feed for AVSIM Front Page News

Woohooo...Stubled across a cool website that lets one create a RSS feed from a site like AVSIM. Give a try, seems to work very well.http://feed43.com/avsim-news.xmlDoesn't include the file library additions, just the news. But I think I might be able to add library additions in a separate feed.Hopefully, I'm not breaking any rules by doing this. If so, let me know and I'll take it down :)Matt Fox

Here is a separate RSS feed for the new file releases.http://feed43.com/avsim-newfiles.xmlI know very little about programming so if someone thinks they can make these feeds better, let me know and I'll give you password to edit them.Matt

Matt, thank you for doing that. I downloaded Pluck today and gave it a try and it works great on both the Front Page and the Library. However, I don't know if it is a switch setting or what, but the FP shows up with oldest articles at the top, newest at the bottom. Other RSS feeds of "top down" or descending date order seem to work fine. Is there something you can switch to get them in chronological first order? I am going to announce this now on our news page, so it will get a lot of use, I am sure. Again thanks for taking the time and interest to do that.

The order in the RSS feed does seem to be a bit odd. May not be much I can do about it, but I'll check it out. This still isn't a true RSS feed, but more like a faked one so may behave a little different than other RSS feeds. Someone with some programming knowledge may be able to do a better job with it than me.Also, looks like the New files now show up with the main news feed, so don't need the separate one.MattPS, actually wasn't a lot of work. feed43.com does all the work :)Matt

I'm really happy to see this RSS feed being developed. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work properly when I tried it. I hope work will continue on it so any bugs can be worked out.

I've been wanting an RSS feed from AVSIM for a long time! I added this to my personalized google page (www.google.com/ig) but all the links in the feed link back to that page (http://www.google.com/ig), but since I know nil about RSS or XML, I can't even wager a guess.

This is the same identical problem I'm having with my Google page and the Avsim RSS links. When I hit any of the Avsim RSS links I get bounced right back to the google page also.

Doesn't look like it will work with Google or Yahoo front pages since those are not real RSS readers. Those simply link to the story at the actual website instead of displaying the story. Should work with actual RSS readers, such as www.bloglines.com or stand alone program.All this RSS feed does is search the html at the main news page for several phrases and then extracts text between those phrases and formats as RSS feed. So probably won't work as well as a true RSS feed. Also, if the editors that do the front page change something that is part of one of the search phrases it will break. The search phrases are:newsitemsize="2" face="verdana">html>

Guest AIRAC

That's sweet Matt. I always missed the big releases and good and bad news, because I forgot to surf to avsim on a regular basis. I have an RSS feed for almost all my favourite sites now. AVSIM has done it again. Keep up the good work!

Guest Kaltenbrunner

Hi,last year I wrote a simple PHP script that parses Avsim's front page every ten minutes and bakes RSS feeds. Since it's written specially for Avsim, it outputs a bit cleaner RSS file. For example, it can also be used with Firefox and its "Live Bookmarks" thing to bring latest headlines directly into your toolbar!Check it out:http://rss.estscen.net/avsim/

Hi Kaltenbrunner,Thank You for this post. Your RSS feeds are working like a charm in both my firefox and google pages.flyking

Guest nickw

Agreed... thanks to both of you for making this happen.Now if I could only convince MS to do the same! (Workin on it) :)EDIT: Just to mention to the second poster. Only the middle feed works from your site.