Sign in to follow this  
Gary1124

Is Live Mandatory To Buy Or Use The Sim?

For reasons not my fault my former xbox Live account is frozen. I would really love to be able to use this sim. Is there no way at all I can buy or use MSFS without a live account? I have no interest at all in multiplayer. Just to fly on my own with AI or Vatsim if it is ever included in Vatsim network.

On Steam there is a box which says xbox Live required.

On the MS site there is a link to join Live followed by Or and a download link.  Does that mean I can buy it but when I load it I could only fly offline without sign into Live or is Live necessary to even load the sim?

I won't waste $60 on a sim I can't use.

Thanks

17 minutes ago, Gary1124 said:

For reasons not my fault my former xbox Live account is frozen. I would really love to be able to use this sim. Is there no way at all I can buy or use MSFS without a live account? I have no interest at all in multiplayer. Just to fly on my own with AI or Vatsim if it is ever included in Vatsim network.

On Steam there is a box which says xbox Live required.

On the MS site there is a link to join Live followed by Or and a download link.  Does that mean I can buy it but when I load it I could only fly offline without sign into Live or is Live necessary to even load the sim?

I won't waste $60 on a sim I can't use.

Thanks

you can buy on steam but you need a xbox live account in good standing to use the game. it's mandatory.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

5 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

you can buy on steam but you need a xbox live account in good standing to use the game. it's mandatory.

WOW! I thought all you had to do was buy the sim on Steam and you could play it.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Just now, DJJose said:

WOW! I thought all you had to do was buy the sim on Steam and you could play it.

nope. I mean the OP can create an new xbox live account. they are free. 

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

The solution for the OP if they cannot get their current live account working, is create a new Xbox live account just for the sim.

Much like if you want a Quest 2 and absolutely refuse to have a personal Facebook account, you can create a dummy one with random personal details and a dummy email just for the Quest 2.

• Like 1

My account was perma banned because my nephew, an army buddy of his, and I used to play WoT xbox as a three man platoon. We did really good as three vets working together can do in shooters and apparently we were accused of cheating by some butt hurt young people. Live enforcement doesn't follow rules of jurisprudence. They just act. Perhaps if I could get a friend to let me borrow an email account. That was four years ago. I don't think my pc would set their flags. My xbox 360 is long disconnected.

I think I will just go over to Prepar3d and X-plane 11. Both of those sims are still under active developement. MSFS 2020 will definatley set a visual bar to for LM and Laminar to get over in future releases. I think it is within the realm of possibility that some publisher will find a way to code graphics using Google earth the way MS does with Bing. We will see what happens several years from now when the gamers get bored with MSFS and move on. Then it will just be serious aviation enthusiasts, students, and pilots left.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DJJose said:

Naw, the market place...the patches...don't forget that's all a part of the game and requires a Live account.

Perma banned. My nephew, his army buddy, and I were a little too good as a platoon in World of Tanks xbox. Kids accused us of cheating, using hacks etc. Nothing of the sort. Just communication and tactics. Perma banned four year now. Until 12/31/2999. Less than a thousand years to go.

On 5/8/2021 at 11:00 AM, Gary1124 said:

My nephew, his army buddy, and I were a little too good as a platoon in World of Tanks xbox. Kids accused us of cheating, using hacks etc. Nothing of the sort. Just communication and tactics.

I can well believe it.  I was a real life tanker in the early 70's.  I suggest Steel Beasts.  Disclaimer:  you may find my name in the credits.  Try the artillery tutorial. 😄 

As for an update to FSX:SE, I'd suggest P3Dv4 for you.  Others will disagree, but I've used FSX, P3Dv2 and v4 and MSFS and except for the scenery in MSFS, I prefer P3Dv4.  Too bad it's not discounted for being an older version.

Benefits of P3Dv4 over FSX:  autogen that can go almost to the horizon and no more Out of Memory errors.  A good avatar mode for walking around your aircraft or scenery.  Active Sky for weather, and Active Sky Cloud Art for clouds that look like what you see outside when you look up.  

Best of luck.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

On 5/8/2021 at 8:20 AM, Gary1124 said:

I think I will just go over to Prepar3d and X-plane 11. Both of those sims are still under active developement. MSFS 2020 will definatley set a visual bar to for LM and Laminar to get over in future releases. I think it is within the realm of possibility that some publisher will find a way to code graphics using Google earth the way MS does with Bing. We will see what happens several years from now when the gamers get bored with MSFS and move on. Then it will just be serious aviation enthusiasts, students, and pilots left.

Not going to happen. Pre-MSFS sims are stuck with non-real (computer-drawn) scenery. Bored with MSFS? I don't think so.

On 5/13/2021 at 12:10 PM, cobalt said:

Not going to happen. Pre-MSFS sims are stuck with non-real (computer-drawn) scenery. Bored with MSFS? I don't think so.

Not necessarily. Landsat imagery is free courtesy of Uncle Sam. I have no doubt that Laminar or LM would be able to use that data to code scenery the same way Asobo does with Bing. Perhaps not live streamed but it could be static done with bi-annual or annual updates. Also, Landsat likely covers areas that Bing might be spotty on. DoD uses it among more classified sources of course.

If anyone could do it LM could. Afterall, they have built some of those satellites. They build Stealth planes for Heavens sake.

3 hours ago, Gary1124 said:

Not necessarily. Landsat imagery is free courtesy of Uncle Sam. I have no doubt that Laminar or LM would be able to use that data to code scenery the same way Asobo does with Bing. Perhaps not live streamed but it could be static done with bi-annual or annual updates. Also, Landsat likely covers areas that Bing might be spotty on. DoD uses it among more classified sources of course.

If anyone could do it LM could. Afterall, they have built some of those satellites. They build Stealth planes for Heavens sake.

you forget some things, distribution,. ms/asobo has that all in place.  transfer of that much data is going to cost.

i really doubt lm is going to do that , nor xplane.

its easy to create  a new account,. so i dont really see any issue.

• Like 1