Sign in to follow this  
Gary1124

Orbx versus Ultimate Terrain/GEX

So, Orbx global and Orbx LC works with Flight1 Ultimate Terrain, which I have? The UT doing what Orbx Vector does?

On the mesh issue - I have not bothered with mesh addons in general. That comes from my experience in FSX with mesh enhancements (where they did do a lot of good but FSX was so out of date anyway) and doing a lot of careful study about mesh in the first place. Basically - the mesh comes from only two commercially available sources, the US and Europe which in turn is based on curent or available satellite data (some old, some new).

It has been my experience that for what is western nations (call it what you like) mesh is good and the sim mesh in P3D is high quality as well. Japan is a good example, never needed a mesh enhancement there it has always been well mapped by satellites like the US and Europe. It seems to be the case that when you get off the beaten track that is those countries or areas that are mapped quite crudely by satellites, the addition of a better mesh at a good resolution does make real changes to the scenery. Holgermesh for PNG is one, there is an Alaskan Mesh (38M that cover the west including the Aleutians) and the ORBX South America and Africa Meshes as well, in some areas a replacement mesh is just not available and you have to use the stock mesh (same as everybody else). IF people tell you that they have some magic mesh they are gilding the lily in my simple view. 

I do know that a better mesh would work wonders in the region that runs from Iran throught to China and covers the Himalayas but if there is one, nobody is going to give to us!

I'm sure Uncke Sam has Landsat data that would work. Only DOD sees it. So, what type of enhancement does terrain shape and elevation? Important for my ridges and valleys here.

Thanks.

22 hours ago, mikeymike said:

So the better option would not to have mesh or vector installed for v4 or v5?

It depends on whether you like to see detailed mountains. The Alps are transformed with a good mesh product such as FS Global Ultimate.

There is zero impact on frame rates and although loading takes a little longer it's not a problem really. Yes, you do get cliff-edge effects around some airports where the enhanced mesh meets the airport scenery but FSG has a utility for smoothing that out. It generates a small BGL which you place in a separate folder and that's that problem fixed.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

It depends on whether you like to see detailed mountains. The Alps are transformed with a good mesh product such as FS Global Ultimate.

There is zero impact on frame rates and although loading takes a little longer it's not a problem really. Yes, you do get cliff-edge effects around some airports where the enhanced mesh meets the airport scenery but FSG has a utility for smoothing that out. It generates a small BGL which you place in a separate folder and that's that problem fixed.

Thank you.

mike

12 hours ago, Gary1124 said:

So, Orbx global and Orbx LC works with Flight1 Ultimate Terrain, which I have? The UT doing what Orbx Vector does?

Yes.  UTX USA needs a few minor tricks (detailed, I believe in their forums) to make it install in P3Dv5, and once-installed it works the same as in FSX and previous versions of P3D.  I disable the UTX landclass scenery areas in lieu of the better/more current Orbx OpenLC.  And UTX does not touch elevations.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

2 minutes ago, w6kd said:

UTX USA needs a few minor tricks (detailed, I believe in their forums) to make it install in P3Dv5

If you bought it from Flight1 they have provided an updated installer for v5.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, w6kd said:

Yes.  UTX USA needs a few minor tricks (detailed, I believe in their forums) to make it install in P3Dv5, and once-installed it works the same as in FSX and previous versions of P3D.  I disable the UTX landclass scenery areas in lieu of the better/more current Orbx OpenLC.  And UTX does not touch elevations.

I will be going to V4 because I have cherished aircraft that work in 4 but not 5 yet.

It seems only the "Study Level" publishers have been diligent about P3d V compliance. I know many say 5 runs better than 4 but I am encouraged over all the posts I've read about 4 running better than FSX. 

I think I will start off with my existing Ultimate Terrain and GEX and when discretionary funds become available to me I will uninstall those and buy Global and LC at the same time and use UT only for terrain, mesh disabled. Then top it off with building and foliage autogen and NA airport package.

You will need to replace GEX with GEP3d, which Flight 1 markets for use with P3d.

1 hour ago, rlashier said:

You will need to replace GEX with GEP3d, which Flight 1 markets for use with P3d.

Okay. Thank you. I was thinking GEX was dual platform. I will look it up.

I discovered by cleaning up my 240 gig drive C I can recover a lot of space. I should be able to fit P3d for on C side by side with FSX until I get it set up. The I will move FSX-SE to my HDD drive D with my other Steam downloads.