Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Flight Schools using MSFS?

Anyone know certain of a flight school using MSFS (2020) for training?  A local school here asked me about MSFS today and I suggested they confer with a flight school that has it in use.  Again training.  I agreed to ask around to find two or three schools they might contact for references.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I have no idea but I do know DOD is pushing big-time for MSFS instead of P3D.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

4 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

DOD = Department of Defense? Sorry, not a native speaker.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

44 minutes ago, pmb said:

DOD = Department of Defense? Sorry, not a native speaker.

Kind regards, Michael

Yes.  But I wonder why DOD apparently favors MSFS over P3D -- for what purpose?

Al

Edited by ark

2 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

If you mean Department of Defence, is there a source for that? 

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

3 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Ryan- that is the best news I've heard about MSFS yet.  The pockets there are certainly deep enough to demand fidelity.

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

4 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Source for this interesting info?

Will either light a fire up LM's 'word not allowed' to retain a major client for P3D or with its loss to MS, cause P3D development to cease. [/hypothesis]
DOD as a customer would mean some significant extra investment into MSFS as a platform, you would think.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

5 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Can you be more specific?

• Like 1

Bert

It also looks like Air Safety Institute have started to use MSFS in their videos:

• Like 2

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

I doubt it for right now, the cyber security risks with a cloud based server would be a horrendous security concern.

If any of the DoDs would use this software, they would have to have their own restricted servers with all the data that isnt connected to the external web. or run it in offline mode. That is why LM is the preference as it has no requirement for external connectivity. Not to mention the sim director plug where you can remotely control all the variables.

just a simple example of how serious the DoD takes this, is the organization i work for has removed 99.9% of landlines and runs all telecommunications through its own restricted network and every single person in the network has their own unique number to reduce cyber security risks. Anything that is plugged into the network has to be approved, a mouse was recalled not long ago as there was some minor components internal that were manufactured in a certain country. 

At the moment all our sims are stand alones even from our own protected network, so no tracking or monitoring can be viewed in a event of a breach.

Edited by jeansy

Matt

NT - AUSTRALIA

I have checked with six airports today, three in Maryland and three in Indiana, and so far none.  Each is satisfied with their current use.  (3) P3D, (2) FSX, and (1) XP.  All six use Garmin GPS training videos, as well as some videos from Sporty's.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

15 minutes ago, jeansy said:

I doubt it for right now, the cyber security risks with a cloud based server would be a horrendous security concern.

If any of the DoDs would use this software, they would have to have their own restricted servers with all the data that isnt connected to the external web. or run it in offline mode. That is why LM is the preference as it has no requirement for external connectivity. Not to mention the sim director plug where you can remotely control all the variables.

just a simple example of how serious the DoD takes this, is the organization i work for has removed 99.9% of landlines and runs all telecommunications through its own restricted network and every single person in the network has their own unique number to reduce cyber security risks. Anything that is plugged into the network has to be approved, a mouse was recalled not long ago as there was some minor components internal that were manufactured in a certain country. 

At the moment all our sims are stand alones even from our own protected network, so no tracking or monitoring can be viewed in a event of a breach.

That isn’t  a problem though.  DoD can have a separate server installed in their own premises (ie. inside the Pentagon) where the data is streamed to their own internal MSFS clients.  Microsoft can set this up for them if they get the contract.

There are no security issues here if Microsoft installs an internal server for DoD.  It’s walled off from the rest of the world.

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the case because MSFS can generate real time terrain and landmarks that match the real world with the streaming of satellite/photogrammetry data. And it covers the entire world.

This is something that MSFS can do over P3D and X-Plane and perhaps it’s something the DoD values.

• Upvote 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

14 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

That isn’t  a problem though.  DoD can have a separate server installed in their own premises (ie. inside the Pentagon) where the data is streamed to their own internal MSFS clients.  Microsoft can set this up for them if they get the contract.

There are no security issues here if Microsoft installs an internal server for DoD.  It’s walled off from the rest of the world.

possible maybe when MSFS is a more robust product, in the current form and limitations and constant updates with some adverse coding its way too early.  a standalone for each physical sim, not any time soon  Its already been discussed in our workplace and dismissed.

However say with LM, contracts have have to supply a airframe, LM is to provide the training software for the life of the product. We do this with all our equipment from small arms to aircraft.

no body has a crystal ball and knows how msfs will look in 5 yrs or what LM will look like, maybe when the next gen of aircraft come out and it can be incorporated into MSFS and there maybe real considerations but not after several months post introduction.

having seen the military package of LM, the normal LM looks very bland and MSFS has a very long way in psychics to catch up. but the way tech is these days, who knows whats possible in time

Edited by jeansy

Matt

NT - AUSTRALIA

48 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Can you be more specific?

No.  Sorry 🙂

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |