Sign in to follow this  
767lover

what improved, what got worse since launch

I am not a study level simmer, I just madly love MSFS for its visual fidelity, immersion and overall scope, but there have been some changes since launch, improving on some aspects and worsening others. Personally, I noted the following:

Forward:

-World updates, some terrain improvements, addition of very nice landmarks, amazing Japan Photogrammetry, night lighting (improved and worsened in some respects compared to launch, but I consider it an overall very slight improvement).

Backward:

- Overall visual fidelity seems to have somewhat lowered (I noticed less detail in the clouds, lower detail in the distance, worsening photogrammetry);

- Worse performance on my 10 year old mediocre PC. I used to get smooth performance at launch (which was totally unexpected), with overall settings to high. Now, most of my settings need to be at medium-high. Longer load times since latest update.

- Small planes oversensitive to winds over 10knots, almost unusable.

- Coastline glitch. 

Probably many improvements and degradations I missed. I still very much enjoy MSFS though and appreciate all the dedication the Team is putting into it. 

• Upvote 1

Worse performance on my 10 year old mediocre PC. I used to get smooth performance at launch (which was totally unexpected), with overall settings to high. Now, most of my settings need to be at medium-high. Longer load times since latest update.

For me, I used CYVR as a base way to test the FPS of MSFS shortly after release.  However, on the release of MSFS, it was just the default CYVR.  Now, I got the CYVR from FSimStudios from the marketplace.  Because I am using the CYVR from FSimstudios, it's not an apple to apple comparison to the default CYVR.  Having said that, I don't get as high FPS with the CYVR from FsimStudios as I did from the default CYVR on the release of MSFS (and I am too lazy to delete the FSimStudio CYVR just to test the FPS for an apples to apples comparison, I don't want to waste the time doing that).

I suspect for many people, they started to install this add on, that add on, etc.  The more stuff you install, the more bulky MSFS gets and the slower it becomes.  And over time, installing more stuff will slow down MSFS.  And of course, the more stuff you install & delete on your computer over time, the slower your computer will get.  Also, your hard drive, especially if it's not an SSD, can get slower over time.  My guess is, if people deleted all their add ons and installed MSFS from scratch on a new computer, it would run pretty good.  Mind you, I think it was the second or third patch after the release of MSFS - a patch in September or October, I can't remember the exact date, where they improved the FPS over the day 1 release of MSFS in August.  

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

25 minutes ago, 767lover said:

I am not a study level simmer, I just madly love MSFS for its visual fidelity, immersion and overall scope, but there have been some changes since launch, improving on some aspects and worsening others. Personally, I noted the following:

Forward:

-World updates, some terrain improvements, addition of very nice landmarks, amazing Japan Photogrammetry, night lighting (improved and worsened in some respects compared to launch, but I consider it an overall very slight improvement).

Backward:

- Overall visual fidelity seems to have somewhat lowered (I noticed less detail in the clouds, lower detail in the distance, worsening photogrammetry);

- Worse performance on my 10 year old mediocre PC. I used to get smooth performance at launch (which was totally unexpected), with overall settings to high. Now, most of my settings need to be at medium-high. Longer load times since latest update.

- Small planes oversensitive to winds over 10knots, almost unusable.

- Coastline glitch. 

Probably many improvements and degradations I missed. I still very much enjoy MSFS though and appreciate all the dedication the Team is putting into it. 

I'm very sorry to say this but for me everything got worse since the initial release.

• Upvote 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

What has gotten worse for me since release are my expectations.  Very disappointed in lack of meaningful progress on core flight simulation elements.

• Like 13
  • Upvote 6

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

53 minutes ago, 767lover said:

I - Overall visual fidelity seems to have somewhat lowered (I noticed less detail in the clouds, lower detail in the distance, worsening photogrammetry);

- Small planes oversensitive to winds over 10knots, almost unusable

-haven't noticed any significant degradation of visuals at medium settings.

- performance for me has improved over the course of the updates on my 6-year old PC. Very few CTDs since MSFS was launched. No more than a handful, all due to problems on my end, with the exception of the inflight-map crash.

- Not sure what you mean by "small planes ...almost unusable." I regular fly the DA62 (with mods) and would consider it to be very usable.

• Like 4

Since I removed the Prosim WASM file I can fly to where I want without issues or CTD’s.

Scenery and weather looks good. Performance is very good.

Rocksolid here ...

Only waiting for a NVSURROUND fisheye fix like P3D has.

