Sign in to follow this  

WHAT DOES "YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO VIEW THE REQUESTED RESOURCE" MEAN, WHEN I TRY TRY TO POST A TOPIC ?

Quit shouting , one of the Mods will help you .

• Like 1

Means you are not permitted to view the requested resource!  That was easy!  Now the question being....What were t\you trying to view?  It may no longer be available.  Possibly removed by the OP or ADMIN.

Seems as though you were able to post this Topic with your question.

Try logging out and then logging back in to your  AVSIM account.

This question seems to be prevalent on a Google search so my guess is a lot of forums have this problem.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

26 minutes ago, johnbow72 said:

Firstly, I mean absolutely NO disrespect with this response.

Why is this considered shouting? I cannot hear a thing. LOL  Where is it stated, anywhere, that using capitals is abusive and to be avoided? Is it, in fact, just widely accepted as fact or an absolute and verified thing.

I have used caps in the past, but only as a stressed word/s and certainly have never considered it shouting or abusive.  Generally, I take the tone of the subject as a guide, and from the OPs post, I do get the feeling that he is probably a little upset at not being able to respond to a particular post. Further, I do feel that he may have been able to phrase it in a better way. Capitals are unnecessary in this case, but is it shouting?

Again, this is a genuine query and I am not winding anybody up.  Maybe a link to a directive or something to relieve my ignorance please.

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

@himmelhorse  this is from a simple Google search about using all CAPS in either an email or forum post:

Overusing Capitals is Rude

But in email etiquette, online chats and/or forum posts, writing in capitals is the online equivalent of shouting. It's rude, so best not to do it unless you really do want to shout at someone.

• Like 5

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Posting in all caps has been considered rude and "shouting" since the very beginning of online communication, in USENET and the dialup BBS systems before the Internet, for example on FidoNet in the 80's.

Before online communication, all caps was fairly common.  COBOL and FORTRAN for example were typically all caps.  Teletype, if I remember correctly, was all caps.

The Unix operating system was common during the early USENET days, and they tended to use lower case in their command lines.  This may have had an effect on USENET etiquette. 

Hook

• Like 3

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

35 minutes ago, charliearon said:

@himmelhorse  this is from a simple Google search about using all CAPS in either an email or forum post:

Overusing Capitals is Rude

But in email etiquette, online chats and/or forum posts, writing in capitals is the online equivalent of shouting. It's rude, so best not to do it unless you really do want to shout at someone.

I definitely do not use it as a form of abuse or to be rude.

However, I believe you are missing my point. I did actually google "CAPS" way back when. I thought at that time, that it was merely an opinion as in the statement "It sounds like you're shouting".  I accept that, but I feel that it is still only an opinion.  I was actually wondering if there was a definitive statement, either on AVSIM or any other forum, which dictates, as a rule (not guide), of conduct for the forum.  If it exists in the AVSIM forum rules I have missed it.   

12 minutes ago, LHookins said:

Posting in all caps has been considered rude and "shouting" since the very beginning of online communication, in USENET and the dialup BBS systems before the Internet, for example on FidoNet in the 80's.

Before online communication, all caps was fairly common.  COBOL and FORTRAN for example were typically all caps.  Teletype, if I remember correctly, was all caps.

The Unix operating system was common during the early USENET days, and they tended to use lower case in their command lines.  This may have had an effect on USENET etiquette. 

Hook

Again, I point to the word "considered"   .... considered by whom and on what authority? 

Essentially, I am saying that this is a popularly accepted belief, and, one I basically accept and go along with.  My point however, is that it is not mandated anywhere to my knowledge.

Guys, I am not trying to pick a fight with this and I have also somewhat hi-jacked this thread.

I accept the common acceptance with the proviso that it is not mandated and maybe we would all be better off targeting the content rather that the assumed shouting.

It has been interesting though and I thank you for your input.

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

The use of all CAPS is being "rude", "loud", "obnoxious" by using your keyboard or phone trying to get ones attention in text on screen nothing more and is frown upon on the internet community forums. Just take it as the way it is. Nothing to do with language programming etc.

Edited by jbdbow1970

2 minutes ago, jbdbow1970 said:

to get ones attention

Is this not what we are ALL trying to do when we post?

I have already said that I accept this ... I simply wanted to know if there was an authorised "dictate" that started this whole policy of using Caps to shout.  

Lets get back to the original topic eh?

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find more than a relatively small minority of internet-experienced people who don't consider ALL CAPS as shouting or rude. No, there isn't an official rule on it in general (though many forums will have such a rule), but then the internet itself isn't so strictly controlled (not would it be practical to do so).

I would suggest thinking of it this way: If you right a letter ('old-school actual writing😉 ) , you wouldn't print it all in capitals , unless perhaps you're handwriting was indecipherable. It would be considered inappropriate, and you would not have been taught to write like that. Why should it be any different when typing, especially as the indecipherable reason is not an excuse in that case? We also have the benefit of it being easy to type in italics where emphasis is required.

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Again, I do accept this and find absolutely no reason to refute anything anyone has said (typed) I was just looking to verify that it was a popularly accepted thing to do as opposed to a hard and fast "law" 

I believe that this is established as consensus here.  

Again, I would promote targeting the "tone" of the content rather than commenting on "shouting"

2 hours ago, johnbow72 said:

The "quit shouting" part of this text could well be construed by some, as being just as rude as the original post in CAPS.  johnbow72... I am just using this as a context and it is not a social comment directed to or at you.

I think some people may well have misunderstood my purpose with my original response and that is probably my fault, in that, on reflection, it too may have been phrased a little better.

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

I actually find it much more rude tht people take it on themselves to respond by ordering the poster when they have no answer to the question.  In a room oral shouting does give people a problem as everyone can hear them.  In a forum it does not glare the eyes out more than anything else.

Harry Woodrow

It is also a bad habit, as most operating systems (other than DOS/Windows) are case sensitive and typing all caps at a linux prompt is likely to get you nowhere fast or at a minimum loading the wrong file.

However more to the point does anyone know the answer to the question ?

I would also add that demanding no caps could be considered discriminataory.  Consider the case of dislexia....where it is possible that the writer has les of a problem by writing in caps.  Or even poor eyesight especilly on small screens where caps may be able to be distinguished by the author but lower case text not.

eg https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2016788/

Edited by harrry

Harry Woodrow

55 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Again, I do accept this and find absolutely no reason to refute anything anyone has said (typed) I was just looking to verify that it was a popularly accepted thing to do as opposed to a hard and fast "law" 

I believe that this is established as consensus here.  

Again, I would promote targeting the "tone" of the content rather than commenting on "shouting"

The "quit shouting" part of this text could well be construed by some, as being just as rude as the original post in CAPS.  johnbow72... I am just using this as a context and it is not a social comment directed to or at you.

I think some people may well have misunderstood my purpose with my original response and that is probably my fault, in that, on reflection, it too may have been phrased a little better.

Tony

Bit of a over reaction on my part , I am sorry that I responded that way Tony .

Cheers

John