Sign in to follow this  
marjimbo

Changing default Vertical Speed in Carenado PA31T - FSX SE

Can anyone help me understand where to find the default vertical speed setting for the KFC 200 autopilot in the Carenado Cheyenne II (PA31T). This vertical speed is set when you arm a new altitude in flight. The default setting is 500 FPM climb or descent, which is unrealistic in the Cheyenne as typical climbs are 1500 FPM and higher and descent needs to be at least 1000 fpm to meet typical ATC needs. Many approachs have several step downs which required lots of autopilot manipulating to reset the V speed each time a new altitude is armed.

There is a setting in the aircraft.cfg file for "default vertical speed" but it is set to 0.0 and changing it has no apparent effect.

Thanks

Marjimbo

The setting in the aircraft.cfg is the only place I know of.  Under [autopilot] default vertical speed.  Maybe a setting in the .air file?

Keep the setting at 1000 feet in the aircraft.cfg.  Are you increasing speed for climb and deceasing it on descent?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thanks for the reply charliearon.

I've already tried adjusting the default v speed in aircraft.cfg. It seems to have no effect.

My speed varies depending on the situation. I climb at near max power and at 2000 fpm and speed settles around 180 until power/IAS declines at higher altitudes. Descent speed varies - enroute descent I keep near 180-190. Once within range I slow to 160 clean, 15 deg flap and 140 in area of airport and 120 on final approach. These speed changes don't affect the altitude "ARM" function.

I'll try finding a .air file.

Thanks

I looked at the PA31T.air file for the Cheyenne II. There is nothing in that file related to autopilot parameters.

Any other suggestions?

A good brain teaser to go with the morning coffee. 
The answer? It is hard coded in part of the AP system gauges.
Instead of directions on how to modify yourself I just made a little kit to try yourself.
Default up = 1500 fpm, default down = -1000 fpm.

[Install] 
Download the kit here. Unzip & place the GAUGE_PA31TAP.cab file in both the Airplanes\Carenado PA31T_Cheyenne_II_LITE\panel  & Airplanes\Carenado PA31T_Cheyenne_II\panel folders.
Do NOT install into the FSX\Gauges folder

[Uninstal]
Delete the GAUGE_PA31TAP.cab file from both the Airplanes\Carenado PA31T_Cheyenne_II_LITE\panel  & Airplanes\Carenado PA31T_Cheyenne_II\panel folders.

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Thank you spokes2112. I'll try it and let you know how it goes.

Hi spokes2112. Your "kit" works perfectly. You're my new best FS programmer friend. 

Thank you

• Like 1