• Upvote 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

-I used to have CTD's almost every flight on release. I can't remember the last time I had one now.

-Controller sensitivity settings much more customizable.

-Performance seems better overall.

-Live weather is usually accurate, on release it didn't work at all for me.

I can't really think of anything that has gotten worse since launch.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Not much has gotten worse, but a lot of things have stayed the same. That said, if I had to pick one thing, I would say night lighting. It is worse than on release of how I remember it. The colors looked better on release, now it looks slightly cartoony and overblown, though it's not terrible by any stretch.

Improvements
SDK has gotten better somewhat  (But still strange issues)
There seems to be a  larger variety of autogen now (probably from World Updates and what not)
Performance is a bit smoother and fewer CTD's
Improved Weather

Deficiencies
Floating Lights (sometimes 1500 feet in the air), still bugged, not fixed in most places
Landing Physics (too much ground effect when trying to land, you have to force planes down at times)
Many planes still have incorrect controls such as unpredictable autopilots, GPS issues, and operating or performance problems
Flap Physics (Flaps in some planes still create unrealistic drag so that putting flaps on is actually dangerous if trying to climb at slow speeds)
Wind Physics - Not realistic, seen planes get twisted in odd ways that doesn't look real
Twitchiness - Similar to the above issue, even small rudder changes can make planes fly odd and do sudden jerkiness that are beyond normal

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

We didn't have melted buildings at launch.  I assume they melted them to give users a few more FPS.  Why they are still melted on ultra settings with all the sliders up, I'm not sure.

Other than that, I think most of the messes ASOBO made with their updates were patched or fixed in future updates.

I really thought we would have a replay function by now as well.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

2 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

I suspect for many people, they started to install this add on, that add on, etc.  The more stuff you install, the more bulky MSFS gets and the slower it becomes.  And over time, installing more stuff will slow down MSFS.  And of course, the more stuff you install & delete on your computer over time, the slower your computer will get.  Also, your hard drive, especially if it's not an SSD, can get slower over time.  My guess is, if people deleted all their add ons and installed MSFS from scratch on a new computer, it would run pretty good.  Mind you, I think it was the second or third patch after the release of MSFS - a patch in September or October, I can't remember the exact date, where they improved the FPS over the day 1 release of MSFS in August.  

This issue has been much discussed in several threads, but there is a very simple and elegant fix for this. Use one of the free add-on managers, such as https://flightsim.to/file/1572/msfs-addons-linker, , to select which add-ons you want to use for a particular flying session. You store all your add-ons in a designated folder, ideally on a different drive from the one MSFS is on, and the addon linker places links (not the files themselves) to your selected files in the Community folder. Since the links take up very little disc space, your Community folder will be nearly empty and MSFS will not get "bulkier". In addition, you will find that the add-on manager makes it easy to keep track of all your add-ons since you store them in folders and sub-folders of your choosing. Moreover, loading time is kept to a minimum (a couple of minutes typically, for me). This is a tremendously powerful tool and solves a lot of the problems you describe.Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Things are improving slowly. However, a drawback are newly introduced  bugs after each patch. So fixing broken stuff takes toll on overall improvement progress.

Still noticeable incorrect ground physics especially during cross winds . Live weather is improving but still not there.

As far as performance I don't have any issue with that. I know MSFS is hungry for resources but I just bought new rig last summer and it's going strong!

• Like 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

The worst degradation is the tree lod for me, performance is about the same.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Off the top of my head:

Got better:

• New content (world updates, VR)
  • Some newly introduced bugs get fixed more quickly than initially
  • Slightly more accurate mesh in the Alps and Himalayas (since late summer or autumn)
  • More water masks

Got worse:

• Coasts
  • Quality of new photogrammetry (London and Paris)

Kind of both:

• Night lighting: toned down sepia mask (good) but less variation (bad)
  • Mesh: More detailed mesh in some places (world updates) but sadly not that much of a joy because of the constant morphing and tears which got worse

Still bad:

• Back to first STAR waypoint bug 
  • Bugs after each patch
  • ATC

Still, all in all I really love this sim. Especially the visuals and the overall atmosphere are fantastic. I just wish that progress was quicker and more consistent. Apart from VR there hasn‘t been anything new that made me think „wow“. I hope that changes after the XBox release.

Edited by Shack95
  • Like 5

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Trees got improved immensely in terms of their size. The hills and mountains where I live don't look like porcupines anymore.

• Like 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

2 hours ago, cobalt said:

ideally on a different drive from the one MSFS is on,

Why?

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K