Sign in to follow this  
TuFun

We Need 6 Times More Minerals?

Look who does the bulk of the process!

To further complicate things, the production of minerals like lithium, cobalt, and rare earths is highly concentrated. Just three countries account for more than 75% of all those mined today. Currently, 70% of cobalt comes from the Democratic Republic of Congo, and 60% of rare earth minerals come from China. The mineral-processing industry is even more concentrated than that, with China refining 90% of rare earth elements.

Green Energy

Yep. No suprise there's a renewed interest in space by both governments and the private space companies.

The Moon and asteroids are jam packed with all manner of minerals. Including Helium 3 which is regarded as the ideal nuclear fusion fuel.

But I am concerned that if we bring more materials to Earth that the Earth will become so heavy that it will tip over and capsize. 😁 *

* In case you don't get the humor:  https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tipping-point/

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

But that's not the problem at all. The real problem is that the earth will become so heavy that the additional weight will slow the orbital velocity thereby lengthening the time period we define as a year. And if it gets heavy enough that will cause all kinds of things to occur. We may even get additional days in the calendar year. Consider these problems which then arise: Will the additional days be school days or holidays? Do monthly-paid employees get a raise in pay for working additional days? To which month(s) are the additional days to be added? Will we still have leap years? Is a week still defined as seven days? Will the period of rotation also be affected? Is a day still 24 hours long? If the day gets longer where do we add the hours/minutes? And that's not to mention the problems which could arise from the disruption in the gravitational relationship to our moon as it gets lighter while the earth gets heavier. Will the rotational and orbital velocities of Mars and the moon also change? Etc, etc, etc..............

I think we need to leave all the stuff on Mars and the moon right where it is.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Yes, my fellow South African Elon Musk has a screw loose (I think). I wonder if he would take the trip to Mars to certify his technology (which is probably not designed by him in the 1st place?) I guess not....adverts out soon!😁

Edited by Peter Webber
  • Like 1

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

11 hours ago, W2DR said:

If the day gets longer where do we add the hours/minutes?

I propose that we divide the "extra days" in half, and then add each half to new months named "Compensate North" and "Compensate South. Each of those to be inserted during the Summer in the north hemisphere and the other during the Summer in the southern hemisphere, thus making "summer vacation" longer for everyone! Win-win! :loading: :laugh:

• Like 4

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

On 5/6/2021 at 3:05 AM, stans said:

But I am concerned that if we bring more materials to Earth that the Earth will become so heavy that it will tip over and capsize. 😁 *

* In case you don't get the humor:  https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tipping-point/

LOL.

Captain to First Officer: " I didn't say it was your fault I am just blaming you "