Sign in to follow this  
737_800

Standard vs. Premium Deluxe

Hi,

I have an coupon code, so I want to use that for the flight sim. Since the coupon is for retail I have to buy the boxed version. It Premimum Deluxe Version worth it? Most likely I am gonna payware quality airports anyway for EHAM, EDDF etc. However, how much would it cost me to upgrade to the premium version? Is that even possible when have the boxed version?

Yes that is possible but it is way more expensive to upgrade to Deluxe or Premium after already owning the Regular. I can't see the price in Marketplace because they don't show prices for what you already have purchased.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Personally, I would go over the list of extra planes and airports, and ask yourself if you will genuinely ever use them. I bought the fancy, deluxe version, and duped myself into thinking I needed everything. Truth is, I’ve only used a couple of the planes, and visited 2 of the handcrafted airports. If I could go back in time I’d have bought standard and kept a good chunk of money in the bank. Most of my flying is in the UK, and my chosen aircraft is payware, as are my favourite airports.

• Like 1

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

Yeah, I think I go with the standard version since I have a coupon. So I only have to buy 9 bucks for it. So I can easly effort the 10 airports of the deluxe premium version as payware mods (when on discount, otherwise not).

Only thing is, I would need to buy the box version what I don't prefer, because I do not want to insert the disc everytime nor have I a disc drive. According to some users, in the box version is a download key, so I wouldn't need the dvd's. HOwever, some other users claim the opposite.

The only reason I would say the premium deluxe version is worth considering, is on the off-chance that a subsequent third-party add-on might use an asset from that premium version and thus the add-on might potentially be only compatible with versions of the sim which have those assets. Although having said that, I think I am correct in saying that the Premium Deluxe aeroplanes are actually in the Standard MSFS version, just not available as unlocked flyable assets, so this might not even be an issue anyway.

It was this line of thinking which made me buy the Premium Deluxe version. At the time when I ordered it (pre the release of the sim) I did consider it worth having one or two of the aeroplanes you get in the Premium version, but that was before the sim was released and we subsequently found out that these expansion aeroplanes weren't much to write home about, so on balance I don't know whether it was worth paying the extra, particularly since you can, at a later date, always decide to upgrade to it should that prove necessary for some add-on or other to work. Of course we also know that some of those expansion aeroplanes have subsequently been tarted up by third parties a bit, so there is that to consider, although they have locked-out config files so there is not as much of that going on for them as there is for the default assets in the Standard version.

This is akin to the same thing which occasionally used to occur if there was an add-on for FSX which was dependent on you having the Deluxe version of FSX or the Acceleration expansion for FSX. This was the case with several A2A add-on aeroplanes for FSX, which required you to own the Acceleration version of FSx in order to work because they used the additional system modeling features of the engine which were on the P-51 racing aeroplane in the Acceleration add-on, although I doubt this would be the case for MSFS, since it would mean products in the MSFS market might potentially not work for some buyers, and that would be bad from a PR standpoint. 

So in all honesty, I would get the Standard version and only consider upgrading if that subsequently proved necessary to enjoy a later add-on which might be somehow dependent on the expansions. That is unless you aren't concerned about the additional cost of the Premium version, in which case it'd be worth having just to know that you were covered for any such scenario of the above which might have a bearing on things.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

The fact that you want to buy payware in the future tells me that your not on a super tight budget.

If I'm correct than I would go for the premium deluxe.

You might some things you never use but you are also garanteed that you dont miss on some of the airplanes mods in the future.

It's a 1 time 60 extra investment.

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

I somehow like the 787, especially with the new mod. Since I quite often fly to and from EDDF I very much like the airport with all the surrounding buildings. I bought ORBX Frankfurt too, which is very good. So, 60 Euros paid for the 787 and EDDF plus one or two smaller aircraft I sometimes fly. Seems ok but not super cheap.

• Like 1

I used to fly study-level aircraft in FSX, so when we have pmdg and fslabs available I will stick with them. For smaller aircraft I will go with A2A.

You might some things you never use but you are also garanteed that you dont miss on some of the airplanes mods in the future.

Do you mean standard users don't get all the updates by Microsoft? To which extend, only aircraft or also additionally added detailed airports?

There is a nice mod for the Cessna Longitude.  That aircraft is only in the premium edition.

The same goes for the 787 as crimplene stated.

You get the same updates but you cant use above aircraft

Maybe do a search on the difference between the 3 versions and see what you get in each.

Edited by hansb57

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

I am aware of the difference of all the versions. I actually don't care about mod updates as long as we get "study-level" aircraft into the sim. Eventhought I am enjoining the FBW A320X mod pretty much. It's a good way getting through the waiting.

The reason why I asked is, that for example Asobo will update some airports and these airports are made by Gaya. Will these airports be updated in the standard version either?

See charts below. You get updates to other airports (like from world updates), but not the ones from the list below if they do not meet the version criteria. Any new airports from the world updates are released to everyone. So you won't lose out on any future airports other than what is in the original list. The longitude with the mods is one of the best aircraft in the game, and as others said, the 787 isn't half bad, I think it's worth it with the extra airports and aircraft.

Airports available per Version

enhanced-airports.jpg

Aircraft available between versions

airplanes.jpg?fit=bounds&width=640&height=480

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

The Citation Longitude with mods alone was worth the price for the Premium  version.

1 hour ago, 737_800 said:

I am aware of the difference of all the versions. I actually don't care about mod updates as long as we get "study-level" aircraft into the sim. Eventhought I am enjoining the FBW A320X mod pretty much. It's a good way getting through the waiting.

The reason why I asked is, that for example Asobo will update some airports and these airports are made by Gaya. Will these airports be updated in the standard version either?

I cannot put my finger on it right now, but I recall from the early days or even pre-release that additional tier-specific content might arrive in the future at each respective level.  If that is true then any new content for the Premium or Deluxe levels might be locked if not at that level.  To-date I do not recall seeing any new tier-specific content.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Generally speaking it seems the following aircraft see regular use out of the addon packs by at least a few people:

Deluxe:

Steam Gauge 172 Skyhawk
Beechcraft Baron

Premium:

Cirrus SR22
Pipistrel Virus
Citation Longitude

The packs are good value in terms of dollars per aircraft PROVIDING you fly a reasonable proportion of the added planes regularly.

None of them are "Study Level" but the price per aircraft is not that of "Study level" aircraft either.

(  To be honest the number of complaints that basically translate to "the default free aircraft in MSFS are nowhere near as good as my $150 per aircraft addons I fly in P3D" suggests to me Asobo made the correct decision keeping the default aircraft very basic and somewhat glitchy. )

I'd be interested in knowing how many people buy the basic version, have regrets, and then spend the xtra cash on the Premium version. 

• Like 1