Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

PMS50 GTN750 Mod - Just Wow

After hearing about the PMS50 GTN750 mod I decided to try it out at the base level.  As valuable as the WT g1000 mod is for a number of aircraft, it's been a real pain when attempting flight plan modifications, RNAV approaches, etc..  The WT g3000 has been a real gem, and I have been spoiled by its attributes in comparison.

I was going to put her in the Bonanza for the first test, but the weather wasn't cooperating for my planned flight from Sitka to Ketchikan, AK (low scud and icing conditions out of Sitka), so I shoe-horned the unit into the Cessna 208b instead.  I wasn't expecting much - i wanted to play it safe so I stayed with the base unit for now and didn't upgrade for charts or metar capability.  I figured if all went well I'd try the extras.

All I can say is wow!  This thing is great!  I didn't know much about the Garmin unit this is emulating before now, but as soon as I began playing around with it I found a number of features that have endeared the g3000 to me.  Now, editing flight plans - even tuning radios was as easy as using the touch screen on the g3000.

GTN750-(2)

GTN750-(3)

If all of that wasn't enough, I set up for the RNAV Rwy 29 approach into PAKT - Ketchikan (RNP).  For the first time in history for me, a g1000-equipped aircraft captured the glide path!

GTN750-(4)

PAKT-(2)

The GP indicator stayed a little high but took me all the way in safely, remaining above the VASI.  I'm plugging it into the Turbo Bonanza next.  If she runs just as well, that will make a big difference for me.  I was concerned when I saw a few of the other posts on this mod where some had experienced issues, but so far - smooth as silk.

• Like 7

Randall Rocke

You should experience the Reality XP GTN in previous simulators.  This one is truely exciting for MSFS, but in terms of previously existing simulator GTN experience it is a bit of a yawn!

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

11 minutes ago, RandallR said:

.  I wasn't expecting much - i wanted to play it safe so I stayed with the base unit for now and didn't upgrade for charts or metar capability.  I figured if all went well I'd try the extras.

The premium upgrade to access Navigraph Charts and METAR is currently free while it is in Beta.

The METAR access is also free.

The charts however will require you to have a Navigraph subscription as even though the mod is free for the moment the Navigraph is not free.

This is a good mod and is available as a replacement for the G1000 units in a lot of default aircraft as well as planes with an actual GTN750.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, fppilot said:

You should experience the Reality XP GTN in previous simulators.  This one is truely exciting for MSFS, but in terms of previously existing simulator GTN experience it is a bit of a yawn!

Man, this tries my patience.  Can we have just one thread here that talks about how useful/enjoyable/awesome the PMS50 GTN750 (or their GNS530/430) mod is, WITHOUT it devolving into another RXP rah-rah echo chamber?  Yes, RXP makes great products - but those products are currently not available on MSFS.  That’s the real “yawn” to me.  The PMS50 units currently do most of the things I need, and currently the whole thing is both a) actually available, and b) free.  

• Like 23
  • Upvote 7

1 hour ago, JeffChrisope said:

but those products are currently not available on MSFS

What a travesty!  They are critical features for simulation.  Note I said simulation.  I have no interest in entertainment.  I just want a new, complete, and legitimate simulator.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Man, this tries my patience.  Can we have just one thread here that talks about how useful/enjoyable/awesome the PMS50 GTN750 (or their GNS530/430) mod is, WITHOUT it devolving into another RXP rah-rah echo chamber?  Yes, RXP makes great products - but those products are currently not available on MSFS.  That’s the real “yawn” to me.  The PMS50 units currently do most of the things I need, and currently the whole thing is both a) actually available, and b) free.  

At least we are not getting people trying to convert the thread into a discussion of how we need to bring back FSNav from way back in FS9 like happens on the main forums.

To be brutally honest I am actually somewhat pleased that P3D and XPlane are starting to disappear because the elitist super detailed ludicrously expensive but ultimately stupidly boring (for most people) study level airline stuff they had devolved into was what was killing off flight sims as a popular hobby.

Reality XP is a classical example - paying $30 to $40 US for just one Garmin flight instrument (more like $150 for a selection of a few)  is a good thing ?  it is no wonder interest in those old school sims was fading away. It was a hobby for the elite rich who justified the expense by claiming it was "study level". This GTN750 is a good product and free in it's basic form.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 5

I have the RXP GTN for 

I have the RXP GTN for X-Plane and I can't see much difference (if any) between it and this MSFS version? Except that the MSFS version has the added bonus of linking to Navigraph together with using default data and the RXP version is a pig on FPS.

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RandallR said:

All I can say is wow!  This thing is great! 

You should experience the GTN750 in other simulators.  It's pretty neat stuff.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

23 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Reality XP is a classical example - paying $30 to $40 US for just one Garmin flight instrument (more like $150 for a selection of a few)  is a good thing ?  

The GTN 750 was integrated into NUMEROUS addons (either Flight1 or RXP).  It turned planes that could barely navigate via modern methods, into reliable navigators.  30-40 bucks for a GTN is more than fair.  I mean you could spend 140 USD on the PMDG 737....and do it again 3 or 4 times for each new version since FSX...

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

22 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

I have the RXP GTN for X-Plane and I can't see much difference (if any) between it and this MSFS version? Except that the MSFS version has the added bonus of linking to Navigraph together with using default data and the RXP version is a pig on FPS.

I'm not so sure you're familiar with the capabilities of the RXP GTN then hehe.

• Like 11
  • Upvote 4

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

4 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I'm not so sure you're familiar with the capabilities of the RXP GTN then hehe.

Perhaps I'm not. What is it that is missing in the MSFS beta? It seems to have everything I need?

Edited by jarmstro

In a nutshell - reliable navigation.  Hopefully this will come with WT working on the base sim though.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

2 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

In a nutshell - reliable navigation.  Hopefully this will come with WT working on the base sim though.

Hmm. What's that got to do specifically with the GTN? 

• Like 2

There was a thread about this mod not that long ago that drew my attention.  What worried me was the amount of users experiencing CTDs, etc., so I came into the test today not expecting much.  I came here from many years in the Fly! world.  I had read up on some of the glass panel systems but had not experienced them as Fly! development came to an end prior to the advent of the advanced Garmin systems (and when I flew for real in the 70's and 80's it was all steam gauge).  🙂

I'm really enjoying this sim and its immersion promise but some very decent aircraft are being hamstrung by glitchy nav systems, such as Rob's wonderful Bonanza.  Today I had an instrument that didn't miss a beat.  Everything I tried worked, period.  There are a number of items that are not yet functioning and some which I'm still attempting to discern, but what was operational took every touch I gave to it and it didn't glitch.  Hopefully, this will continue with the other g1000-equipped aircraft and make all of them far more usable.  So, kudos to those who developed this!

• Like 6

Randall Rocke

2 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

is a good thing ?

I do not see what the top-tier airliners have to do with the G750 issue. I paid good money to fly in the boondocks, in P3D, the Comanche and 182 from A2A and the An-2 Sibwings with the Flight1 G750 and the money I spent was entirely worth it. Great tool. I also used it in the T-Duke.  Should I be ashamed 1/ to try to get closer to real ops (elitish ?) 2/ to have been able to afford it (rich ?) ? I ain’t 😇.

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam