Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Mushrooms found on Mars!

Maybe those 'shrooms are what this guy eats.

113-1136138_marvin-the-martian-copy-loon

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

The mushrooms image was from the movie Caddyshack!

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

It’s a bummer this topic couldn’t have been explored more with a little bit of maturity. Sure, the sources might be questionable but what if there are mushrooms on Mars? I don’t know, call me dramatic but having a discussion on the possibilities certainly outweigh the way-less-fun approach of debating a source. I’m just excited that there might be a fraction of truth there. 

3 minutes ago, Bdub22 said:

It’s a bummer this topic couldn’t have been explored more with a little bit of maturity. Sure, the sources might be questionable but what if there are mushrooms on Mars? I don’t know, call me dramatic but having a discussion on the possibilities certainly outweigh the way-less-fun approach of debating a source. I’m just excited that there might be a fraction of truth there. 

Yep, I agree, and admit I did expect more of a sensible, serious discussion. I also admit that I too jumped on the bandwagon and joined in with the fun. In fact I was about to add that all the astronauts really needed was to just take some eggs and they could make mushroom omelettes. 

Feel free to add your "sensible" comments.

In the new paper, the scientists point to a set of Opportunity photos that shows nine spheres increasing in size, and an additional 12 spheres emerging from beneath the soil, over a 3-day sequence. The researchers claim Martian wind didn’t uncover the amorphous spheres, and that they “expand in size, or conversely, change shape, move to new locations, and/or wane in size and nearly disappear.”

Trouble is, this is ONE paper, so interesting but that's all we can say at this point. To be definitive, we would need physical evidence, which means an astronaut picking one up, placing it in a container, and analysing it in his/her Mars habitat. 

Personally I think this is many times more likely to be mineral deposits of some kind, all manner of spheres and peculiar looking structures can be created by such processes. 

Perseverance of course has the capability to take samples and leave them on the surface in trackable containers for an intended return mission. Will be great if Perseverance comes across these structurers and does so.

I say send the astronauts though. Any geologist will tell you that there's no substitute for a geologists or biologists boots on the ground. 

Edited by martin-w

In all seriousness, it is highly unlikely they are actually mushrooms.  They could be mineral deposits or small rocks worn smooth by eons of abrasion.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

24 minutes ago, stans said:

In all seriousness, it is highly unlikely they are actually mushrooms.  They could be mineral deposits or small rocks worn smooth by eons of abrasion.

True... but this is an international team of many scientists that have contributed to this paper. So perhaps not as unlikely as we assume. I mean its not like its one crazy scientist making a wild claim.

1 hour ago, harrry said:

after all scientists never make wild claims

That wasn't what I said. I said it's not ONE scientist making a crazy claim. You will find all manner of crazy papers written by scientists. That's why a body of research is required. Thus, if it's more than one scientist, and as claimed, an international team, its more plausible than one nut job scientist making a claim. That doesn't mean this research IS valid, just a higher degree of plausibility than a single rogue scientist making crazy claims. 

In addition... where is the crazy "claim" in the link you posted? That is just scientists speculating about the nutritional role of cannibalism, probably an anthropology discussion. Its a "debate" not research. And not at all relevant to our discussion. 

Edited by martin-w

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

On 5/9/2021 at 4:09 PM, Freo said:

Wonder if they are Portobello, Shiitake, Oyster or White button ?

All psilocybin, of course :blink:

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Anton's videos are usually pretty good. I'll watch that tonight.