Sign in to follow this  
Biology

Can't get used to Chaseplane

Hi,

I have been using X-Plane since 2018 and recently gotten into P3D. Until now I only used default camera, but then I decided to give Chaseplane a try as it was recommended by everyone. Sadly I am really unhappy with it and ended up uninstalling after just a few hours of experimenting.

Similar to most games around, both X-Plane and MSFS use right mouse button to pan around, same story for default P3D v5 camera. As right mouse button is more or less standard, I am really used to it and the only option offered by Chaseplane, middle mouse button, is extremely discomfortable. I also tried old FSX style (space bar), which was similarly discomfortable. I did a lot of Google search with no help, it looks like there is no way to make Chaseplane use right mouse button instead of middle mouse button. This is a massive deal breaker for me and I couldn't care less about other improvements it have when basic scrolling is really uncomfortable.

Is there a way to make Chaseplane use right mouse button? If not, does //42 offer refunds? I really regret getting it.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by BiologicalNanobot

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

I'm with you on this.

Was quite excited about the prospect of getting Chaseplane. I used it for a few hours and then uninstalled it.

The camera controls are so unintuitive.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz  
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Really, u are ready to dump a piece of solid software only because of that ?

They have worked on that for months and u want refund cause ur finger cannot master button that is 10mm to the left or right ?

Where do we go ... 

Edited by Beardyman
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Artur 

5 minutes ago, Beardyman said:

Where do we go ... 

What's wrong with not liking an add-on? And yes, that middle mouse button, which is "10 mm to the right" of right mouse button, is much harder to press compared to right mouse button. It is simply uncomfortable, and goes against the point of a QoL add-on.

Are people really ready to negatively criticise others just because of their taste? "Where do we go..."

Edited by BiologicalNanobot
  • Like 1

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

I use an Xbox controller to run Chaseplane and it is nirvana. Never have to look at the controller since everything is available to my left hand, and using the joysticks to control internal and external views is tremendous.

Might want to give it a try. The only caveat is caution when using a wireless Xbox controller - they used to have a reputation for losing the signal under P3D - and get a USB wired controller.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

also using an xbox controller.  Each airplane I have views set to various buttons.  IE, press left I'm VC Captain view.  Up is overhead panel.  Down is FMC.  would STRONGLY suggest picking an xbox controller up and using it.  I never deal with mouse button and panning issues like mentioned.  It's un-needed since you can use the stick buttons on the controller to smoothly pan around. 

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I would feel  holding the right mouse button to controll view-panning in P3D could be problematic as that is what is traditionally used to handle the 2D Menu (i.e. for the addons dropdown which is used by many addons e.g. GSX etc.)

If you don't feel like Chaseplane is right for you then fair enough, but I would suggest sticking with it a bit more, as it does so much as a camera addon (The Cinematic Camera is my go-to during cruise) and after a few hours of use I was very comfortable with it after moving from the default FSX camera that I panned with the hat-switch on my joystick/ yoke. I also put down a number of key-bindings that add a huge degree of quality-of-life at least in my experience.

That being said being able to rebind the panning controls would certainly be an improvement.if that isn't already the case.

Can't comment with regards to using an x-box controller or similar as I don't own one, but could be worth a try as well.

PUT In the UK.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x & Radeon RX570 8GB. Prepar3Dv5.3 @1080p

spacer.png

Not sure if this will help or not. I assign views to the number keys and then also use the hat switch and a zoom button to refine the views. Works great this way and I hav copied the method in MSFS. 

• Like 1

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

9 hours ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

discomfortable

Discomfortable .... I love it . Are we on a new trend here.  I have tried on several occasions to arouse interest in the use of "befuddled" as in confused and "fuddled" as in enlightened.  No one seems to comment on this at all, so I may be on the wrong track.

Back to topic.

I have a mate who has it and loves it.  I find it fairly awkward in that I could not see a way to map the views to keys  in the same way that Xplane handles it. ie control = number pad key to map and then just the number pad number to recall that panel or screen as required.  It is very simple.

ChasePlane, however, from my brief glimpses at his computer system *he has two 40 inch screens with Chaseplane configured by a short cut to his second monitor.

As I see it, to change a screen or view, he has to click on his chaseplane shotview and that changes the view. BUT, he then has to click on his main monitor in order to access any buttons or switches.  All in all, it appears to be a little confusing and complicated.

I have to admit though that he is used to it and loves it.  I also am not at all sure that he has it all configured correctly or making the most efficient use of the mapping and/or use of the programme.

Due to this, I am somewhat hesitant to purchase the product, and, please, I am not denigrating the product.  This opinion stems from two very brief looks at the product.

Ezidoc, which I believe is similar, may well have the same perceived limitations but also may well be worth a look at.  I do not know if either programme offers a trial period.

Regards

Tony   

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Mapping the keys is pretty easy in Chaseplane, but you do have to go to the app to set the keyboard reference initially. It works a bit more like X-camera if you’ve used that. 

doubt it  very much  that  you will get  a  refund 

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

13 hours ago, simbol said:

Why not re-asing the buttons via settings?

4 hours ago, Tokitaumelie said:

Chaseplane doesn't let me to assign the right mouse button for panning, I already tried with no luck.