Sign in to follow this  
Immunol

Can't launch MS 2020 with the desktop icon!

I tried to start the sim and got an "insert disc" message because I had forgotten to connect the internet cable - duh!  But after the internet connection was restored (double-checked it) nothing would happen when I clicked the desktop icon. Rebooted with no change. Did a search and found a post about a similar problem that had me sign out of the Microsoft store, then sign back in. No change after reboot. Then I reset the Microsoft Store cache. No change after reboot.

Finally I tried to launch from the Microsoft Store My Library site. No go. I haven't had any start-up issues with the game in a long time. I can't image I corrupted anything by simply trying to start the sim after failing to connect to the internet.

Anybody have a fix for this?

Thanks!

Happenned to moi ittoo

I now always use FSUIPC 7 freeware version only to start up MSFS

51 minutes ago, Immunol said:

I can't image I corrupted anything by simply trying to start the sim after failing to connect to the internet.

I hope you get it going again.. The Microsoft Store / XBox Live combination has been bad for me too.  The worst thing is that the MS Support team does not appear to have a clue.. very disappointing! 😕

First thing I would do is reboot the system.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

11 hours ago, Immunol said:

Anybody have a fix for this?

Had a similar thing after a the patch a couple of weeks ago, working fine before patch.

After spending a couple of days trying to fix it I gave up and reinstalled the sim (took just under 24hrs at my internet speed) it then said I needed to reinstall the xbox app! no idea why but it worked after.

Mick

This happened to me a while back and the shortcut was no longer pointing to the exe.  From memory, I just found the exe and ran from that after which, the shortcut seemed to point to the right place.

Rebooting and logging in and out of the MS Store and XBox Live seems to be a sensible first step.

The security and reliability around MSFS is crazy to the point that when you turn it on, your confidence that it will work without causing a load of ball ache is seriously diminished.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I had the same problem yesterday, with the internet connection on for sure. I had to reboot PC and start over and it did work.

But the funnier thing, I could not exit the sim after completing my flight. It hanged at " do you want to Quit" YES/No with the background music playing.

Waited for ever, I have the sim set at Full Screen View so I could not get out of the sim, and then had to reboot again to get my PC back

Bill

C:|mydocuments\mypictures\my signature.htm

I may have totally screwed up here, but nothing has worked so far. So, I went into apps and reset X-box Live and MS Store. I've had to do this in the distant past to get MSFS 2020 work, so I tried it again - it didn't help. But I noticed that the MSFS icon was greyed out, so I clicked on reset and.....   The MSFS app icon disappeared! Gone!  So, I went to Programs to look for MSFS and it isn't there either. My recycle bin isn't filled up so I don't think everything has been deleted, but I don't know what to do next. Reinstall?

Rookie mistake. Should have asked the forum first. This is a self-inflicted wound but I'm getting mighty tired of having to fiddle with this app.

Any suggestions as to what to do next?  Thanks!

3 hours ago, Immunol said:

Any suggestions as to what to do next? 

Reinstall... welcome to the club!

This happened to me also.. 😕

Bert

On 5/11/2021 at 1:57 AM, Immunol said:

Rookie mistake. Should have asked the forum first. This is a self-inflicted wound but I'm getting mighty tired of having to fiddle with this app.

Any suggestions as to what to do next?  Thanks!

Well I had to reinstall as I said earlier from a fully working sim to nothing after a patch! Trying to load the sim from the store click to play button took me round in circles, emptied the catch, deleted the store and reinstalled no difference, Is it possible the store settings are stored in the cloud and on reinstall of the store it's back to square one?

I would like to think I am not a rookie either as have been into flight sims since 1980's and never have the problems I have with msfs with various other flight sims.

While I will still use msfs if its  working, I now spend most of my time with X-plane.

Hope you have it reinstalled and working again by now.

Mick 

I plan to reinstall this weekend, but I face a conundrum. I need to uninstall MSFS 2020, but it doesn't show up in the apps or the Control Panel uninstall feature. The icon will show up in the Start menu but does nothing when I click on uninstall. It's like it disappeared. I did a Google search and found I could/should uninstall from the registry. I'm concerned that if I don't get a clean uninstall, then I won't get a clean install. I know that one needs to edit the registry with great care, but I believe I could find the right registry entry and delete it.

Does that sound like the right approach?  Or should I try to reinstall over what might have remained on my computer?

Thanks!

34 minutes ago, Immunol said:

I plan to reinstall this weekend, but I face a conundrum. I need to uninstall MSFS 2020, but it doesn't show up in the apps or the Control Panel uninstall feature. The icon will show up in the Start menu but does nothing when I click on uninstall. It's like it disappeared. I did a Google search and found I could/should uninstall from the registry. I'm concerned that if I don't get a clean uninstall, then I won't get a clean install. I know that one needs to edit the registry with great care, but I believe I could find the right registry entry and delete it.

Does that sound like the right approach?  Or should I try to reinstall over what might have remained on my computer?

Thanks!

Might be worth posting this on Zendesk and see if they have a solution. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

48 minutes ago, Immunol said:

Or should I try to reinstall over what might have remained on my computer?

If you go to Windows/Settings/Apps.. can you find MSFS there?

Editing the registry should NOT be required.. I would install over whatever is there..

Bert

Correct, I can't find it in Windows/Settings/Apps. I'll try reinstalling over what might still remain.

Thanks Bert, Mick, Bobsk8 and all who commented. Truly appreciative of this group! I'll let you know how it goes. If it doesn't work, I'll post to Zendesk.