Sign in to follow this  
solito

Scenery priority

2 minutes ago, PuffinFlight said:

You can't edit posts here? Maybe it's because I'm new.

Ya got that right! 😄

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

It is a shame that Adobo/Microsoft didnt explain up to day how this works 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 9:41 PM, solito said:

If two scenery files of the same area are stored at the community folder, one of them takes precedence, or they superimpose  ?

When FlightBeams KDEN was first release it majorly conflicted with default KDEN. Early adopters had to manually uninstall Asobos KDEN for FlightBeams to work correctly.  Flightbeam later fixed this issue by uninstalling Asobos during the installation of theirs 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

18 hours ago, PuffinFlight said:

I still think that file has priority, so relying simply on folder naming is not reliable at all

I'd suggest the opposite. 🙂 The way the VFS works has been pretty well understood from the early days of the sim's release.  The presence of content.xml is unfortunate and confusing, and yes, you can control load order with it to an extent.  But:  the way it works relative to community folder content -- especially as things are added, removed, or renamed -- is not, as far as I know, clearly and definitively laid out anywhere other than in the source code.  And, as you've found, it only handles scenery packages, not anything else, so it's not a full solution to load order management.

There's an, IMO, easy and certain way to avoid the confusion you worry about:  don't touch content.xml, let the sim manage it the way it wants to and pretend it's not even there unless you absolutely need it for some reason.   Then there's no cause for confusion because you're using well-understood and easy to use mechanisms for controlling your load order.

That's what makes more sense to me, anyway.  People can use whatever tools they want, but I'd really not recommend someone start using content.xml to control their load order unless I were also willing to spend time explaining to them why it wouldn't work for some things.   And why if you delete it it shows back up, but with all their changes lost.  And any number of other confusing interactions that are best avoided. 🙂

Edited by kaosfere

43 minutes ago, kaosfere said:

There's an, IMO, easy and certain way to avoid the confusion you worry about:  don't touch content.xml, let the sim manage it the way it wants to and pretend it's not even there unless you absolutely need it for some reason.   Then there's no cause for confusion because you're using well-understood and easy to use mechanisms for controlling your load order.

Until you install conflicting scenery. Then you must rename BOTH sceneries in proper alphabetical order, to make system add them in the order you want.

Or you can just move global scenery that has lower priority higher in the file and forget about it, because every new scenery will be added at the end of the file.

Good gravy!

I'm new to MSFS but a very old and very experienced seasoned simmer, tweaker, and sim manipulator.

Every sim I have used, scenery priority, order, layers whatever is significant to proper display and avoidance of conflicts.

Rhetorically, why in blood hell would these folks put out this sim and not explain how to do this correctly?

I have for decades used a careful naming system that makes it easy to find stuff and ensure the correct order.

"a" proceeds a airport addition.

"b" I recently used to add bridges missing from MSFS.

"c" = cityscapes

"o" = objects

"l" = libraries

"r" = regional scenery

"z" = mesh

"zz" = ortho or other new ground base

An airport at the top of the pile, overwrites something in a cityscape or region.

Read this entire thread and now I'm really really confused.

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I thought it was advised that the WT G1000 should be renamed to aworking title so it would get loaded first. Is this still true?

• Upvote 1

Should I set priority for object libraries highr than the sceneries that depend upon them or will MSFS not care?

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

On 5/12/2021 at 3:53 AM, PuffinFlight said:

Addons are loaded based on "content.xml" order. At least that was the conclusion after testing I've made with other mods authors to make our mods compatible. File is located in ...AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache, so 2 tiers above Community folder.

Every addon you add to Community is automatically added to that file.

C:\Users\??????\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator

Definitely NOT in alphabetical order

Edited by B1900
change

http://www.ruscool.co.nzBanner_MJC5.png05_10_2012_14_25_54_C-GLXV_New_Paint_Apr

P3D 4.5:), X-Plane 11.55:(, MSFS 2020:), MJC Q400, Saab 340A, CRJ550, B1900, X-Crafts ERJ/EMB; Win 10x64, 32GB Ram, Samsung drives, RTX 3070 GPU, 5.3 Ghz Intel 1200. Turboprops and RJ's only.