Sign in to follow this  
DavidP

Using Multiple Trainers

Hi Jean-Luc & Friends,

I am running the P3Dv5 GTN with the latest Garmin Trainer installed via the last update installer.

I also run the Elite Sim and use it for my work as an Instructor. In the Elite, I have installed the GTN plug-in. Unfortunately this plug in uses quite an old version of the GTN Trainer.

As expected, the Trainer installers won't allow a dual installation.

I have been studying page 22 of the latest installed User Guide on this topic, and have come to a brick wall.

In the section "Installing Multiple Garmin Trainers", item 2, I cannot find any such path ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\GTN Trainer\GTN\sys\") in my Trainer installation - I have installed the Trainer in its default location.

Also, in section 4, where to I find "the following 2 environment variables in Windows"?

name = GTNSIMPATH value = the path to the 'sim' folder you have chosen above
name = GTNAPPDATA value = the path to the 'data' folder you have chosen above

Any insight would be appreciated.

David

Edited by DavidP

David Porrett

38 minutes ago, DavidP said:

In the section "Installing Multiple Garmin Trainers", item 2, I cannot find any such path ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\GTN Trainer\GTN\sys\") in my Trainer installation - I have installed the Trainer in its default location.

The older GTN trainer installed in this location.  I still have V6.21.

The new GTN trainer (V6.62) installs in C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Trainers\Packages..

As for the env vars, you have to create them.. they do not exist by default.

• Like 1

Bert

Hi Bert,

Thanks for your reply and again coming to the rescue 🙂

I still don't see a \sys folder in the path to the newest Trainer. I am currently and will install 6.21 so it fits in with the manual and see how it goes.

How do you create the env vars and where do they go? The manual is not clear at all on this.

David Porrett

Hi Bert

Disregard my previous message. I threw caution to the wind and found the solution is was after.

• Like 2

David Porrett

Hi,

GTN trainers 6.21 and 6.62.4 install side by side without interfering with each other.

Should you want to install both, the RXP GTN will use the latest unless told otherwise.

There is an undocumented environment variable you can use to overriding this (easier than changing a bunch of environment variables):

GTNSIMVERS

• Set this to 6624 to make it use GTN Trainer 6.62.4
  • Set this to 6210 to make it use GTN Trainer 6.21

• Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Hi J-L

Thanks for that additional information. I'll give it a try and see how i go 🙂

• Like 1

David Porrett

I just thought I'd update anyone who may be in the same situation as me.

The Elite sim works nicely with Trainer version 6.50.1. So I installed this version and both my RXP and Elite software are all living happily ever after with no tweaks, hacks etc.

I can now load up my real databases and flight charts into both, so the world is good 🙂 

• Like 1

David Porrett

@DavidP Thank you for the feedback.

For now we've kept the following compatibility in the product:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/534860-12feb21-rxp-gtn-750650-touch-fltsim-v25282-released/

This release is compatible with the following GTN Trainers: 6.62.4, 6.62.3, 6.50.1 and 6.21 only.

We'll probably drop 6.62.3 in future builds, but I can't guarantee we'll keep 6.50.1 long. However we'll certainly keep 6.21 for a long time for sure.

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)