Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Updated PA 44 Seminole, how is it.

23 minutes ago, hangar said:

I think you may be confusing the two of them. It's the Seneca that has the defrosting window cutout 🙂

You are correct, hadn't had my morning coffee yet when I posted that. I will edit the change. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Took the plunge and bought the Seminole this morning. On my first VA flight with it. So far so good. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

The Seminole is a fun plane to fly IRL. My only comment is that the fuel burn doesn’t match its real-world counterpart (I feel like they use the pre-1995 Seminole engines/performance, with a post-1995 panel, which is weird....).

15 minutes ago, amahran said:

The Seminole is a fun plane to fly IRL. My only comment is that the fuel burn doesn’t match its real-world counterpart (I feel like they use the pre-1995 Seminole engines/performance, with a post-1995 panel, which is weird....).

It flew really well, and frankly I can't see why some complain about the engine sounds in the cockpit. Sounded OK to me. Flies really stable, nice coupled ILS approach. AP works well too. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

It flew really well, and frankly I can't see why some complain about the engine sounds in the cockpit. Sounded OK to me. Flies really stable, nice coupled ILS approach. AP works well too. 

The low pitch humming sound in the cockpit, it might even be realistic, just don't want to hear it. It may depend on your other sound settings and setup to how bad you hear it, I literally had to turn cockpit sound almost all the way down (but then I think you lose warning sounds too).

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

15 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

The low pitch humming sound in the cockpit, it might even be realistic, just don't want to hear it. It may depend on your other sound settings and setup to how bad you hear it, I literally had to turn cockpit sound almost all the way down (but then I think you lose warning sounds too).

I'm not hearing that. Might be my sound settings

25 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

humming sound in the cockpit,

Fuel pump?

Bert

19 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Fuel pump?

lol, I'll test it again and see.

Edit
Just tested, nah, fuel pump didn't change the sound. The interior cockpit sounds like a 1950's air conditioner at a roach motel. It's mainly the engine sounds, but it's also the environment sound mixing with the engine. Have to turn them both off to get rid of it.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

5 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Using the 530 with and without Mods, same problem. 

That's strange, I run the JF Arrow with the 530 mod, and I haven't had a CTD yet in about 10-15 hours flight time.

Switch placement aside, as for the Seminole or Seneca, to me they are different classes of airplane.  I think of a Seminole as a twin engined Tomahawk.  A trainer or maybe a runabout, but not ideal/  great performer for longer touring.  Whereas the Seneca is quite a bit more capable all around.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

51 minutes ago, Mace said:

That's strange, I run the JF Arrow with the 530 mod, and I haven't had a CTD yet in about 10-15 hours flight time.

Switch placement aside, as for the Seminole or Seneca, to me they are different classes of airplane.  I think of a Seminole as a twin engined Tomahawk.  A trainer or maybe a runabout, but not ideal/  great performer for longer touring.  Whereas the Seneca is quite a bit more capable all around.

Tell me about it. I spent hundreds of hours trying to narrow down the CTD problem I had which was continual. Finally I read a post on another forum where someone was having CTDs with the JF Arrow, so I stopped using it, ( and that was all I was flying for the last couple of months,) and haven't had a CTD since, in about 20+ flights. 

As far as the Seneca, I hated the waffle iron glued to the Windscreen in the Seneca, plus some are having CTDs with it on the MSFS 2020 forum so I lost all interest it buying it. I fly for a VA and my typical flight is around 120-150 miles, and the Seminole is perfect for that. 

I flew the Seminole for my VA, four and a half hours today. I wonder how much that would cost in real life? 

7 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

lol, I'll test it again and see.

Edit
Just tested, nah, fuel pump didn't change the sound. The interior cockpit sounds like a 1950's air conditioner at a roach motel. It's mainly the engine sounds, but it's also the environment sound mixing with the engine. Have to turn them both off to get rid of it.

Is that "wawa" sound if unsync prop? 

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

3 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I flew the Seminole for my VA, four and a half hours today. I wonder how much that would cost in real life? 

Googling it, says about $500 hour.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Googling it, says about $500 hour.

Rip off

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

It is basically a T-Tail Cherokee with an extra engine 😄

They are not spectacular performers.  Single engine performance is almost non - existent above a few thousand feet. Not quite in the "arrive at the crash site more slowly" territory but pretty close.

If you look at the chart below - your climb rate with an engine out if your at 2000' with an OAT of 20 degrees is going to be less than 100 fpm .

VNHOW.jpg

They seem to be mainly used as trainers for people wanting a multi engine endorsement. This is presumably where the main long term interest in this aircraft will come from - people training in them.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick