Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

PMS50 GTN750 Mod - Just Wow

1 hour ago, thecanarian said:

I'm having concerns about installing this gauge. I love the (Flight1) GTN 750, based on Garmins' own product, and have been using it for years BUT I'm old enough to remember back in the 80's and 90's that there were many litigations against smaller software companies stealing the "look and feel" of popular software. If this gauge has been sanctioned by Garmin then I don't have a problem. Does anyone know ??

Concerning rxp at least, they have garmin agreement (i remember seeing that on their site). I don't know if this mod have it to copy the look, icons, in fact, all graphics elements. (It could be nice to have this point clarified if not).

Edited by nirgal76
  • Like 1

i9-10850k - Asus Tuf Z490+ - 32 Go DDR4 - RTX 3070 8Go MSI Trio X

8 hours ago, thecanarian said:

If this gauge has been sanctioned by Garmin then I don't have a problem. Does anyone know ??

I understand your concern.  I do note that the same concern wouild apply to the GNS, G1000, and G3000 mods as they model and in operation modify the MSFS default behaviors (screen brightness, instrument readings presentations, additional screens, etc.)  So conventional wisdom is that Garmin has not shown up with their own concerns for quite a number of months, so unlikely to burst upon the scene now. 

Also in passing I may point out that Garmin is in intense competition from Avidyne for avionics such as this.  Nearly all of the panel upgrades I am seeing in videos by popular YouTube pilots are to the Avidyne IFD series (310pilot, BaronPilot, etc.)  But to this point in time Garmin is getting all of the MSFS exposure, much of that to aspiring pilots of the future.  For that reason if I were in charge at Garmin I'd let it alone, especially if there is a future promise that MSFS might evolve into a basic but viable training simulator as did its predecessors.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

On 5/11/2021 at 11:36 PM, fppilot said:

What a travesty!  They are critical features for simulation.  Note I said simulation.  I have no interest in entertainment.  I just want a new, complete, and legitimate simulator.

Agreed!!!

Instead we are getting more useless World Updates!

• Like 2

Chris Camp

So, disabling Aerospace messages seem to have solved the crash issues I was having with the premium version.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Thanks for that - something to try...

On another note, according to the documentation, the system is supposed to "automatically" activate the approach after the last enroute waypoint if an approach is included in the flight plan.  I always have an approach in my FP, yet the GTN750 has never activated it automatically.  Instead, as soon as I pass the last waypoint, it notifies me that the approach is not activated (this message will probably disappear if I turn off messaging, so I'll need to keep my eye on things).  I then have to go to the Procedures menu and activate it.

Also, when I change the approach IAF with a Go To command (which works well) the system is supposed to automatically activate the approach within two NM of the new fix - this has also never worked.  So, I once again activate the approach from the menu and all is well.  Does anyone else have these issues or is this unique to my installation?

Randall Rocke

14 minutes ago, RandallR said:

On another note, according to the documentation, the system is supposed to "automatically" activate the approach after the last enroute waypoint if an approach is included in the flight plan.

This is a bit of a mess in MSFS..

In the RW unit, there is a difference between RNAV and ILS approaches.

For an RNAV approach, you do not need to activate the approach at all.. You can, but that means flying directly to the IAF (even if you are already past it!). Just loading the approach is fine, and the autopilot will then fly the entire approach.

For an ILS approach,  you need to switch to VLOC mode before passing the FAF..

There is an option to have the GTN do this for you, automatically.

The MSFS implementation is a mix of all the above and definitely needs sorting out, probably by WT..

The yellow APPR at the bottom of the GTN never appears on the real unit..

Bert

15 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

There is an option to have the GTN do this for you, automatically.

Thanks for the info (when I did my RW flying, I thought VOR navigation was magic)!  I do have the "auto-activate" option turned on in the GTN but it has never worked or is buggy.

For now, I'm pleased to have a lot better functionality than the g1000 basic and mods - I just have to monitor what's happening after the last enroute waypoint.

Randall Rocke

On 5/16/2021 at 1:05 AM, fppilot said:

Are you serious?  What in the earth do you believe RXP uses?  Actual Garmin world nav databases, that's what!  And they are more complete and comprehensive that the Navigraph Beta data for MSFS.  They include the fixes you manipulate to as easily selectible as IAF's in setting up the approach.

How about holds and course rreversals.  And in your second message you indicate you are doing D→.  Does this mod add that capability?

@fppilot Yes I am !    Unless you pay about 10 times the price to Garmin for an actual world nav database with regular cycles as you pay for navigraph.

