Sign in to follow this  
andy1252

The ultimate STOL challenge?

Ok, so, I've been playing around at the China Zun in Beijing, and then I remembered seeing a video some time back of someone landing one of the Cubs on the Statue of Liberty island in a headwind, pretty much as if it had been a Harrier. And it sparked a thought of pure idiocy.

So, here I am in the Carbon Gravel, having set off from ZBNY, wearing my best Jack Nicholson grin, heading for the China Zun.

Well, I figure if the worst comes to the worst, it's only pixels, right?

The tricky bit (hah!) will be that the actual hard surface is elevated a good few feet off the visual surface of the helipad, as I discovered on my previous visits in the H135 and Bell 47. But it still seems like it ought to be possible, that roof looks maybe 100 feet wide and coming in slow enough with the maximum flaps might well work.

My usual thing, do the flight while recording it, and then use the playback to review it and take screenshots. Som here we go  . . .

3k66NJO.jpg

xM2tqmt.jpg

z6P2o4N.jpg

3DBCEhl.jpg

COXn5qs.jpg

PXeZpkC.jpg

peN9zjb.jpg

Jsjavyl.jpg

And there we have it. This is actually fully down (remember the surface is raised)
VAXD06x.jpg

I guess the surface is out by between 3 - 6 feet.
A2IdAL3.jpg

Ok, full disclosure time. I actually misjudged the height of the landing surface and hit down too early - going nose down. The final two shots above come courtesy of slew mode. All real up till that point but the real ending was as below
yOIj0uw.jpg

But I may well try again. As far as the old saw about "is it a game or a simulator?" goes, my feeling is - who cares, when you can have this much fun!

cheers,

Andy

• Like 5

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Cool stuff, Andy and there is no such thing as too much fun 😃

• Like 1

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Ain't it fun when things don't work out the way you intended. 😆

Practice makes perfect Andy.

• Like 1

HP Omen Obelisk Gaming Computer, Intel Core i7-9700, Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 System Memory 4.7GHz 8 cores, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super Graphics with 8GB GDDR6 memory, PSU 750 watts, 1TB hard drive, Samsung T7 2TB SSD, 512 GB SSD, WD 5TB HDD,  Logitech HOTAS X52 Pro Joystick, AOC 27" monitor,

On 5/9/2021 at 5:40 PM, admbar said:

Ain't it fun when things don't work out the way you intended. 😆

Practice makes perfect Andy.

So far, it's only made 'less dangerous', but I live in hope <grin>

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.