Sign in to follow this  
NZAA

Super Power My Machine

Okay, first of all - I know there's a million and one topics on this but bear with me. 

I've got a Ryzen 3600X CPU, SSD drive, RTX2060 Super GBU 16GB DDR4 ram and I'm happy with the performance of MSFS.

But I get 8-20FPS in busy airports and want to crank up some settings to improve graphics. My love in this sim is scenery 

What options will give me best bang for buck and or what order should I do these in?

• Upgrade to 32GB DDR4 ram with 2 more 8GB cards
  • Move to 2x 16GB DDR4
  • Wait for DDR5 ram and get 32GB
  • Move to dedicated SSD
  • Move onto M.2 
  • Upgrade to Ryzen 5900X or similar
  • Get second GPU 2060 Super? (not sure if this can be done)
  • Just wait and get RTX 3000 series card

At this stage I'm playing 1080p but would like to increase this

probably a topic for the hardware forum...

• Like 2

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Ram would be the easiest not sure it would give you many fps if any.  Would give you another scenery loading though.

A new CPU would help as well

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

4 hours ago, NZAA said:

Okay, first of all - I know there's a million and one topics on this but bear with me. 

I've got a Ryzen 3600X CPU, SSD drive, RTX2060 Super GBU 16GB DDR4 ram and I'm happy with the performance of MSFS.

But I get 8-20FPS in busy airports and want to crank up some settings to improve graphics. My love in this sim is scenery 

What options will give me best bang for buck and or what order should I do these in?

• Move to 2x 16GB DDR4
  • Move to dedicated SSD
  • Move onto M.2 

5800x and Ram.. After that.. GPU BTW if you are on the stock cooler you will have to buy an AIO or very good Air cooler for best results with that 5800x. These chips (5800x on up) run toasty. If you don't want to spend additional on cooling then 5600x although that's not my first choice. Also make sure your mainboard supports the 5000 series chips above all else first.

Edited by Maxis

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

6 hours ago, NZAA said:

• Move to 2x 16GB DDR4
  • Move to dedicated SSD
  • Move onto M.2 

First thing: dual channel 32 GB DDR4 RAM (you cannot install DDR5 on your system). 

2: GPU but at the moment prices are still crazy. Wait and continue playing at 1080p in the meantime. A 2nd 2060 would be useless.

Ryzen 5900X would be 20-25% faster in single thread but I would consider it as 3rd option. First of all the dual channel RAM.

SATA SSD is fine, M2 would be slightly faster but you would have benefits only in loading time.

• Upvote 2

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

GPU (by far) if you can find one, but it would have to be at least a 2080 or a 3070 to be worth it.

I went from Ryzen 3600 to Ryzen 5800, virtually no difference in FPS (1-2 frames in busy areas, maybe +3-4 rarely), you need more GPU over everything, just like every PC game. Keep in mind the testers and benchmarkers that tested different CPU's were often intentionally making the load CPU intensive by changing certain sliders, in real world settings, it usually hits the GPU much worse.

That said, after the GPU, then the CPU, and then the memory. Though memory is easiest / cheapest of them all, but it won't help much.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Upvote 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

Ram 2x16 first.

I have a  R5 3600 + rtx2060 and 32Ram and have very good perf in airports with the A32NX.

And look at the XBOX and try to have the same system as Asobo is heavily tweaking the sim as we speak to make it meet XBox requirements.

Edited by Noooch

RAM won't help frame rates. It helps a tiny bit at very high resolutions.

Edit:
Beat me to it, yah RAM is overrated in here, unless your on 8GB, it won't make the game work better, even 16 GB to 32 GB doesn't make a notable difference. People will say "the app used all their memory", but it only used it because it was there, it doesn't mean it needs it. In performance testing, it made no difference. It may help in VR or if playing in 4k in Ultra, but it's unlikely anyone with a 2060 would have much luck at Ultra settings anyways.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Upvote 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

it is not only a component problem but also an airport optimization problem. Even powerful graphics cards are on their knees. Your settings are not optimized either .In your place I would wait the end of the year.Can you show me your settings.Because 8/20 fps is really low, I rarely get below 30 fps with my old PC.

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

I have an RTX 3070 and upgrading from a 2700 to a 5600x doubled my framerates at relatively very little cost (at 1080 rez). I traded off a few FPS to max out everything to ULTRA and enable v sync.

Upgraded from a 250 mb SSD to a 1 tb m.2 drive that improved loading times but I can't be precise as I forgot to do a benchmark.

Upgraded from 16mb DDR4 to 32mb DDR4 and smoothness improved but I didn't notice a perceptible improvement in frame rates.

My FPS is currently in the mid to high 50s over default terrain and never goes under 30 even with some pretty heavy addon photoscenery and highly detailed airports.

Edited by cianpars

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I'd look into optimizing your current machine first.   I have the same specs (see sig) except i have 32gb ram.   I run all graphics settings on max except render scale left at 100 and motion blur off.   Playing at 1080 it's locked at 30fps and  i almost never see it go below that, even in PG areas and large international airports.   At worst I've seen down to 26/27 briefly.

I dont fly big jets mind, only GA and the odd military fighter. but have no issue keeping 30fps with all the eye candy. 

• Like 1

I would add that with the new Intel GPUs that will arrive, there will be no shortage of graphics cards with Intel and with " prices / performance " that will put a smile on your face. Fine-tune your MSFS settings and wait a few months for a more mature MSFS and a more diverse choice of components.That's what I do anyway.

• Like 1

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

I was initially considering a PC upgrade to be able to run MFS.

I am glad I didn't spend my money in a new GPU, or even a full PC build because MFS turned out to be a big disappointment..., but I am starting to get the idea that instead of getting better it is actually getting worst and more problematic in terms of performance.

I really can't say from my own experience because it's been months now since I last had it running on my desktop, but I continue to poll the forums and keep in contact with users, and I am puzzled to see reports like the OP in this thread ! His rig is way better than mine, and yet hecstrives to run MFS decently.

Yet, if I was still considering a PC upgrade I would invest on a Nvidia GPU, probably a 1660 or jump to a 3k series, 32 GB RAM DDR4, and ask Alexis to design a good cpu / mb combo, either AMD or INTEL...

But then again, what would I do with MFS, other than wait for a whole lot of things to happen in terms of consistency and playability....  Probably a big waste of money right now...

OTOH, PSX, a unique masterpiece in terms of flight dynamics, systems, weather, operations, simulation of a Boeing 747, runs at 70 fps on my old rig... and simulates details, and feels that MFS is zillion years away from being able to even approach 😕

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...