Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

May 6th, 2021 - Development Update

MAY 6TH, 2021 DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

Posted by: Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

ScenicAtol3300.jpeg

“Somewhere over the Amazon” – Screenshot by ScenicAtol3300

Hello all! Based on the results of our last flight, we would like to introduce a new flighting opportunity available for select individuals to help us test Sim Update 4 starting on May 12, 2021.

Our goals:

1. We would like simmers who are very experienced with our sim to help us identify regressions from our work on the update
  2. We would also like knowledgeable simmers to help us test the specific feature work we have done for this update. These are distinguished from general feature requests that are not targeted for this release.

This testing opportunity will target areas of the sim in performance, stability, ATC syntax accuracy, Aircraft (Engine Performance, Roll Stability, Average Yaw Control, and Aerodynamics).

In order to achieve these goals, we are growing a list of select users from diverse backgrounds and setups to help in this process. These individuals include active forum users, 3rd party developers, subject matter experts, and more. If you are on this evolving list we will be reaching out to you today to invite you to this opportunity.

In addition, 300 spots will also be open on a first-come, first-serve basis for those self-proclaimed experts in GA who would like to help provide feedback. Sign ups are limited to Windows Store sim users only (sorry, Steam!) this time around as you will be using the Xbox Insider Hub to register.

Registration will open Monday, May 10th at 8 am PDT, and close once we meet our max amount of users needed.

Thank you again for your help! We value your input and are excited for this new round of testing. More details on how to participate and the FAQ can be found here.

– The MSFS team

Smooth-Development-Banner-GIF.gif

DEVELOPMENT ROADMAP

Click here for the web-friendly version.

FEEDBACK SNAPSHOT

Click here for the web-friendly version.

a12345.jpgb876uyt.jpgcth3q4y.jpgd8rsjm4.jpgegh456.jpg

KEY:

SU = Sim Update (3, 4, etc.)

WU = World Update

ASAP = As Soon as Possible

TBD = To Be Determined

Several Releases = Fixes will come over a series of updates

Ongoing Fixes = An item we will continually be working on

Planned = Scheduled to be worked on

Under Investigation = The team is currently looking into the issue

Not Planned = We will likely not work on this

Started = Work as started on this item

THIRD PARTY UPDATE

• As of 05/01, we have now approved 166 (+7) third parties in the in-sim marketplace and so far 84 (+3) of them have released 356 products (+22).
  • Next Generation Simulations announced an exciting lineup of planes for the next 18 months, including several Embraer jets, Fokker, and Saab aircraft!
  • In total, 895 products (+25) have already been released in 3rd party stores and the in-sim marketplace. Beyond that, another 341 products (+24) from 3rd party developers are in production (211 announced, 130 unannounced). In total, over 1,236 3rd party products (+49) are either released or are in development.
  • Airports:
    • 770 airports (+21) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 563 airports (+13) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 295 airports (+17) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
      • 99 airports (+5) beyond the released airports have been announced.
      • 108 airports (+3) are not announced, but the dev let us know that an airport is in production.
  • Aircraft:
    • 145 aircraft (+10) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 34 aircraft (+0) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 23 aircraft (-1) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
      • 89 aircraft (+10) beyond the released aircraft have been announced.
      • 22 aircraft (+0) are not announced, but the dev let us know that an aircraft is in production.
  • Scenery:
    • 284 sceneries (+8) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 268 sceneries (+9) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 23 sceneries (+1) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
      • 16 sceneries (-1) beyond the released scenery have been announced.
  • Mission Packs:
    • 30 mission packs (+3) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 30 mission packs (+3) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 3 mission packs (+0) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
      • 0 mission packs (+0) beyond the released missions have been announced.

SDK UPDATE

• Documentation
    • We made major changes to the Project Editor pages, specifically Marketplace Data and Exporting.
    • We also added Livery samples to the Table of Contents.
    • We updated the Xbox page to explain how to build a package.
    • We added new tutorials for creating liveries.
  • Dev Mode:
    • We finalized the first version of the Visual Effects Editor, which will be available on a beta version in the next release. Known issues are listed in the documentation and you can find a video tutorial which will help you get started and enable you to create your own visual effects.
    • We made some changes to the Release Note section:  added new icons, sub-labels and colors when the active release note is selected.
    • We fixed aircraft filters disappearing when building an aircraft package.
    • In the Scenery Editor, we fixed DisplayName for Rectangles so that they are actually saved and loaded properly.
    • We fixed a bug in the legacy .air file parsing process that prevented proper conversion to the new .cfg-based system.

MARKETPLACE

Today there are 8 new products and 9 updated products in the Marketplace.

8 NEW PRODUCTS

image001-1.png

image002-1.png

image017.png

image003.png

image004.png

image018.png

image005.png

image006.png

9 UPDATED PRODUCTS

image007.png

image008.png

image009.png

image010.png

image011.png

image012.png

image013.png

image014.png

image015.png

banner-1.svg

TWITCH UPDATE

Tomorrow, join us for Community Fly-in Friday! We will be airstrip hopping at the Sossusvlei Namib Desert. All skill levels welcome. More details can be found here.

COMMUNITY VIDEO

A time lapse of an approach and landing at Munich airport (EDDM) after a flight from Lagos in a A321.

SCREENSHOT CHALLENGE

This past week we challenged you to take a screenshot of “Peace and Quiet”. The winner is featured above. Below are our 10 runner up choices! This week’s Screenshot Challenge: My House

Last challenge’s Finalists:

c0mmanderkiller.jpeg

Screenshot by c0mmanderkiller

Breezewind77.jpeg

“Secret spot in South America” – Screenshot by Breezewind77

Jannik207.jpeg

“Cheops Pyramid” – Screenshot by Jannik207

ArcanePython931.jpeg

“Best kept secret of the taildragger fans” – Screenshot by ArcanePython931

SlidHydra647449-scaled.jpeg

“Skardu, Gilgit province, Pakistan” – Screenshot by SlidHydra647449

MAGICR121-scaled.jpeg

“Greater Caucasus Mountains” – Screenshot by MAGICR121

SnagglePss68.jpeg

“Robinson Crusoe Island” – Screenshot by SnagglePss68

jskoker.jpeg

“Burning Man” – Screenshot by jskoker

Perretoso-scaled.jpeg

“Wakhan Corridor” – Screenshot by Perretoso

Renoi71.png

Screenshot by Renoi71

Steeler2340.jpeg

“Deadvlei” – Screenshot by Steeler2340

NEXT DEVELOPMENT UPDATE BLOG – 5.13

Sincerely,

Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

Edited by ChaoticBeauty
  • Like 10

Thuper.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hopefully limiting beta testers this way to store version will help vet them to some degree...

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

Nice to see that excessive icing is now listed as fixed instead of just an on/off toggle.

• Like 5

Gary

i9-13900K, Asus RTX 4080, Asus Z790 Plus Wi-Fi, 32 GB Ram, Seasonic GX-1000W, LG C1 48” OLED 4K monitor, Quest 3 VR

3 minutes ago, Gilandred said:

Nice to see that excessive icing is now listed as fixed instead of just an on/off toggle.

Definitely. Visually they’ve done a good job, it just needs toning down somewhat!

Nice to see some selectiveness with beta testers too. After the much smoother performance from yesterday’s patch, dare I let my faith be restored...?

• Like 3

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I assume this is a trial run for their beta testing and they are continually refining their beta testing process.  However, I think they need more than 300 beta testers.  My guess is, the 300 beta testers in the last patch didn’t make much noise about the livery multiplayer bug, even if a few of them reported the bug, Or perhaps they didn’t catch the bug at all. In any case, more beta testers and a wider net of beta testers will help to catch bugs for patches.  An “opt in” beta test feature allowing any player to opt in the beta test is the optimal solution.

