Sign in to follow this  
Bigbluss

Not sure why people say that this is just a VFR sim

7 minutes ago, AnkH said:

This user over in the official forums sums up nicely why IFR is rubbish currently: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/live-weather-does-not-match/135263/1421?u=ankh828072

But of course, this is only my opinion...

To be fair, most of his complaints are aimed at the Aerosoft CRJ. The other major issue seems to be the ATC. Sure, it will make you take off and land with adverse wind, but you should always expect ATC to change things about your plan, including departure runway and SID.

Cristi Neagu

Hi all,

This thread has gone on for a very long time and has a great deal of extremely curious theorycrafting in it which seems to presuppose our own development experience and put words in our mouth, which is a shame, in my opinion.

We did not, at all, work around the SDK. In fact, we did quite the opposite. We wholly embraced the new JS/HTML SDK and worked within that framework to get the CJ4 to where it is today. Given enough time, there is nothing at all that isn't available in the SDK right now to prevent the CJ4 from being a 99% exact recreation. I'm talking circuit breaker level, split instruments, AHRS aligning, all the reversionary modes, fly every leg type 99%. There are a couple minor things like radar tilt and the exact blockyness of the terrain display that would not be quite there yet with the sim capabilities, but we're talking a very short list. The same is absolutely true of the Garmin units.

The conspiracy theory that the market for these items is being purposefully cornered is unfounded. I come from an open-source background, and as such, my goal is always making things work and making developers productive. As Jorg has mentioned he has come to realize, and I strongly agree with, having an excellent set of default instruments that aircraft designers can feel free to just use and do all the things everyone wants is absolutely in the sim community's best interest. And if other third parties come up with stuff that blasts our stuff out of the water, that's actually awesome, I don't mind that at all, that means we're doing a great job keeping the SDK moving forward! But my goal is to have a good set of these things that everyone can use. Our goal was the same when we were just a bunch of software devs working in our spare time, and it's the same now: great systems and instruments for all.

We will be doing this using the exact same SDK that everyone else can use, no hidden insiders-only tricks, within the same exact sandboxing limitations that third parties are subjected to. So, for those of you who feel the SDK is not capable of such a thing, I encourage you to keep your eyes peeled. We'll soon enough have some very interesting things to show you.

-Matt

• Like 21
  • Upvote 1

On 5/6/2021 at 2:06 PM, Ricardo41 said:

A lot of developers seem to be soundly asleep at the wheel, hoping that the - choo choo - money train that was FS9/FSX/P3D is gonna start moving again. Not gonna happen any time soon, IMHO.

This doesn’t even make any sense and is completely false...😒

• Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

1 hour ago, Cristi_Neagu said:

To be fair, most of his complaints are aimed at the Aerosoft CRJ. The other major issue seems to be the ATC. Sure, it will make you take off and land with adversec wind, but you should always expect ATC to change things about your plan, including departure runway and SID.

Nope, the FBW constantly CTD.

41 minutes ago, canuk22 said:

Nope, the FBW constantly CTD.

And... that is related to what we were talking about... how, exactly?

• Like 1

Cristi Neagu

Nope, it’s a bing display sim!

Chris Camp

4 hours ago, MattNischan said:

We'll soon enough have some very interesting things to show you.

Can't wait for that! 😁

Have to add that I think much of the criticism of the IFR capabilities of MSFS is largely unfounded. My opinion. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

4 hours ago, MattNischan said:

We'll soon enough have some very interesting things to show you.

-Matt

Have to take issue with this, do you think what you've already done is uninteresting?

WT CJ4 is fantastic and between yourselves and Darkfly the Longitude is actually worth flying.

Refreshing to read your comments on what is possible within the sim and looking forward to what's coming tbh...

G

• Like 2

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

I've had some really nice IFR flights in MSFS lately, thanks in in no small part to the WT mods. The Bonanza with WT G1000 is good fun, and the WT CJ4 is incredible.

Barry Friedman

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Can't wait for that! 😁

Have to add that I think much of the criticism of the IFR capabilities of MSFS is largely unfounded. My opinion. 

IFR is fine....except for RNAV(GPS).  You can fly airways, VORs, NDB's etc just fine.  That's basic IFR.  But for the guys who are used to flying the airliners in XP11 and P3D, the "IFR" procedures are lacking in MSFS.... and for the RNAV(GPS) portion that us GA flyers are used to - same problem.

There is of course the CJ4 which does most of what hard core users would want... the FBW Airbus seems it will be there too pretty soon.

Edited by ryanbatcund
  • Like 3

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I don't understand this talk about money..no developer is getting rich developing for MFS.

43 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

IFR is fine....except for RNAV(GPS)

Agreed. I find that I choose other approaches, which in many ways are more challenging than RNAV. NDB, VOR, DME arc. The NDB rwy 14 approach to LYTV Tivat in the FBW A320 is a good example. Great fun!

Edited by Cpt_Piett
Typo

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

3 hours ago, Gazzareth said:

WT CJ4 is fantastic

Are all the tools they use (SDK, etc) available to all developers?  I still haven't taken the plunge w/ mods for fear of screwing something up but this sound pretty compelling, and seems a harbinger of good things to come from other plane devs, if WT is able to do something that is described as fantastic in MSFS.  All I hear about is how restricted the SDK is....

Edited by Noel
  • Upvote 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 minute ago, Noel said:

Are all the tools they use (SDK, Simconnect, etc) all available to all developers?  I still haven't taken the plunge w/ mods for fear of screwing something up but this sound pretty compelling, and seems a harbinger of good things to come from other plane devs.

Direct from WT/Mat above ::::

We did not, at all, work around the SDK. In fact, we did quite the opposite. We wholly embraced the new JS/HTML SDK and worked within that framework to get the CJ4 to where it is today. Given enough time, there is nothing at all that isn't available in the SDK right now to prevent the CJ4 from being a 99% exact recreation. I'm talking circuit breaker level, split instruments, AHRS aligning, all the reversionary modes, fly every leg type 99%. There are a couple minor things like radar tilt and the exact blockyness of the terrain display that would not be quite there yet with the sim capabilities, but we're talking a very short list. The same is absolutely true of the Garmin units.

I was the same about mods, but glad I decided to try them. Much easier to add/remove than P3D !!

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron