Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
piperarrow41

FPS Drop Over Time

Recommended Posts

I've been having this problem and posted about it here and elsewhere, including the official forum:  

No one seems to have identified what it is aside from poor optimization of the sim itself. ☹️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems to happen at just about every airport I fly into.  If I restart the sim at the same airport FPS are back to normal.  Its frustrating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's probably some non-LOD'd vegetation combining with the buildings. I'm sort of able to reproduce the issue, not exactly, but sort of. If you turn the plane (or as he says change the approach), it changes. The reason it changes is because only the objects in the viewport are rendered in finality as drawcalls, so it's something with the # of drawcalls which is likely geometry or mesh related to a bad object in the SIM, or possibly the object has bad geometry and every time you hit that object in the cache enough it builds up the problem, it's not being flushed out correctly (so it's like stacking garbage). Otherwise, it might be a thread locking asynch issue combining or alone, hence the threads aren't in proper synch and something is waiting on something to update.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happened Last night . very short hop from LSZH-EDDL ..Framerates are sky high (45-50) at the start and by the time im on final im looking at 25fps and it doesn't go back up.


AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800xt Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Viotek 3440x1440p Freesync / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't seem to be related to how long the flight is, it seems random over certain areas that are fine some days, and not on other days.  I just TO out KPDX and while CPU load never exceeded 80% on the main thread, GPU load 82%, still had weird frame drops and stutters for a few minutes.


Noel

System:  9900K@5.0Ghz@1.21v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVme 2Tb x 2, RTX 2070 Super FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, Saitek Yoke, TQ & Cessna Trim Wheel, UNLIMITED frames vSync to 30Hz in P3D 4.5 & MSFS.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Noel said:

It doesn't seem to be related to how long the flight is, it seems random over certain areas that are fine some days, and not on other days.  I just TO out KPDX and while CPU load never exceeded 80% on the main thread, GPU load 82%, still had weird frame drops and stutters for a few minutes.

Interesting, it seems to occur more around where heavy vegetation areas meet buildings, but maybe there are 2 separate issues here. However, I can reproduce the effect in dev mode with too many bushes and grass on the ground, but it doesn't happen every flight or every angle. It clears up on its own, so it may in fact be a cache state related issue where something isn't cleaning up at times. 

Others should also keep in mind that the LONGER you fly the more likely you are to encounter a random event by default, so in a sense every event has some time related component to it, that's why it's hard to declare if something is only related to time or not, but if it happens very early in the flight sometimes, then maybe not.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At Monday I fly from Graz to Innsbruck and I got this too, that my frames goes down.

Also my Memory goes up to 30 GB (of 32 GB) and I got stutters too.

Yesterday was everything fine. Strange things happen.🤔

  • Like 1

Stephan from Germany

 

My System

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Interesting, it seems to occur more around where heavy vegetation areas meet buildings, but maybe there are 2 separate issues here. However, I can reproduce the effect in dev mode with too many bushes and grass on the ground, but it doesn't happen every flight or every angle. It clears up on its own, so it may in fact be a cache state related issue where something isn't cleaning up at times. 

Others should also keep in mind that the LONGER you fly the more likely you are to encounter a random event by default, so in a sense every event has some time related component to it, that's why it's hard to declare if something is only related to time or not, but if it happens very early in the flight sometimes, then maybe not.

And worth a look when it happens, sometimes, at server latency.  I took off 15m ago from Kuwait Intl OTW to Dubai Intl in the Citation L and all of a sudden major FPS drops in the high teens for several minutes, after which west coast server latency went from about 26ms where it normally is to 101ms.  I changed to east coast at 82ms and FPS returned to 30.  Shortly thereafter I looked again and west coast back to 27ms, so left it on Automatic.  During the big drops CPU load on the main thread was 28%, GPU 66% or so.


