Sign in to follow this  
lliaudais

How set spot view at 300 feet from aircraft?

Hi Folks:I have searched this forum and can't find the answer. In the FS9 views menu I could set my spot view at various distances from the aircraft, but I can't find how to do it in FSX. I could zoom out, but that results in terrible distortion of the view.Thanks for any help!Airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

I haven't found it eitherclicking + and - only changes the zoom, not the actual distance. If you zoom too far out you get that wide angle lens effect, where straight lines "bend."

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

>I haven't found it either>>clicking + and - only changes the zoom, not the actual>distance. If you zoom too far out you get that wide angle>lens effect, where straight lines "bend." While holding down the Ctrl key, hold down the + or - key.Hope this helps,Jim

Guest The Wizard of Oz

As indicated Ctrl + and - does not zoom but moves the camera away from the aircraft- (increasing the distance +) and towards the aircraft (decreasing the distance -)Re WOZ

Hi AirbusAs previously noted, Control +/- moves the camera viewpoint toward or away; you can't set the distance directly in FSX as in FS9...However, the addition of an initial position of the camera CAN be set in a camera definition added to the aircraft config file. If you add the distance in the Cameras.cfg, it will apply to all AC that do not have their own definition. The advantage of modifying the Cameras.cfg is simplicity; the advantage of individual definitions is the ability to customize each AC individually. I prefer the second.Additionally, SAVED flight include camera positions, so saving a flight when your viewpoint was 300' should continue with that location; it would probably return to the default distance when you reset the view if there is not an individual AC camera definition for that view.I added a 'generic' locked spot view to my small planes so I wasn't so close in to the tail and it resets to the pre-defined distance of 15 meters. You can change it to 99, which should be about 300'.This particular definition is also set for "fixed" view; swap comment slashes to make it a normal 'locked' view.This still won't let you casually set a specific distance, but I edit and save AC cfg files (on the 'fly') all the time - just reload the AC and the new parameters are used. It's a lot faster than holding the keys and estimating where 1200' distance is...-CameraDefinition.00X- (mine happens to be .001)Title = Fixed Spot View// NEW guid (unique)Guid = {EFB2C109-C217-4425-9470-165DB3377A88}Description = This is the description of the spot view.Origin = CenterSnapPbhAdjust = OrdinalSnapPbhReturn = TruePanPbhAdjust = SwivelPanPbhReturn = False//Track = ChaseLocked // normal 'locked'Track = FixedChaseLocked // FS9 'fixed view'ShowAxis = NoAllowZoom = YesInitialZoom = 1.0SmoothZoomTime = 1.0 // I sped this up...ShowWeather = YesInitialXyz = 0, 1.0, -15.0 // optional start location (15 meters)<<<======XyzAdjust = TrueTransition = No // your choiceShowLensFlare=TRUECategory = Outside // you may want a New Catagory "custom" "Fixed" etc...ClipMode = SpotPitchPanRate=30 // your choice (degrees per sec)HeadingPanRate=75 // your choice (degrees per sec)PanAcceleratorTime=0MomentumEffect=FALSE // your choiceNice to have choices...Loyd