Sign in to follow this  
Matt Sdeel

Newbie question about the altimeter

Prior to take-off should I adjust the altimeter so that it is always set to 0?

Or, should I adjust it according to the barometer readings, but if I do, how do I remember the actual altitude during landing?

Thank you.

Not as real as it gets, but you can simply push the B key occasionally to set the altimeter to the correct setting.  If you are using ATC, they should give you a reading up and until you reach 18,000 feet where the barometer is a constant 29.92 inches of mercury.

Now if you were speaking of a Radalt (Radar altimeter) that would be set to zero before takeoff.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

36 minutes ago, Matt Sdeel said:

Prior to take-off should I adjust the altimeter so that it is always set to 0?

Or, should I adjust it according to the barometer readings, but if I do, how do I remember the actual altitude during landing?

Thank you.

That is what charts are for!

Yes, you should set the altimeter to runway elevation before takeoff.

Some aircraft also have a Radio Altimeter which displays AGL (Altitude above Ground Level).  Edit: see Charlie's post above..

But otherwise, a pencil and paper sure come in handy, better than "remembering"! 🙂

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

Bert, is that really you hiding under that cap?? 🤔

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

5 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Bert, is that really you hiding under that cap?? 🤔

Only way to hide my thinning, grey hair!

😄

• Like 1

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Only way to hide my thinning, grey hair!

😄

Wish I had a full head of thinning grey hair!  I just tell the barber "Give me a horseshoe haircut! " 😃

Charlie Aron

3 hours ago, charliearon said:

Now if you were speaking of a Radalt (Radar altimeter) that would be set to zero before takeoff.

I've been reading up on the tutorial lessons. On landing, the tutorial say that we should flare the plane about 15 feet before the wheels touch down. On  a regular altimeter, if during take-off the barometer is 30.03 or 10 feet in the runaway, then when I land on the same runaway later,  should I flare when the altimeter is at 25 feet ?

When current altimeter is not available from ATC or ATIS you can set it to the field elevation and that will be your current altimeter setting before take off

Edited by avistudent
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, avistudent said:

When current altimeter is not available from ATC or ATIS you can set it to the field elevation and that will be your current altimeter setting before take off

How would a real pilot land (crash land) on a piece of land with no elevation info in a plane that does not have a 'radar altimeter' (I take it most planes do not have 'radar altimeters').

For example, on the airport L06, which is below sea level, and the pilot doesn't know that it is below sea level?

10 minutes ago, Matt Sdeel said:

How would a real pilot land (crash land) on a piece of land with no elevation info in a plane that does not have a 'radar altimeter' (I take it most planes do not have 'radar altimeters').

For example, on the airport L06, which is below sea level, and the pilot doesn't know that it is below sea level?

First you have charts that tell you what to expect, and then you have eyes that tell you what is actually there.  In addition, runways often have visual aids,  like PAPI lights to guide you down a pre-established glidepath.

If you are taking flying lessons, your instructor will teach you to always look for possible landing spots as you fly..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

2 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

First you have charts that tell you what to expect, and then you have eyes that tell you what is actually there.  In addition, runways often have visual aids,  like PAPI lights to guide you down a pre-established glidepath.

If you are taking flying lessons, your instructor will teach you to always look for possible landing spots as you fly..

I'm taking the lessons in the flight sim tutorial.  And I was referring to emergency landings where there is no info. Is there like a rule of thumb that pilots use to land in an emergency on 'uncharted' or small private airports with no elevation info?

Going back to an earlier question: on landing, the tutorial say that we should flare the plane about 15 feet before the wheels touch down. On  a regular altimeter, if during take-off the barometer is 30.03 or 10 feet in the runaway, then when I land on the same runaway later,  should I flare when the altimeter is at 25 feet ?

1 minute ago, Matt Sdeel said:

On  a regular altimeter, if during take-off the barometer is 30.03 or 10 feet in the runaway, then when I land on the same runaway later,  should I flare when the altimeter is at 25 feet ?

No, you use visual cues to determine when it is time to flare... the altimeter is of no use.

• Like 1

Bert

2 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

No, you use visual cues to determine when it is time to flare... the altimeter is of no use.

So in the above question I flare at 25 feet?

Edited by Matt Sdeel

2 minutes ago, Matt Sdeel said:

So in the above question I flare at 25 feet?

No, you flare when you think you are 15 feet above the runway... do not even look at the altimeter at this stage.

• Upvote 1

Bert

1 minute ago, Bert Pieke said:

No, you flare when you think you are 15 feet above the runway... do not even look at the altimeter at this stage.

That helps. I guess that where flight experience in a specific plane comes in.

Just for kicks, I was trying to land on L06 which has few if any visual cues and is 200 feet below sea level. Thanks.