But the majority of the RXP users are using the navdata from the Garmin trainer, aren't they? - When was the last update for that or how often they get updated? Help me out.

And as a notice - Garmin as well as Navigraph are using the same Jeppesen data.

Of course there is a big difference - Garmin is for Garmin. And RXP offers most of the functions of real Garmins. And for good reasons Garmin does not support all these different "interpretions" of Gamins in any flightsim or sometimes aircraft in flightsims.

As we all know - talking about MSFS here, Asobo has a long way to go until the nav devices in the sim are able to handle the navdata correctly.

I was reffering to actual navdata - not to the functions RXP or the PMS50 GTN mod are offering or how they (can) handle those data. 

Might be one day RXP will be avbl for MSFS. For the time we have the PMS50 GTN - in developement, not complete and a still lot of work to do but way more useable as the G1000 from MSFS - thumbs up ..... 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, stratone said:

But the majority of the RXP users are using the navdata from the Garmin trainer, aren't they? - When was the last update for that or how often they get updated? Help me out.

The current Garmin PC Trainer uses data from May 2020 I believe.  So just on a year old.

36 minutes ago, stratone said:

@fppilot Yes I am !    Unless you pay about 10 times the price to Garmin for an actual world nav database with regular cycles as you pay for navigraph.

False. You need to get around more. My Garmin GTN database is now a year old.  I use real world flight planning sources.  Fltplan.com and Skyvector.  I fly to many different airports in the USA and have had zero issues with the database.  And thanks to friends my GNS database is only two months old. 

OMG! There are more current IRL databases.  Whatever can I do??????  

Fly!  Just fly!  And skip the theatrics! You will not lose your license!  Its a simulator!  If you are concerned then document the discrepencies that robbed you of ...... Oh? What did you get robbed of?  Arrival CHICKN2 changed to CHICKN3?  But comparing the published plates shows zero differences. Same IAFs, same FAFs.  Same vectors.  They sequence in names only, based on pre-determined criteria on aging.  Even the seldom changes in runway numbers based on world magnetic drift do not require changes in the related nav points.  The only related change on the approach plates is a 1° change in the published vector.

Give me a Kit Kat bar!

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

@fppilot     You know what I mean.

As you said, the Garmin GTN (trainer) database is now about 1 year old, thanks to your "friends" yours is two month. How many RXP users have such friends?

As a retired ATC and dispatcher I know what does it mean to use real world flight planning sources. And I know what you can use official, I mean licensed and how much you have to pay for (what's why Garmin cycles are a bit more expensive).

And without any theatrics, I guess you mean yourself, the point was the database for the RXP and the PMS50 GTN. In former threads you complaint about wrong charts, missing IAF eg. and I showed you that navigraph has all what you where missing. I did not say that MSFS or MPS50 GTN can handle all.

Another point - MSFS users are from all other the world and fly all other the world. Skyvector is nice - for the US, anywhere else not really.

Ask yourself why some a/c and PMS50 GTN offer Navigraph integration. MSFS/Asobo should have made a contract with Navigraph not with BlueNav.  

At all - RXP or PMS50 GTN is in generell the wrong question. There is no "or" for the time in MSFS.

Garmin and Navigraph have the same database - Jeppesen. And there aren't so many others - may be you ask Fltpln.com which one they use ....

• Like 1

Turning off messaging seems to have stabilized everything (with the base).  I'll try again with the Premium version.

• Like 1

Randall Rocke

5 minutes ago, RandallR said:

Turning off messaging seems to have stabilized everything (with the base).  I'll try again with the Premium version.

yeah ... that seems to be the word from the devs as well ....  more specifically the airspace messages

For those having CTDs: Disable airspace messages as suggested.
I made some tests to overstress getting the list of airspaces and got a CTD every time so it seems to be an Asobo bug here.
I will investigate more and try to create a Mod that reproduces the issue to be sent to Asobo.
But for now, DISABLE AIRSPACE MESSAGES from the setup menu.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

The CTDs have stopped with Messaging being disabled - now I have a new issue...

I can no longer tune NAV1 or COM1 from the touch screen.  If I click either one the screen just blinks but never goes to the tuning keypad.

Randall Rocke

1 hour ago, RandallR said:

I can no longer tune NAV1 or COM1 from the touch screen.  If I click either one the screen just blinks but never goes to the tuning keypad.

Happens rarely to me as well that it loads in that state. After a simple restart of the flight it loads correctly.

Windows 10 Pro - Ryzen 3 5900X - nVidia Titan X (Pascal) - 32GB DDR4-3600 === Microsoft Flight Simulator