Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Mars not as hellish as you think.

Bezos of course claimed its stupid to go to Mars because its such a hellish place. He claimed Everest is a picnic compared to Mars. Some on this forum are of the same opinion.

The following video "may" change your mind.

Great video, the Angry Astronaut gets better every video. Covers 3D printing Mars habitats too.

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 2

Well, we’d better start buying real estate now before the market explodes up there 😂

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Okay, I'm off to open a pub there. I think I'll call it the Mars Bar.

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

And right across the street I'll set up the Mars Bar successor...The Snickers Almond lounge.

Edited by W2DR
kant spel
  • Like 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Sorry to be so negative but he seems a bit unrealistic about children enjoying living on Mars and seeing  the geological features. In any case, how much breathing air would you need to carry from your home base in order to see all the places he mentions.

Also, I think he is very unrealistic to suggest that they could visit the moons of the gas giants (at 27mins). Isn't that, at least, a 2 year journey from Mars? Even a 7 month journey to Earth seems out of the question for children. Based on our family's journeys across North America, 7 hours was about the limit, even with picnic lunches and scenic attractions on the way.

• Like 1

Dugald Walker

1 hour ago, dmwalker said:

Sorry to be so negative but he seems a bit unrealistic about children enjoying living on Mars and seeing  the geological features. In any case, how much breathing air would you need to carry from your home base in order to see all the places he mentions.

Well clearly you wouldn't trek half way across the planet on foot in a space suit from a single base. Multiple cities would have been built by that time along with transportation methods. He was talking about the future when we are well established on the planet and children are born there.

1 hour ago, dmwalker said:

Also, I think he is very unrealistic to suggest that they could visit the moons of the gas giants (at 27mins). Isn't that, at least, a 2 year journey from Mars? Even a 7 month journey to Earth seems out of the question for children.

Again this is the future he is talking about. By that time we will have nuclear thermal rockets and much more advanced technology than now. He wasn't talking about the children doing such things in their childhood, he meant prospects for them when they grow up.

31 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Again this is the future he is talking about. By that time we will have nuclear thermal rockets and much more advanced technology than now. He wasn't talking about the children doing such things in their childhood, he meant prospects for them when they grow up.

I think of it in comparison to traveling between Europe and the Americas back in the 1600's, long dangerous and definitely not a family outing, but by the end of the 20th century trips across the Atlantic with kids became a commodity. I think space travel, will follow the same route. The mid 21st century will be for explorers and by the 23rd century it will be a regular thing.

Side note, I do believe constructing habitats in orbital Lagrange points and the moon would be a good way to test long term habitats in our back yard before hurling people at the red planet. But that's just me.

35 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Well clearly you wouldn't trek half way across the planet on foot in a space suit from a single base. Multiple cities would have been built by that time along with transportation methods. He was talking about the future when we are well established on the planet and children are born there.

I suppose I have difficulty imagining that far into the future but the examples he gave involved flying and ballooning. Also, I think if he had said "generations" instead of "children", I wouldn't have made the wrong assumption about their travelling around Mars and to the gas giants.

Still, the concern remains about how young children could manage in the Martian environment with very much limited opportunities to have their minds and imagination stimulated. I think children are going to be born there long before there are multiple cities with transportation methods.

Dugald Walker

4 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

It's the journey, not the destination.

Cheers, Rob.

Not always Rob. I spent a few days at the Four Seasons in Bora Bora a while back and I guarantee that if (when) you go there you'll think the destination is much better than the journey 🙂.

Edited by W2DR

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

10 hours ago, FrankSalo said:

I think of it in comparison to traveling between Europe and the Americas back in the 1600's, long dangerous and definitely not a family outing

Initially yes. But in the video he was referring to a time when the human race is so firmly established on the red planet that we are there permanently, have extensive bases across the planet and are having children. In which case we would have a transportation system around the planet like we do on Earth. Children clearly wouldn't be going sightseeing if we had just one base and they had to walk thousands of kilometres in space suits. 🙂 He wasn't really referring to young children sightseeing either. He was referring to the prospects for children born on the planet, their future prospects. 

If you mean the journey to Mars from Earth... Currently its a 6 month trip if the planets are aligned properly. In the future though, with nuclear thermal propulsion and other systems under consideration, its a few weeks to get to Mars. In fact a contract has just been given to Blue Origin, General atomics and Lockheed Martin to develop a nuclear propulsion system. 

10 hours ago, FrankSalo said:

Side note, I do believe constructing habitats in orbital Lagrange points and the moon would be a good way to test long term habitats in our back yard before hurling people at the red planet. But that's just me.

That the plan. 3D printed Moon bases. 

10 hours ago, dmwalker said:

I think children are going to be born there long before there are multiple cities with transportation methods.

Children will be born there when its no longer just temporary assignments for scientists and engineers and a number of full scale, comfortable Mars Colonies are present. By that time I would think transportation would be a thing.

I don't think children being born there will happen for quite a while. There are many biological unknowns and I suspect it will be prohibited until deemed safe. By that time, I'm pretty sure the children of Mars will have plenty to entertain themselves.

There are going to be two very famous people coming in human history. First will be the first person to set foot on Mars. And then the first person born on Mars. That person will still be a human being but they wont be an Earthling they will be a Martian. Barring the plant and animal life we bring with us, and possible life we might find there in the future, the first living Martian we encounter will be ourselves.

Abundant and accessible water below the Martian surface is still pure conjecture.  The atmosphere is minimal, as well as is oxygen, but solar radiation is sure abundant.  The are also severe dust storms covering millions of square miles from time to time, and are not predictable.  The average temperature is about minus 81 degrees F. or so.  But perhaps in a few hundred years, advanced technology would possibly allow for the so-called terraforming of the Mars. 

Until then:  Who wants to take a two to three year round-trip there?  

BTW, most people who reach the peak of Mt. Everest only spend less than 15 minutes up there...