Edit: It seems like Jane responded in the MSFS forums and the 300 testers are in addition to a pre-selected group of testers.  That's good news because it means there will be more than 300 testers.  That's headed in the right direction.  An "opt in" beta test is still better though but at least the beta testing group this time is an improvement over last time.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

5 hours ago, Gilandred said:

Well, that might be listed as fixed because the on/off toggle switch has been implemented and is ready for the next update…..

• Upvote 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

"Asobo don't listen to us" they say, from what I am seeing in regards to beta testers, they are excatly implementing what the community has asked for 😀

• Upvote 3

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

A step forward in beta testing but I’m not overly convinced they’re moving fast enough, again a limited number with a hand picked few extra but only two weeks before SU4 release (not long enough IMO) and no Steam users.

I find it incredible they don’t have a specific Beta Branch that they can open up to select individuals who wish to help to maximise feedback, this works so very well for so many other games/Sims, someone hasn’t done their homework on this I feel.

Still as least it’s something, what the beta testers need to focus on are things that are working in SU3 but broken in SU4Beta and making sure the Update is a progression not a regression as we’ve seen too many times in the past.

Edited by MarcG
  • Like 2

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

40 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

"Asobo don't listen to us" they say, from what I am seeing in regards to beta testers, they are excatly implementing what the community has asked for 😀

Actually, what we want is an "opt in" beta testing feature, that allows the entire player base to opt in to beta testing or not.  A beta testing branch was planned for update #9 last year titled "Add a Beta Version Player Can Enable Before Releasing a Patch" in the feedback snapshot below:

685b62de4adc9e1320099719852a0c5e2a9de43c

"Add a beta version a player can enable" clearly implies an "opt in" option for every player in MSFS.

I give Asobo credit for having a beta testing team and for this patch, expanding the beta testing team to beyond 300 testers.  That is an improvement for sure.  But it's not the "holy grail" of an "opt in" beta testing feature for the entire player base.

I guess we will see if the beta testers catch enough bugs for this upcoming patch.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

This is a more of a balancing act of beta testers vs a flood of warranted and unwarranted bug reports.  However, it certainly is encouraging to see a wider swath of beta testing program.   Cautiously optimistic would seem to fit, although I have reservations that any bug reports that happen is no where near enough time to report it and then find a solution and implement it into the upcoming update.  Sometimes a bug doesnt manifest itself for a week or two and to prove that its all encompassing rather than just unique individual setups.  

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

Actually, what we want is an "opt in" beta testing feature, that allows the entire player base to opt in to beta testing or not.  A beta testing branch was planned for update #9 last year titled "Add a Beta Version Player Can Enable Before Releasing a Patch" in the feedback snapshot below:

It will come eventually, they have already said, it is more question of infrastructure as they mentioned in dev Q&A but at least now IMHO, it is a good step forward.

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

Actually, what we want is an "opt in" beta testing feature, that allows the entire player base to opt in to beta testing or not.

I think it's a better idea to have some sort of selection on the beta users. Otherwise this will just be total madness again. Everyone wanting something different and in the end, nothing gets done properly.

• Upvote 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

27 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

It will come eventually, they have already said, it is more question of infrastructure as they mentioned in dev Q&A but at least now IMHO, it is a good step forward.

We need to keep pushing Asobo though, don't let them off the hook.  Why do I say this?

Asobo implied they would add beta testing last fall.  They did do beta testing with the Virtual Reality (VR) patch. But after the VR patch, they then seemed to scrap beta testing for a few patches in Q1 of this year.  The community grew upset with the bugs in the Q1 patches of this year, and we asked Asobo why didn't they do beta testing for those patches.  Asobo finally relented and did the 300 person beta test for last patch.  I was utterly confused as to why Asobo kind of stopped beta testing after the VR patch.

The morale of the story is, we need to keep this pressure on Asobo.  Don't let them off the hook.  And keep pressing for an "opt in" beta test for the entire player base.  Otherwise, I fear Asobo may slip back to their past habits and then decide beta testing isn't needed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2