Sign in to follow this  
geedub

FS Commander 8... Is it good?

Guest drewhosick

Just a quick question. How does FS Commander compare to FS Navigator? I just noticed version 8 is out and since FS Nav doesn't work on FSX it might be worth getting COmmander.Does it have an autopilot FMS system at all(even a simple one that will let you fly from one waypoint to the next without having to touch the system? In other words an atlantic crossing with several waypoints can be left alone to come back and find it on the right track after hours?

Guest abulaafia

I have always preferred FSC. Simply download it and try it out. You can use it for free about half an hour, then it quits. If you don't use the moving map, only to create flightplans, you never have to pay, effectively, matter of speaking, but you should, of course, if you use it :) Anyway, give it a try. I think it is the best nav tool out there.

Guest d.lahrman

I'm sure FS Nav for FSX will be out soon. I'm holding off on the purchase 'till they can be compared feature for feature. I have downloaded FSC but haven't installed/played it in demo mode yet. Possibly get to that today. What difficult times we are in: Do we get what is available today, or wait to see what comes out tomorrow? Decisions, decisions.

Guest Phil75070

I, too, am waiting for FSNavigator. One advantage it has over FSCommander is that it does not require FSUIPC.

Guest camtech

i like fsnavigator to and have been using it for years, but im afraid even when i was using it you could tell that it had and effect on frame rate on FS9, not much but you could tell it was running.im worried what effect fsnavigator will have on FSX as far as framerate, and i like running fsnav on a second computer monitor, when running in map mode you can see the frame rate drop when you move it to another monitor .im hoping that FSNavigator will run in a network like FScommander does to ease the pain on the main com, in fact i run all networked add ons if possible. (Radar contact, activesky, and if i buy fscommander).so it depends on how the new version of FSnavigator looks and feels when it comes out, and im afraid if it is not networkable and im going to have to buy the next upgrade than i might as well buy FScommander because it does what i need......................Robert

FSUIPC is free unless you want all the bells and whistles so that is a mute point. Craig

I tried it and from what I saw you cannot export or save flight plans with the demo version. So aside from being able to try it you will need to purchase if you want to save or export flight plans which is the main reason for having it. Craig

Guest abulaafia

that's incorrect. I am able to export and save any flightplans.

Hi Craig,According to the SimMarket site, a registered copy of FSUIPC is required for connection with FS9 or FSX, so without paying for FSUIPC you presumably wouldn't get the moving map.Dugald

You are correct. I went back to the site and you do indeed need the registered version of FSUIPC. I stand corrected. Craig

Guest abulaafia

sorry my mistake, got me programmes mixed up. you can't save flight plans in the unregistered version. it is worth it do, it's by far the best flight planner around.

I have been an avid user of FSNav - I was even one of the 'lucky' ones who got his free. About the only thing in my life I got free. Personally I like the dll concept where you just press a key (F9) and up comes the map. In the absence of FSNav for FSX I am trying out FSC. So far I am finding it clumsy by comparison. I accept the fact that I probably need more time getting to grips with it and by no means wish to downplay it at this stage. I do not network - not at the moment anyway. I never really noticed a frame hit using FSNav. Maybe I was too busy enjoying my flight. GarethSPAINBTW My tweaked FSX seems to run acceptably well on my mid-level PC (around 25 fps cross country on average with graphics sliders to right, except water at High 1, on-line weather, sparse autogen, low scenery). I have had a lot of fun with it, in the realisation that things will only get better, as they surely will. It always has done in the past with this hobby. I think FSX is an astounding achievement. It is more immersive than FS9 by a country mile. IMO. Credit where its due. I have flown r/l for years and am 64, which helps in surprising ways. And my wife still loves me. Abit AN8 ultra, AMD 64 3500+, 1Gb DDR, BFG nVidia 7800GT, Enermax Liberty 450w, 19" Diamond Plus CRT. Plus other noisier stuff in the box. Built by me - to be upgraded when the 'fog' clears. You know what I mean?