Noel

System:  9900K@5.0Ghz@1.21v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVme 2Tb x 2, RTX 2070 Super FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, Saitek Yoke, TQ & Cessna Trim Wheel, UNLIMITED frames vSync to 30Hz in P3D 4.5 & MSFS.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Noel said:

And worth a look when it happens, sometimes, at server latency.  I took off 15m ago from Kuwait Intl OTW to Dubai Intl in the Citation L and all of a sudden major FPS drops in the high teens for several minutes, after which west coast server latency went from about 26ms where it normally is to 101ms.  I changed to east coast at 82ms and FPS returned to 30.  Shortly thereafter I looked again and west coast back to 27ms, so left it on Automatic.  During the big drops CPU load on the main thread was 28%, GPU 66% or so.

That's probably another issue. FPS drop over time/on approach is usually about 10-15 FPS, in my experience and based on experience of some others. As I already mentioned, on the official forums somebody just sat on the apron for a longer period of time and the FPS dropped. In my experience, if I reload the sim on the same approach I already did I always get about 10-15 FPS more.

I can't imagine this is news to Asobo. I'm just afraid this is rooted in the code, and since they don't even acknowledge the issue, there's almost no chance this will get solved any time soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the problem is the gpu just goes dormant after a while and starts performing at 35% or less

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, devgrp said:

the problem is the gpu just goes dormant after a while and starts performing at 35% or less

Which indicates a threading or memory clean up issue usually, but hard to say for sure.

I guess I could look at my GPU usage when I can trigger the problem, and yes my FPS does drop to 15-20 only when I face the vegetation. When I turn the other way, the problem goes away. Also, the problem usually auto-resolves if I move around long enough or wait it out.

 

Edited by Alpine Scenery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

That's probably another issue. FPS drop over time/on approach is usually about 10-15 FPS, in my experience and based on experience of some others. As I already mentioned, on the official forums somebody just sat on the apron for a longer period of time and the FPS dropped. In my experience, if I reload the sim on the same approach I already did I always get about 10-15 FPS more.

I can't imagine this is news to Asobo. I'm just afraid this is rooted in the code, and since they don't even acknowledge the issue, there's almost no chance this will get solved any time soon.

How long are you talking about on this Tomaz?  I think my longest flights are only about 3-3.5h and so far I don't think this is happening to me, but perhaps I confused this with random drops.  Some do seem less random and more region specific, and relatively small regions at that.  


Noel

System:  9900K@5.0Ghz@1.21v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVme 2Tb x 2, RTX 2070 Super FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, Saitek Yoke, TQ & Cessna Trim Wheel, UNLIMITED frames vSync to 30Hz in P3D 4.5 & MSFS.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Which indicates a threading or memory clean up issue usually, but hard to say for sure.

I guess I could look at my GPU usage when I can trigger the problem, and yes my FPS does drop to 15-20 only when I face the vegetation. When I turn the other way, the problem goes away. Also, the problem usually auto-resolves if I move around long enough or wait it out.

 

Have you noticed any improvement w/ downgrading the vegetation sliders?

I'm not even clear on what the LOD sliders do to be honest.  I can dial them back to 120 from my default 200, and hardly can tell.  1440p screen.  68y/o eyes w/ good near vision however.


Noel

System:  9900K@5.0Ghz@1.21v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVme 2Tb x 2, RTX 2070 Super FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, Saitek Yoke, TQ & Cessna Trim Wheel, UNLIMITED frames vSync to 30Hz in P3D 4.5 & MSFS.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just landed at dusk in Dubai and, since there are only six palm trees (:laugh:) and no other vegetation had absolutely no hitches all the way to touchdown, though my 8GB of VRAM was maxed.  I had one or two brief stutters from the GPU being near maxed and a brief 100% on the CPU main.  You may well be on to something!  If it's consistent among users it's worth a zendesk ticket perhaps.


Noel

System:  9900K@5.0Ghz@1.21v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVme 2Tb x 2, RTX 2070 Super FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, Saitek Yoke, TQ & Cessna Trim Wheel, UNLIMITED frames vSync to 30Hz in P3D 4.5 & MSFS.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    48%
    $12,200.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...