Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

FSX Missing VOR 2

Guest A4Skyhawk

I think I read somewhere on the AVSim site, and now can't find, some info about a lack of VOR 2 DME indications on what I originally thought was just the CRJ700 but now I see it's also on the Lear and maybe more. I haven't flown every plane yet. I'm guessing the answer's going to be "You can't get there from here", but I have to ask anyway. Is there, or will there be, a way to get that information on to those effected panels besides swinging a cat over your head at midnight during a full moon? I'm not expecting a full set of instruments in the ultralight, but in a Learjet? Please.What's that sound? Hmmmm, sounds like FS9 is begging to be reinstalled.

>I think I read somewhere on the AVSim site, and now can't>find, some info about a lack of VOR 2 DME indications on what>I originally thought was just the CRJ700 but now I see it's>also on the Lear and maybe more. I haven't flown every plane>yet. >>I'm guessing the answer's going to be "You can't get there>from here", but I have to ask anyway. Is there, or will there>be, a way to get that information on to those effected panels>besides swinging a cat over your head at midnight during a>full moon? I'm not expecting a full set of instruments in the>ultralight, but in a Learjet? Please.>>What's that sound? Hmmmm, sounds like FS9 is begging to be>reinstalled.If it's begging to be reinstalled, then by all means reinstall it. (!)Sure you can add a VOR2 to any panel easily, if it exists presently in FSX. I think the Cessna 172 has one.If no VOR2 exists on any panel in FSX, then it will not be so easy. But like I said, I do think one of the Cessnas has a VOR2 if I remember correctly.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest A4Skyhawk

Nah, I'm not reinstalling FS9. This is a quest now. I've brought gauges in where none were before in add-on FS9 A/C so other than being a little time consuming to get them placed right, it's not a big deal. Personally, though, I'd rather have accurate gauges than a cartoon fuel truck crossing a taxiway in front of moving airplane. That's hardly "as real as it gets" but, afterall, it IS just a game.Thanks.

>Nah, I'm not reinstalling FS9. This is a quest now. >>I've brought gauges in where none were before in add-on FS9>A/C so other than being a little time consuming to get them>placed right, it's not a big deal. Well it is a big deal with FSX, because you are limited to bringing in FSX-compatible gauges ONLY. That means any gauge that shipped with FSX basically. Some xml-coded gauges from FS2004 might work though.Gauges are the #1 incompatibility issue between FS2004 and FSX.>Personally, though, I'd>rather have accurate gauges than a cartoon fuel truck crossing>a taxiway in front of moving airplane. That's hardly "as real>as it gets" but, afterall, it IS just a game.>>Thanks.Well, so would I but...remember WE (meaning the kind of people here at AVSIM) are not specifically the people Microsoft added new features for. They were/are trying to bring in Joe Casual Simmer and not us, they already have us.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

>Well it is a big deal with FSX, because you are limited to>bringing in FSX-compatible gauges ONLY. That means any gauge>that shipped with FSX basically. Some xml-coded gauges from>FS2004 might work though.>>Gauges are the #1 incompatibility issue between FS2004 and>FSX.Rhett, the only gauges that won't load at all in FSX are those compiled using the (now depecrated) FS98 header and callback structure.There are quite literally thousands of post-FS98 compiled gauges available to be used in place of the FS98 compiled gauges. It simply takes a bit more effort to make the appropriate substitutions.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>>Well it is a big deal with FSX, because you are limited to>>bringing in FSX-compatible gauges ONLY. That means any>gauge>>that shipped with FSX basically. Some xml-coded gauges from>>FS2004 might work though.>>>>Gauges are the #1 incompatibility issue between FS2004 and>>FSX.>>Rhett, the only gauges that won't load at all in FSX>are those compiled using the (now depecrated) FS98 header and>callback structure.>Ooh, yes, that's what I meant to say Bill. I forgot that post-FS98 header gauges can in fact be .gau's/dll's and not xmls. (??)Since you're here, let me get some things straight in my head:Are all of these truisms:1) FSX will not load gauges with the FS98-style header, period.2) FSX will load newer-style gauges, but it will ask for "is this ok to load" upon first loading of the gauge, and it will then appear in the [Trusted] area of the FSX.CFG.3) FSX will load *all* xml gauges with no complaint whatsoever.Not sure if #3 is true or not. Maybe an xml-based gauge designed for FS2004 *will* get the "is this ok to load" message...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

Guest A4Skyhawk

Although I'm glad to know about the possible FS9 vs FSX gauge issues, it was always my intention to only use FSX gauges on FSX panels. I already have enough headaches at work. No point in creating more for myself at home, right?Thanks for the input though guys. I do appreciate it.A4Skyhawk

>Since you're here, let me get some things straight in my>head:>Are all of these truisms:>1) FSX will not load gauges with the FS98-style header,>period.>2) FSX will load newer-style gauges, but it will ask for "is>this ok to load" upon first loading of the gauge, and it will>then appear in the [Trusted] area of the FSX.CFG.>3) FSX will load *all* xml gauges with no complaint>whatsoever.All three statements are factual, although #2 requires a caveat: if the gauge in question has a "Trusted Certificate," it may - or may not - invoke the acceptance dialog.If the author uses a certificate from certain providers who're already listed in WinXP's list of Trusted Authorities, no dialog will ever appear. Such CA's include VeriSign, Thawte, and a handful of others.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator